Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2017, 12:43 PM   #1

Generator

I have 24RKHL SALEM HEMISPHERE HYPER- lite with a 15,000 BTU AIR CONDITIONER- what size generator do I need to get to be able to run the air conditioner when boondocking and still run other things?
Carl Patterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 01:03 PM   #2

The 15,000 BTU A/C unit, according to most charts, will require 3500 Watts to start but only 1500 watts to keep running.

I would consider nothing less than a 3500 Watt generator. Inverters are a lot quieter than standard generators and also have the ability to be "Paired".

How much power in total you will need to "run other things" will depend on those other things. A microwave, Converter charging batteries, can use a lot of power.

Some find a paired set of 2000 watt inverters to be adequate. You can buy reasonably priced 3500 watt Inverters that can be paired to a max output of 7,000 watts peak, 5500-5800 watts continuous for pretty reasonable prices.

My recommendation (based on what I purchased and works fantastic) would be a Champion 3500 W Inverter with Dual Fuel and Electric Start.

The electric start speaks for itself. The Dual Fuel means I can run it on gasoline or LPG. When running on gasoline at high altitude (over 6,000 feet) I have to change the main jet in the carburetor. When running on Propane(LPG) no change is required. Bought my "Champ" for under $1,000 at Camping World. Half the price of a smaller unit that is Red in color and starts with an "H".

You could start with one and if it isn't up to the task of running the A/C and "other things", merely add the second one along with a pairing kit and you'll have enough power for just about everything, even up to what they run on 50 amp services.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 02:14 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Patterson View Post
I have 24RKHL SALEM HEMISPHERE HYPER- lite with a 15,000 BTU AIR CONDITIONER- what size generator do I need to get to be able to run the air conditioner when boondocking and still run other things?
Carl
Will you be using it in a campground?
Or in the boondocks where no one is nearby?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 06:22 PM   #4

Boondocks- Thank You
Old 08-28-2017, 11:39 AM   #5
Always Learning

I've just ordered a Honda EU2000i and a MicroAir EasyStart. According to their marketing fluff and online forum accounts, the EasyStart makes it so that you can run a 15k A/C off of a 2000W generator.

I'll know in about a week!
Old 08-28-2017, 11:48 AM   #6
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I've just ordered a Honda EU2000i and a MicroAir EasyStart. According to their marketing fluff and online forum accounts, the EasyStart makes it so that you can run a 15k A/C off of a 2000W generator.

Doug, have you not had a generator?

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 12:00 PM   #7

Quote:

Be prepared to order the second one along with the Parallel Kit.

Like I posted earlier, 15,000 BTU units take an average of 3500 Watts to start. You also have to remember that that generator/Inverter is only rated for 2,000 Watts PEAK. Running wattage rating is only 1600 watts.

You may be lucky and get your A/C to start (cross fingers) but don't count on that "other stuff" you referred to in your opening post while the A/C is running. Even battery charging will be a no go.

Here's the chart for your reading pleasure. Note how the "running" wattage of a 15,000 BTU Rooftop RV A/C unit is only 100 watts less than the continuous rating of your choice of generator. Might run the TV and Sound sytem at the same time.

Wattage Chart

The Honda 2000i is great generator but not for that big a task. In towing terms it will be like towing a 6,000lb trailer behind a Ford Explorer. The "Book" says it can be done. The question is "how well".

Old 08-28-2017, 12:24 PM   #8
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Be prepared to order the second one along with the Parallel Kit.

Like I posted earlier, 15,000 BTU units take an average of 3500 Watts to start. You also have to remember that that generator/Inverter is only rated for 2,000 Watts PEAK. Running wattage rating is only 1600 watts.

You may be lucky and get your A/C to start (cross fingers) but don't count on that "other stuff" you referred to in your opening post while the A/C is running. Even battery charging will be a no go.

Here's the chart for your reading pleasure. Note how the "running" wattage of a 15,000 BTU Rooftop RV A/C unit is only 100 watts less than the continuous rating of your choice of generator. Might run the TV and Sound sytem at the same time.

Wattage Chart

The Honda 2000i is great generator but not for that big a task. In towing terms it will be like towing a 6,000lb trailer behind a Ford Explorer. The "Book" says it can be done. The question is "how well".
Mike,
I think you missed the part about Doug also installing the MicroAir Easy Start. There has been lots of discussion here/elsewhere and lots of info on MicroAir's web site about being able to start a 15k unit on a 2000w Honda when using one.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 12:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Mike,
I think you missed the part about Doug also installing the MicroAir Easy Start. There has been lots of discussion here/elsewhere and lots of info on MicroAir's web site about being able to start a 15k unit on a 2000w Honda when using one.
I won't dispute the ability of the MicroAir to get the AC unit started. If they say it will, it probably will. I do recall how the original post mentioned "and other stuff".

Based on the running current which I don't believe the MicroAir does anything to reduce (it's an easy starting device) the continuous load on the 1600 Watt continuous capacity generator will leave about 100 watts left over. Any battery charge current over 8.5 amps will exceed that.

Even with a 3500 watt generator/inverter I've been stymied in trying to get the A/C unit started when I forget to switch off the converter so heavy battery charge current doesn't cause an overload.

Forget microwave while a/c is running too.

Just going off the OP's stated parameters.

Old 08-28-2017, 02:14 PM   #10
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Doug, have you not had a generator?
Nope. We've been slaves to RV parks and the occasional late overnight Wallydocking.

Quote:
I won't dispute the ability of the MicroAir to get the AC unit started. If they say it will, it probably will. I do recall how the original post mentioned "and other stuff".

Based on the running current which I don't believe the MicroAir does anything to reduce (it's an easy starting device) the continuous load on the 1600 Watt continuous capacity generator will leave about 100 watts left over. Any battery charge current over 8.5 amps will exceed that.

Even with a 3500 watt generator/inverter I've been stymied in trying to get the A/C unit started when I forget to switch off the converter so heavy battery charge current doesn't cause an overload.

Forget microwave while a/c is running too.

Just going off the OP's stated parameters.

Mike, you present solid info. You're right that the OP asked about "other stuff" and you definitely seem right that there isn't much left over for it.

I'll be interested to see if I can charge my batteries and run the A/C. If I cannot, that very well could be the deciding factor of a second generator (or accelerating my solar decision).
Old 08-28-2017, 06:31 PM   #11

Quote:

I'll be interested to see if I can charge my batteries and run the A/C. If I cannot, that very well could be the deciding factor of a second generator (or accelerating my solar decision).
If you have some time in the early part of the day when the A/C is not required, consider starting the generator and charging as long as you can before starting the A/C. Get as much charge into the batteries so the charger switches to trickle mode. Shut off Converter, Start A/C, and after it's run long enough to establish operating pressures (which equal current draw) switch the Converter back on and see if the generator can carry the load.

You may have to exercise some intensive "load management" and do all the "other stuff" before you need the full output for the A/C.

Old 08-30-2017, 04:26 PM   #12

Generator noise

Generators make noise - the cheaper the generator is, the louder it seems to be. For me? Honda make the best, most reliable and quiet generators. Everything else just tries to be that good.
BTW 3500W would be a minimum.

Quote:
DavidBower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 04:48 PM   #13

I have a Coleman mach III a.c. that is 15000 BTUs. My a.c. already had the hardstart capacitor in it.

I was able to run the Champion 3400 dual fuel alone without the parallel kit and a second generator. I love the dual fuel as it provides options. I got about 12.5hrs running off a 20lb propane tank. Ran the a.c. in eco mode even starting the whole trailer with inverter and tv going. I split the propane adaptor to run off the trailer tanks with low pressure quick connect so I can use the 30lb tanks as well.

Using gas I got 4-5 hrs from a full tank on the generator. It has a 1.1 or 1.2 gal tank. 5 gallons gave me about a day. You can buy extended run tanks for about $200ish but have not done that yet.

If you don't have the hard start capacitor they are about $10 and are pretty simple to install but hard to figure out which you need. The easy start could get you there as well for $350 and some sweat equity with a smaller generator if you wanted.

I had a Yamaha 2000is already that I knew was underpowered. I could have done the easy start or a second Yamaha but if I upgraded trailers I am hosed and have to buy 2 new generators. I went with the champion 3400 in case of the upgrade. DW won't "camp" without A.C. and this gave me room to breath and upgrade if needed.

Sound testing the Yamaha was quieter but comperable when the Yamaha was at full speed and the champion was on eco. This is what you would do for an easy start. The Yamaha sounded better as well (more soothing I guess). Let's be honest they were both loud but you could talk near them and they just drone on once you are inside the trailer.

A few other ideas I looked at
The HF units for 600. I don't think the parallel kits are available for them yet but worth a look.
Boliy is light and quiet.
Honda's are good parallel 2000s or 3500.
Yamaha 2000s parallel or 3500.

Yamaha and champion have fuel shutoff where I don't think the Honda does but should check. All are about $1000-$2000 a generator with parallel kits about $100 plus a second generator. Honda and Yamaha are more expensive bit I think they are both a bit quieter than the champion from my experience. I tested the Yamaha and heard hondas previously next to my yamaha.

Do what works for you. Best of luck.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 04:58 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBower View Post
Generators make noise - the cheaper the generator is, the louder it seems to be. For me? Honda make the best, most reliable and quiet generators. Everything else just tries to be that good.
BTW 3500W would be a minimum.
Sitting in a campground with my Champion 3500w Inverter running the dog and I took a walk. Passed a couple of Honda 3000i's and paused to listen to them. When I got back I listened carefully to mine.

Could not see how the Honda's were "$1,000 dollars quieter". Fact is, they sounded the same, nice and Quiet.

For what one Honda sell for one can buy two Champion 3500w Inverters and either use one as a spare or parallel them to power a whole bunch of equipment.

Old 08-30-2017, 05:45 PM   #15

Quote:
...Could not see how the Honda's were "$1,000 dollars quieter"....
Hmmm, my Honda EX5500 Generator is only 65 db at full load - 100% duty cycle. Still running perfect after 15 years!
DavidBower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 06:13 PM   #16

Also ,check into the Firman inverters.. They have made generators for others for years..and now have their own "name branded". My 3200/2900 runs my 15k a/c plus extras..I think it's 58 to 62 decibels.. 2/10 of a gallon per hr.. Costco at $549. Includes wheels, handle, two lifting points..and fits UNDER a tonneau cover. Great warranty from Firman..and even better from Costco. Also live customer service from AZ I believe.
William_Tell46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 02:46 PM   #17

Quote:

This sound like a stretch for 15 BTU A/C, but if it works watch using any other appliances. If not, use another 2000i with both linked. I use this with an auxilary boat tank, extra caps with fuel line attached and the Honda's will pump the fuel without gravity feed. Saves trips to the pump as the 2000 only has a gallon tank.
Happy Camping.
Ttramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 07:22 PM   #18

My son-in-law is an electrical engineer and he says I need at least a 7000 watt generator for my 15000 btu ac and be able to run other electrical appliances - refrigerator, converter , tv etc. He also says it needs to be either a Yamaha or Honda because they are better for the frequency and harmony and won't blow your appliances , ac etc. like other brands. Any thoughts ?
Old 09-01-2017, 09:35 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
My son-in-law is an electrical engineer and he says I need at least a 7000 watt generator for my 15000 btu ac and be able to run other electrical appliances - refrigerator, converter , tv etc. He also says it needs to be either a Yamaha or Honda because they are better for the frequency and harmony and won't blow your appliances , ac etc. like other brands. Any thoughts ?
I'm sorry but your SIL is wrong.
Plus probably you won't an inverter generator that big, unless you parallel two 3500w inverter generators.

Many run their 15k a/c with a quality 3000w+ inverter generator.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 09:59 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
I'm sorry but your SIL is wrong.
Plus probably you won't an inverter generator that big, unless you parallel two 3500w inverter generators.

Many run their 15k a/c with a quality 3000w+ inverter generator.
Which you can do with two 3500W Champion Inverters for the price of one honda 3000i.

Plus get power with low harmonic distortion. Concerned about electronics, just plug them into a small line conditioner or surge protector.

The issue usuall isn't whether or not a 15K A/C will run on a 3000i, it's whether or not it will do it while charging batteries, running the microwave, making coffee, power the TV/stereo and for good measure I'll throw in a "curling iron". Some people want to run the same things as at home, all off one small generator.

Tags
generator