Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2015, 02:42 PM   #1

Hemisphere Water Heater switch

We have a switch labeled Water Heater on our control panel. Two positions: up is labeled DSI which is Direct ignition for the gas burner I believe. down is labeled FLT ? what is that and what does it mean? Is the down position for electric heater element operation? (I hope) We just took delivery of our RV and didn't ask enough questions during the walk-thru I guess. (tech seemed to be in a hurry).
Thanks for any info on this issue. Our previous 5er, HHII had a separate switch for electric water heater operation (with a light for status). Seems like the right way to go. I hope we don't have to go to the outside heater compartment to switch it on and off each time (or even use the breaker - that is asking for trouble I think).

Traveling the highways & bi-ways . . .
with our girls, the maltese pups .
Happy Trails
2Vals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 02:45 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Vals View Post
We have a switch labeled Water Heater on our control panel. Two positions: up is labeled DSI which is Direct ignition for the gas burner I believe. down is labeled FLT ?

(The Fault/FLT) light is not the down position, but a light that comes on if the propane doesn't ignite) The switch just turns the propane/DSI on and off. If I remember correct, the little red light bulb is between the words DSI and FLT which both pertain to the light, not the switch. The light shows a DSI Fault.

what is that and what does it mean? Is the down position for electric heater element operation? (I hope) We just took delivery of our RV and didn't ask enough questions during the walk-thru I guess. (tech seemed to be in a hurry).
Thanks for any info on this issue. Our previous 5er, HHII had a separate switch for electric water heater operation (with a light for status). Seems like the right way to go. I hope we don't have to go to the outside heater compartment to switch it on and off each time (or even use the breaker - that is asking for trouble I think).

Sorry, but many Suburbans are that way. We have threads on where members have actually modified theirs to add an inside switch for the electric heating element
See if this helps. You have a very frequently asked question that the dealers fail to explain:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ore-36197.html

EDIT: Is this similar to the light you have?
Attached Images

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 10:39 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
See if this helps. You have a very frequently asked question that the dealers fail to explain:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ore-36197.html

EDIT: Is this similar to the light you have?
Thank you, thank you oh learned one! That is indeed exactly what I have and your informative explanation provides the looked for information.
Unfortunately, that means I (we) don't have an electric on/off switch that is conveniently located in the RV cabin. What are these guys thinking, huh FR??

I think I will buy a spare heating element and take my chances.

Traveling the highways & bi-ways . . .
with our girls, the maltese pups .
Happy Trails
2Vals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 08:25 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Vals View Post
Thank you, thank you oh learned one! That is indeed exactly what I have and your informative explanation provides the looked for information.
Unfortunately, that means I (we) don't have an electric on/off switch that is conveniently located in the RV cabin. What are these guys thinking, huh FR??

I think I will buy a spare heating element and take my chances.
You are very welcome. As long as you remember that you turned it on (using a checklist or something like I described in the link), you should be OK to go.... as you will be reminded to turn it off.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, water, water heater