Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2012, 06:06 AM   #1

Lights dim and AC not working.

Salem 335 BHBS 35 ft 5th wheel. Full time home. About 6 months ago the lights started going dim if I turned on more than 2 or 3 at the same time. Then they started blinking. Then the fridge and AC stopped working intermitently. Now all the lights and the fridge and the AC don't work at all. All of the outlets still work. The microwave and water heater still work. Any ideas greatly appreciated.
Bikerwayne62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 09:02 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Lights dim, sound like a converter or battery problem. When is the last time the water was checked in the battery? The battery could also be pulling the converter down causing the fridge not to work, As for the AC, it is on it's own breaker, so check that. Not sure where the power for the thermostat comes from. You might also check the voltage at one of the outlets, just to make sure it is near 110 volts, not 90 or something low. If it is low, this could be all your problem, and may have damaged some stuff.

One last thing, unplug the power cord, and plug it back in a few times. If you are permanent, the plug may have corroded some, causing a low voltage condition in the camper.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 10:30 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Sounds like a converter problem. I believe that the fridge and A/C also require 12V DC for their control circuit/thermostats so they would be affected also.

With a voltmeter check the voltage across the battery with the shorepower plug in. You should have about 13.5V ( or more) if the converter is working properly.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:01 PM   #4

I checked and cleaned the prongs on my plug. That didn't change anything. I know the battery is bad. If it is plugged into shore power does it still have to have a battery? Thanks for your help.
Bikerwayne62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:19 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerwayne62
I checked and cleaned the prongs on my plug. That didn't change anything. I know the battery is bad. If it is plugged into shore power does it still have to have a battery? Thanks for your help.
Although it does not need a battery to function you in effect tax your converter without it.
Without a battery you may be buying a converter before long.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote