Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2014, 09:42 PM   #1

Just bought our first TT (2012 Salem 26TBUD) - so now what?

We just purchased our first TT and we're very excited to start using it. We've found all these forums very useful so far. Does anyone have any tips or advice for us? We've never owned a TT before, and all of our camping has been in tents-- so this is a major upgrade for us.
CampNewbies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:48 PM   #2

Salem owner here too Bought my first TT two years ago and love every second of it.
Best advice? Stay in your trailer in your driveway over the weekend. That way you will know what you need
Kuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 10:52 PM   #3
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

So now what? Go out and use it and have some fun!!!
We graduated from 20 years of backpacking to a pop up but only used that a couple times and that was almost 20 years ago too. Bought our first TT this April and loving it.
So, what exactly are you looking for advice on? For instance: how to take care of the chemicals in the tanks? towing, leveling, the difference between using batteries, AC current, hooked to the tow vehicle, propane? Boondocking (which is camping without hooking up to water and electricity)?

Or are you looking for what you need to go out in it such as power cords, wheel chocks, water filter and pressure regulator, sewer hoses, etc.

Kind of a broad topic but if you can be more specific, I have no doubt you'll get a wealth of help.
Kuba is right, driveway camp for a couple nights, and you'll soon find out what you need that you don't have.
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 01:33 PM   #4

Just bought a 2014 Salem 26TBUD...just finished mounting a 32" TV, but not sure if the screws used are a good enough anchor, because the wood is thin

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Jcop243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 03:18 PM   #5
Site Team

Congrats on your Salem! My suggestion would be to keep things simple at first. Camping close to home can be helpful as well since you already know the area. Driveway camping can be helpful as well.

When I first started RVing I just focus on buying the items I needed at the time. I did a little borrowing from the house on some items until I figured out what I really needed. And then later I started buying anything and almost everything only to end up returning a lot of unused items.

Good luck.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 03:36 PM   #6

Welcome to the forums from SW Idaho.

If you got any I would suggest you read the manuals for the appliances in your unit.

If you did not get any then copy down the brand name, model and serial number and then print out what you can from the manufacturers sites.

Much information can be gleamed from them that may save you some trouble.

Make a list of the different light bulb numbers inside and out and buy a couple of each for spares, do the same for any fuses it has.

Buy and use a rv surge protector 30 or 50 amp which ever your unit is, portable or hard wired is your choice.

Old 08-07-2014, 06:00 PM   #7

Just bought our first TT (2012 Salem 26TBUD) - so now what?

Thanks so much for all the help so far! We know the people we are buying it from very well, and they've offered to come help us get it set up the first time so we know what we're doing. :-)

Right now, we're trying to figure out what we have and what we still need to get for it. Does anyone know the max size of TV we can put in the entertainment center?

One modification the previous owners did make to it was to remove the three bunks and turn that are into more of a pantry area. They have some shelves they've installed and also have a added a mini fridge to hold drinks. It seems to be very functional and a better use for the space. Our kids are older and the bunks weren't a good size for them anyway.

The previous owners took two of the bunks and added them to the top of the queen mattress in the bedroom, also then adding a mattress pad on top of that. They said it works very well, and the bed is much more comfortable.

We are picking it up next weekend, and I will have to post pictures of it then to show what the pantry looks like.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:02 PM   #8

I mounted a 32" LG LED tv in that space

Jcop243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 06:13 PM   #9

Buy a new sewer hose. I did not and it was not good now have 2 new ones.
lbrunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 06:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcop243 View Post
I mounted a 32" LG LED tv in that space

Jcop, good to know! We were looking at TVs last night, and thought we'd need to go with a 26". My husband will be thrilled!
Old 08-07-2014, 06:28 PM   #11

TONS of things to learn/know. LOL
Since you are new to TT's, start with the basics of hooking it up and unhooking it.
First thing when parking are the chalks, LAST THING to remove are the chalks after you are hooked up and ready to go.
The PANIC you will have when your trailer is moving on you and nothing you can do it about it, will make you a believer. I know this somehow. LOL
I personally make at least two complete walk arounds on my camper before moving it. Check for antenna, jacks up, step up, chalks removed, cotter pins in place on the hitch, wife in tow vehicle (since I am hooked to the truck now).
Then I do it AGAIN, about 25% of the time, I find something on the 2nd walk around, that is why I do it. LOL
Now hook it up and go somewhere and have fun!
markb5900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 07:42 PM   #12

Congratulations.

Get a new credit card with a high limit and low interest... You will need it. Lol

born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2012, 26tbud, salem