Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2017, 11:25 AM   #1

Fresh Water Tank size?

Hey guys. I just bought a 23' 2005 Salem LE and unfortunately the guy I bought it from could not find the owners manual. I want to sanitize the fresh water holding tank but not sure how many gallons it is. I read where you put a 1/4 cup of bleach for each 15 gallons the tank is. Is there anyone that might no the size, or is there somewhere on the trailer it says? I contacted Forest River to see about getting a manual, but they do not have one for my trailer. The guy sent me a newer model manual and told me everything is kinda generic anyway. Maybe someone on this forum might have an original manual. Would be willing to pay for a copy of it. Anyway thanks for your help, in advance.
Christophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 11:33 AM   #2
Site Team

The original owners manual will be just as generic, as the newer one.
Nearly all RV manufacturers only provide a generic owners manual with no model-specific or brand-specific information.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 11:43 AM   #3

Looking online it appears you could have up to 46 gallons of FW capacity.

At least that's what a 2005 25' Salem is supposed to have.

40 gal's seems to be minimum among most brands.

Sanitize as if it is 45 gallons and just flush real well.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 11:51 AM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

If it's a 23BH, the brochure says it's 41 gallons.

See attached photo of a web page snag from the Wayback Machine web site. (internet archives)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	salem_specs.jpg
Views:	3759
Size:	222.3 KB
ID:	147438  

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 12:22 PM   #5
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christophe View Post
Hey guys. I just bought a 23' 2005 Salem LE and unfortunately the guy I bought it from could not find the owners manual. I want to sanitize the fresh water holding tank but not sure how many gallons it is. I read where you put a 1/4 cup of bleach for each 15 gallons the tank is. Is there anyone that might no the size, or is there somewhere on the trailer it says? I contacted Forest River to see about getting a manual, but they do not have one for my trailer. The guy sent me a newer model manual and told me everything is kinda generic anyway. Maybe someone on this forum might have an original manual. Would be willing to pay for a copy of it. Anyway thanks for your help, in advance.
Unless the previous owner has removed them, there should be a yellow decal on the inside of the entrance door, and one near the outside tire specs & load data decal that states your weight of a full load of fresh water (FW). Divide that number by 8.3 and that will give your FW capacity in gallons.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 10:06 PM   #6

Make sure to include the Hot Water Heater in the total

Some manufacturers include the 6-10 gallons the water heater holds in their total fresh water specs. It should be sanitized also so make sure the water heater bypass valves are letting the water flow through the heater.

I would recommend removing the plug/anode and let it drain and then flush the crud from the bottom. Before pulling the plug make sure that you have turned off the water pump and opened a faucet - both hot and cold or you could have a new belt buckle when you loosen the plug and it shoots out.
TV: 1999 Dodge 2500 Cummins 4x4
Honda EU2200i Generator, 300 Watts Solar
Ham Callsign KD7UM
UT_Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 07:36 AM   #7

Thanks Guys

5picker, that is a great chart. It is the 23BH so I will treat it for 41 gals. UT_Grandpa, I will take the plug/anode out of the hot water heater and flush the crap out of it before I treat it with bleach. Thanks so much for your help. We are getting ready for our first voyage soon.
I will keep ya posted.
Christophe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, tank, water, water tank