Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2011, 09:54 PM   #1

help!! New Salem has several problems

I have owned an travel trailer for 10 years. I recently traded in my old trailer for a new one. In June I purhased a 2012 Salem 31' 312QBUD. I was convinced the trailer, layout and quality was superior. Still love the layout, but I feel the trailer is somehow compromised. I have used the trailer for 16 days. (not at full funtional capability) Please read the list below and tell me what you think. I have contacted the dealer as well as Forest River and their response to whatever I say is "we will make your trailer like new" and "we will fix it so it is better than new". I feel as if I will now own a "used" trailer 8 weeks into owning it not to mention the 3 weeks I have not been able to use it.

I do not know what to do. Is it industry standard for dealerships and corporations to make those claims? Is my expectation of exchanging this trailer for a new one out of the question and they can have their used "fixed better than new" trailer?????

Probelms or broken items:
1) shower/tub has leaked twice. now leaking under wall into hallway (dealer fixed, still leaking)
2) both slides leaked into the trailer and soaked carpet on first trip (dealer fixed. no leaks as of yet)
3) kitchen sink was installed improperly and would not drain (dealer fixed)
4) storage drawers (6 of them) in living, dining, and back bedrooms would not stay closed (dealer fixed)
5) carpet has staples pulling up (dealer fixed, still occurring)
6) outdoor kitchen hatch door is not square. screws have rubbed metal off in four places. wont close properly
7) 9 cabinet doors screws are stripped on hinges and cannot be tightened
8) 1 cabinet door has come off completely
9) 5 cabinet latches are loose and screws are stripped and cannot be tightened
10) floor creaks in two places when walking on it
11) outdoor shower head drips continuously
12) indoor shower system "howls" when using it
13) rear tire went flat while we were camping
14) undercarriage weather guard paneling is loose in several places and cut-out access door to electrical keeps falling off
15) awning leaks in center where it is attached to trailer
16) awning will not roll up properly. It unfurls and waffles in places
17) BOTH living room and rear bedroom couch frames have pulled out from walls. not attached to studs
18) trim falling off in 2 places
19) one storage cabinet jamb is split from improper installation of cabinet latch
20) screws are stripped on master bedroom accordian door

21) nails are poking through faux leather window and seat covers
22) tail light cover has fallen off and cannot be put back on
23) trailer will not stabilize when parked

If you are an experienced RV'er or have knowledge of the procedures and/or legalities with this type of situation, I would appreciate your feedback!

THANKS!!!!
sally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 10:25 PM   #2

What is it your looking for us to say or do? You have multiple threads covering the same topic. We already get your miffed and have a problem. Multiple suggestions have been given.
Several options are available.
1.) Be patient and work with FR to get issues resolved
2.) Trade it in now and take a hit. Its now a used unit as you drove it off the lot
3.) Hire an attorney and take your chances. Just know that is not a quick process
4.) Do nothing and let it continue to eat your lunch.

Pick one.
Koodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 10:32 PM   #3

Welcome to the world of Forest River product ownership. Although there are those which seem happy from the start, ours was also very problematic from the start. We only had it in our possession for 9 months out of the first 24 months. There is nothing more frustrating than making payments on a fifth wheel which is 1800 miles away (it went back to the factory twice). About the only encouragement I can offer is that Forest River did stand behind their product and finally get everything right. It has been trouble free for 3 years now.

Glenn & Beth (Dad & Mom)
David & Audra (16 year old twins)
2006 Dodge Power Wagon (Adventure & Tow Vehicle)
2006 Rockwood 8281SS (Home away from Home)
Glenn5995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 11:02 PM   #4

This is the exact same post you made under this thread; http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ase-15486.html
Posting the same post under different thread titles will more than likely get you less sympathy, also less help.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:03 AM   #5

As Koodog said, what advice are you looking for? FR said they would do the repairs, some of them have already been completed. Not sure why you think FR Salem's line was "superior". It's no worse or better then most TT's, but it's not superior that's for sure. Carpentry work is so-so, but overall construction isn't too bad. But I would say it's more a "budget" line when comparing models at RV shows.

Perhaps you have unrealistic expectations. I have bought many new things; cars, houses, etc. Without fail I would always have a list of issues that needed to be addressed post-purchase, some unfortunately are never completed satisfactorily. But I picked my battles, and didn't let it ruin my life.

Wish you luck with the camper...

PS Please don't cross post
Old 09-14-2011, 09:07 PM   #6
Alm

Work with the dealer, then the factory. If I'm allowed to say, being a prospective buyer myself - all problems are not unusual in Salem line, and everybody had at least some of it, but you've got more than your fair share. I too have impression that Salem is a budget line, but why in addition to cheaper parts and materials it has to be crappy workmanship as well - I can't understand. Perhaps a Monday morning assembly.
Alm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 08:22 PM   #7

Or a Friday afternoon start....
We've got a piece of window trim which won't stay put, just enough clip not to fly off and go through someones vehicle behind me on the road.

Document, Document, Doccument give the dealer the opportunity to take care of the issues, and then the manufacturer. If all fails - then have all your records in place and get legal or represent yourself. I had to do it with my 2010 ford car. Every product sold in USA and in Canada - new or used has to perform for a generally accepted period of time for its intended purpose, regardless of implied warranties. Generally its a Judge that MAKES THAT PERIOD OF TIME determination.

Good luck
MilCop4523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 12:51 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alm View Post
Work with the dealer, then the factory. If I'm allowed to say, being a prospective buyer myself - all problems are not unusual in Salem line, and everybody had at least some of it, but you've got more than your fair share. I too have impression that Salem is a budget line, but why in addition to cheaper parts and materials it has to be crappy workmanship as well - I can't understand. Perhaps a Monday morning assembly.
I have owned my Salem Cruise Lite for a year without any big problems at all. I have some small issues taken care because I'm picky but had more work done to any one of the new cars than I brought in my life than I have with the trailer. Maybe my trailer was on the Tuesday assembly line....

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 02:23 AM   #9
Alm

People are not created equal, you know... It's understandable frustration after somebody's paid same or more than for a car, and it's not flawless. But... it's really about different expectations or tolerance level of different people. When I look at that long OP list - there is hardly anything that I personally find worthy of lost summer time. Sink doesn't drain... oh well, I never called a plumber to my home kitchen, wouldn't have called it to trailer too, warranty or not; tire went flat - put on a spare and get a reimbursement when and if you happen to be near dealer's; carpet coming off - I don't think carpet has any business being in trailer at all, it gets wet, it collects sand - and coming off indeed :-)... loose screws on cabinet doors - Ok, put in a Gitrot or epoxy and/or larger screw, definitely a crappy cabinetry on this one (either particle board quality or assembling), but taking it to the factory because of that - I wouldn't, unless it were off-season and I had no use for trailer. May be his previous trailer was simpler and smaller, with fewer things to go wrong. Big trailer with slides is not a home, it is moving and vibrating, but it is not all-metal like a car either, so...
Alm is offline   Reply With Quote