Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2019, 07:41 AM   #1

Hemisphere 272RL/273RL Question

Just got a Hemisphere 273RL. I wanted slide toppers. I really like that they keep the slide roof cleaner and also keep a lot of water off the flat roof of the slide. The dealer said that a topper would not fit under the awning which extends over the door side (curb side) slide out. We camp a lot in places with a fair amount of wind. With our previous trailers we rarely extended the awning other than to dry it out after rain storms. The dealer suggested partially extending the awning to cover the slide roof. Another thing that I have found is that I can not get much pitch to the awning if I tilt it to the rear of the trailer. I can get more angle tilted to the front but have to be careful that the door does not scrape the awning. I put a pool noodle on the edge of the slide to try to protect the awning from rubbing on it.

So, how do other owners of 272RL/273RL handle this. Any comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Trailer traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 03:48 PM   #2

Wow!! 240+ views and no comments about how/when 272/273RL owners deploy the awning.

Do you stake it down to help resist the wind? Has anyone found a slide topper that will fit between the slide and the awning?
Trailer traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 03:26 PM   #3

272RL slide topper

I just do what your dealer suggested. Most times only leave the awning out past the slide about 4 inches.

I only extend awning fully when I'm at the site and retract to the slide covered position when going away from the site. I never staked it. I considered this layout as a bonus since I only put one slide topper on the opposite slide room. I've always had slide toppers for the usual reasons. No sweeping, cleaner/drier, cooler, quieter(except when windy).

I never change the pitch and let the weight of the water, when raining, dip the awning as needed to dump the water.
blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hemisphere