Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2022, 09:22 PM   #41

Heat

Whenever it gets tough to heat or cool the whole trailer, we put up a curtain that cuts the trailer in half and heat the half we'll be in. We also use electric blankets.
SNHIPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 11:17 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemlockHill View Post
Any advice? We had temps of 2 degrees last night and our camper heater 30,000 btu and 5,000 btu electric fireplace 43 foot camper couldn't keep up comfortable temp inside and we had ice and frost in a few areas. It stayed around 58 degrees. We added a couple of 1500 watt heaters and temp improved to 66 degrees. In several places we has ice/frost in the camper and we are extremely worried. I've read that it could be humidity. Any advice for improving warmth and keeping interior frost and ice off wallpaper near corners and top of walls. Thank you.
There have been lots (and lots) of suggestions on adding heat. Comfortable may require sleeping bags at night and long johns/insulated clothing during the day. Also lots of suggestions on making the RV more insulated. Since you described you RV as 'drafty', locate and block the drafts.

Humidity and ice forming? Ventilation is really your best bet. Open a vent and turn the exhaust fan on low. The benefit of ventilation will exceed the heat loss.

Your breath has a relative humidity of 100% because it is saturated. That is why you can fog up your glasses regardless of the temperature. The moisture from your breath can release as much as 2 litre per day, depending on how fast you are breathing.

When tent camping in the winter and cold temps I leave the flaps open and just zip the netting to keep the snow out. Otherwise, the tent fabric inside will be covered with ice which melts during the sunny time of the day and gets everything wet.

One additional suggestion for a heat source. Put a 20 lb propane bottle with a double heater like the 'Mr. Heater' or 'Buddy Heater'. Get the type with a thermocouple. Keep away from flammable material. Have the heater between you and the open vent.

I know of people that live in tar paper shacks in New Mexico and South Dakota that make out ok... most of the time.
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2022, 12:20 AM   #43

One thing to understand is most RV's use Aluminum studs in the walls. Some use them in the ceiling and floors as well. Where the studs are, there is no insulation other than the fiberglass and plywood. So where the studs are you might see frost even if it's 70 degrees inside when the outside air is 0 or below.

Add wind and it will be worse. So if you have a -20F windchill even humidity of 20% will cause frost. Not much you can do when it is that cold.

Never use a BlueFlame or any direct combustion non-vented heaters like a Buddy inside your camper or you will have a frosty mess when it finally thaws when it is that cold.

Sounds like you need to upgrade to 42,000 BTU propane furnace. Or hardwire some additional electric heaters to your circuit breaker panel. Like these.
https://www.cadet.glendimplexamerica...-white#x-65215
I have one in our bedroom and one in the area under our bathroom. keeps the floor nice and warm.

You can survive a few days of extreme cold but these 5th wheels are not made for continuous below zero living.

I don't have a Hemispere but did just go through some really cold weather in a 5th wheel here in Central Illinois last week. And today it was 70! Crazy.
Old 12-30-2022, 12:26 AM   #44

Oh, and don't open a vent fan or run a vented dryer. All of that air going out has to come in. And it usually comes in around the doors by your water bay. If it is -10F air, it can freeze your pipes in minutes. I made that mistake. Luckily nothing damaged but was very inconvenient.
Old 12-30-2022, 08:30 AM   #45

Check Inside Cabinets

In Arkansas, in the 20s, we found that even when the living area was warm, items in our overhead storage became wet from humidity. Dehumidifier was the answer, but had to open overheads and even check lowers (and under bed, as someone suggested) to avoid moisture in those areas.
Recently experienced single digit temps in New Mexico and teens in Arizona. Low humidity area, but using only electric heat and warm clothes and bedding kept us cozy. Still kept an eye on overheads.
Alenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2022, 09:46 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemlockHill View Post
Any advice? We had temps of 2 degrees last night and our camper heater 30,000 btu and 5,000 btu electric fireplace 43 foot camper couldn't keep up comfortable temp inside and we had ice and frost in a few areas. It stayed around 58 degrees. We added a couple of 1500 watt heaters and temp improved to 66 degrees. In several places we has ice/frost in the camper and we are extremely worried. I've read that it could be humidity. Any advice for improving warmth and keeping interior frost and ice off wallpaper near corners and top of walls. Thank you.
Sorry I didn't read through all three pages here because we're in a hurry to leave the house but I wanted to add:

Point small fans at the places where frost forms on the wall etc. You have warm enough air to prevent the moisture freezing, but you have a micro-climate in those corners. We bought 4in, 3-speed, USB rechargeable fans from Walmart during the summer that run 8+ hours on low speed and close to that on medium. ($11) Probably sold only seasonally. But you can use regular plug in (120vac) fans if you aren't maxed out with your space heaters. If you push any warmth of air over the surface that frosts, the frost won't form.
Mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 09:06 PM   #47

You stayed at 48 degrees when it was 2 degrees outside??? That is AWESOME!!!
Villagerjjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 02:17 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by doanshop View Post
I know my camper stays warm to -4 no problem I have never camped in anything colder I was in my driveway wanting to see what temps' camper would handle. I believed if it would handle -4 that would be the coldest, I would be camping in if a freak storm would come through plus, I was testing out the Chinn lithium batteries I had installed with internal heaters to see how they would stand up. I found out my 4-season camper is good to 15 then I lose my water when it heated up to 25 outside water started working again. So, for my camper 4 season means 20 and above I have water 15 and below warm but no water. Lines did not freeze and break just froze. My low point drains and freshwater tank drain I cover with Styrofoam minnow buckets.
Good info, thanks! When you loose your water at 15, I think what is happening is the water supply line at the bottom of the fresh water tank is freezing and preventing the pump from getting water. Thats what happened to my (SOB) 5th wheel during the Polar vortex in Texas last year. I dropped the coroplast and saw where the freeze had discolored the tank at the pex connection, also found that the silver space blanket looking stuff wasn't spread across the top of the coroplast. I added foam pipe insulation to the pex and so far haven't experienced anything that cold yet but I think the insulation will make the difference.
440scout is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hemi, hemisphere, salem