Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2021, 05:55 PM   #1

General wall construction

I have evidence of a past water leak on the rear wall of my 2012 312qbud. I want to open up the wall to see what the actual damage is but I have no idea how the walls are attached to the frame. Can anyone provide some insight as to the general construction method?
Daxinarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 06:05 PM   #2

General wall construction

Do you see a vertical seal between panels? That’s where you want to open up. Remove the seal and you’ll see what you need to remove.

2021 Cedar Creek Cottage 40CRS

Victron MultiPlus-II 12/3000/120-50 Solar installation
SacRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 06:16 PM   #3

There isn’t so much a seal as a piece “tape” that matches the wallpaper.
Old 07-21-2021, 07:45 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daxinarian View Post
I have evidence of a past water leak on the rear wall of my 2012 312qbud. I want to open up the wall to see what the actual damage is but I have no idea how the walls are attached to the frame. Can anyone provide some insight as to the general construction method?
It would help if you posted which brand your RV is since many brands use the same model number and it's not listed in your profile.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 08:21 PM   #5

If it is not leaking and everything is dry you may just want to leave it alone.
Just because it got wet at one point does not mean the wall itself is damaged anymore than just some cosmetic evidence on the outside.
Be sure that the outside is sealed up well and go enjoy.
MtBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 07:01 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
It would help if you posted which brand your RV is since many brands use the same model number and it's not listed in your profile.

It is a Salem Hemisphere 312QBUD
Old 07-22-2021, 08:05 AM   #7

When I cut into my wall to add a baggage door I found a solid foam sandwich. The framing is aluminum and the wall was solid foam with two very thin sheets of luan plywood with fiberglass on the outside. All was vacuum sealed together with no easy way to separate the pieces.

THis was on a 2014 hybrid, the outside wall. When I cut the opening I cut too low and cut into the lower aluminum wall frame which appeared to have a wooden core inside the aluminum tubing. The aluminum tube was screwed to the floor frame from the bottom up thru the aluminum.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	corre01.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	259594  

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 08:08 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
When I cut into my wall to add a baggage door I found a solid foam sandwich. The framing is aluminum and the wall was solid foam with two very thin sheets of luan plywood with fiberglass on the outside. All was vacuum sealed together with no easy way to separate the pieces.

THis was on a 2014 hybrid, the outside wall. When I cut the opening I cut too low and cut into the lower aluminum wall frame which appeared to have a wooden core inside the aluminum tubing. The aluminum tube was screwed to the floor frame from the bottom up thru the aluminum.

Thanks, not the answer I hoped for, but it is the answer that I need.
Old 07-22-2021, 08:19 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtBiker View Post
If it is not leaking and everything is dry you may just want to leave it alone.
Just because it got wet at one point does not mean the wall itself is damaged anymore than just some cosmetic evidence on the outside.
Be sure that the outside is sealed up well and go enjoy.

We have been thinking about selling it now before the market gets flooded with used units. It is starting to show its age and there are a few areas where they aren’t “problems” right now, but might become problems in the future. This is one of them. So do I keep the camper with the problems I know about or roll the dice and get something newer (with new and different problems &#129315

I might just pull off the wallpaper, make sure the luan is sound and put up new wallpaper (if I can find it)
Old 07-22-2021, 12:15 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daxinarian View Post
It is a Salem Hemisphere 312QBUD
Moved to Salem sub-forum.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote