Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2021, 05:40 AM   #1

Installing new steps and where to buy?

I just recently purchased a 2018 Forrest River Salem FSX 178rb travel trailer. I'm wanting to replace the steps going into trailer with something not so sponge as the factory steps. Does anyone know what I should go with and how difficult it is to install? I'm looking at several on line from etailer.com camperid.com and Amazon.com and a couple of used ones my wife found on FB marketplace. Just not sure what to look for, a front mounted or over the sill mounted one?!?!?
Laundrymanzfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 06:44 AM   #2

Go to Lippert directly (https://store.lci1.com/solid-step) and avoid non stocking dealers as they just drop ship from Lippert and other manufacturers.
Old 10-18-2021, 07:01 AM   #3

Another option might be Torklift revolution steps. They replace the factory style springboard steps if that's what you have.

http://https://www.etrailer.com/RV-and-Camper-Steps/TorkLift/TLA7802.html
whirledpeaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 08:59 AM   #4

We went with the Lippert Solid Step over the Morryde Step Above due to the larger top step, very easy to install, getting the old steps out was the hardest part. RVUpgradestore.com had the best price at the time, I just checked and they have gone up almost $100 since we purchased ours but still cheaper than Amazon at this time for model 791575 Quad 30", not sure what model you need.
2017 Heartland Cyclone 3800
2016 Ford F350 6.7 DRW
B&W Companion
pjones1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 09:00 AM   #5
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by whirledpeaz View Post
Another option might be Torklift revolution steps. They replace the factory style springboard steps if that's what you have.

http://https://www.etrailer.com/RV-and-Camper-Steps/TorkLift/TLA7802.html
I'll second the Torklift steps. I'm up past 5 years with my steps because I had them moved from my old rig to the new one when we traded. Wife and I LOVE them.
Old 10-18-2021, 12:41 PM   #6

Replacement Strps

Torklift revolution steps. They replace the factory style springboard steps if that's what you have.
I store my RV 5th wheel sling side other RV.
I could not use the fixed steps as they need LOTS of room to put down.
THE TORTLIFT steps are perfect. Easy install.

All aircraft aluminum.
lckeehne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 12:58 PM   #7

I bought new steps from my selling dealer when I bought my rig, threw them in the bed of my TV, brought them home, and I installed them myself in about 45 minutes...including digesting the instructions. I installed them before the rig's maiden voyage. The factory steps are still brand new...and available to anyone who wants them.
https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-RV_...YaAmo3EALw_wcB

One caution on this style of steps. The side rails make "great" slides. If you step on the side rail instead of the step, you'll be on the ground before you know it! Ask me how I know...

Why would that happen? New rigs have friction doors, and it's not uncommon for one to not open the door widely enough to have a clear shot at the steps...and place your foot on the side rail instead of the step.

The second issue with these stow-inside steps is that they can pose a problem if you are parked in tight quarters...maybe at a storage site. Not an issue for me. I park in my driveway at home.

Third, in the rare event where you setup on a site where the curb side is higher than the road side of your rig, these steps might be too long and require digging a hole for the feet. I've done this once in two years. On that site, I had to setup "backwards"...with the curb side facing away from the lake. No big deal. "Improved sites with "paved" pads don't have such problems. I carry a pick-mattock with me at all times to "improve" primitive sites...such as digging a hole for the uphill (road side) tires on significant lake-side side-slopes...to aid with leveling.

But with those provisos, I wouldn't trade mine for the TorkLifts for two reasons.
1) I boondock exclusively, and this means going down ATV trails and over rough terrain full of whoop-de-doos and over ridges. My steps stow inside and don't eat up ground clearance. TorkLifts hang down under the rig. My factory steps hung down in harm's way, and on my previous rig, I had to carry a sledge hammer to straighten them out after grounding them on the way to and from chosen sites. (Photo) In fairness, the TorkLifts don't hang down as far as the factory steps on my old PUP, but you get the idea.
2) The TorkLift's MANY articulation points are an issue if you travel on muddy or dusty roads. Far too much "monkey motion" for me. If you go off the beaten track, anything with all those scissors joints will need regular cleaning and lubrication. My steps store 100% inside the rig, and they stay clean. But that's a preference... If you only go to RV parks, all those exposed "hinges" won't get clogged up with grit quite as much.

For those who gripe about the swing up steps carrying and dumping a lot of dirt inside the rig, ever heard of a whisk broom? Two seasons of boondocking every weekend on often unimproved sites, and dumping dirt inside is just not a thing. I sweep the steps before I fold them.

Those are my thoughts...worth every penny you paid for them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Camper Stairs1.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	264613  
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 01:02 PM   #8

P.S. I lifted that old PUP to get more ground clearance, because the stairs were too vulnerable, and they were too narrow to allow for installation of an after-market stair.
Old 10-18-2021, 09:13 PM   #9

Bouncy Entrance Steps

Another product to consider.
Lippert also makes a product that fastens to the underside of the basic RV step product and adjusts to the distance to the ground to take the bounce out of the steps.
A much simpler and less expensive solution.
Not as elegant but the result is a solid entrance step.
Quilter3446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 11:03 PM   #10

I'm another Torklift owner. My 250 lb buddy jumped on the middle step after I installed them, next to zero movement.

Install was easy, I did it myself. As recommended, I detached the steps from the frame ( a couple of bolts). Installed the frame (4 bolts). Reinstalled the steps. All told, it took way longer to get the old steps off than the new ones one on. Install was maybe 15 minutes.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 11:09 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmoore13 View Post

But with those provisos, I wouldn't trade mine for the TorkLifts for two reasons.
1) I boondock exclusively, and this means going down ATV trails and over rough terrain full of whoop-de-doos and over ridges. My steps stow inside and don't eat up ground clearance. TorkLifts hang down under the rig. My factory steps hung down in harm's way, and on my previous rig, I had to carry a sledge hammer to straighten them out after grounding them on the way to and from chosen sites. (Photo) In fairness, the TorkLifts don't hang down as far as the factory steps on my old PUP, but you get the idea.
2) The TorkLift's MANY articulation points are an issue if you travel on muddy or dusty roads. Far too much "monkey motion" for me. If you go off the beaten track, anything with all those scissors joints will need regular cleaning and lubrication. My steps store 100% inside the rig, and they stay clean. But that's a preference... If you only go to RV parks, all those exposed "hinges" won't get clogged up with grit quite as much.

For those who gripe about the swing up steps carrying and dumping a lot of dirt inside the rig, ever heard of a whisk broom? Two seasons of boondocking every weekend on often unimproved sites, and dumping dirt inside is just not a thing. I sweep the steps before I fold them.

Those are my thoughts...worth every penny you paid for them.

You do realize that Torklift sells a "store inside" version? Takes care of all of your issues. Has added benefits, can be deployed in a usable format as long as you can open your door to near 90 degrees. Also, while not necessarily easy, because they are stored in a compressed format, you CAN get into your trailer without deploying them.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 11:34 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
You do realize that Torklift sells a "store inside" version? Takes care of all of your issues. Has added benefits, can be deployed in a usable format as long as you can open your door to near 90 degrees. Also, while not necessarily easy, because they are stored in a compressed format, you CAN get into your trailer without deploying them.
News to me and good to know. Thanks!!
Old 10-19-2021, 12:34 PM   #13
D W

Just a heads up, if you choose MORryde's make sure you use the "Step Qualifier" on their website to ensure you get the correct model to ensure fit.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 08:25 PM   #14
Canadian Member

I’m also a Torklift user and really like them. I have the Torklift GlowStep Revolution Uprising version that stores in the door. They were very easy to install. We find them easy to use even with my bad back and easy to clean with a stiff bristled whisk.

The Torklift steps replaced a set of the original MORryde StepAbove drawbridge style steps. Here’s a link to my review of the Torklift steps:

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ps-219935.html

The Torklift steps are more expensive than the Lippert and MORryde steps but IMO they are better quality. If you park your trailer in a tight spot close to another trailer or some other object, the drawbridge style steps may be impossible to deploy. That’s where the accordion style Torklift steps really shine.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steps