Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2019, 10:34 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaef291234 View Post
I think you hit the nail on the head my friend. This looks like my exact WDH. I found the manual online and p. 21 shows exactly where to lubricate. Thanks so much!!!
You are very welcome and glad I could help. The people on this forum have answered many questions for me and glad I could contribute a little. Happy camping!
Happy Camping!
tonyz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 11:55 AM   #42
MCTroy

Noise tells me it is working. Doesn't bother us and we're dont pull out of sites early to bother anyone else.
MCTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 12:12 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCTroy View Post
Noise tells me it is working. Doesn't bother us and we're dont pull out of sites early to bother anyone else.
Understood. I think the issue was that it wasn't making the noise initially, then it started around the 5th or 6th time that I towed the trailer so I thought something had gone wrong. The more I read the responses in here the more I realize it was probably just the polished metal that wore off and resulted in the noise beginning. I am going to lubricate the hitch heads as the manual recommends and we'll see if that cuts down on the noise. If it doesn't it's really no big deal. It's just like fingernails on a chalk board, but I'm sure I will get used to it.

Thanks for the reply.
Schaef291234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 12:56 PM   #44

Add me to this of those who don’t grease the ball when I had a bumper pull.
Old 02-25-2019, 07:25 PM   #45

White grease is no good for load bearing surfaces. It has no film strength.
Old 02-25-2019, 07:51 PM   #46
1st time RV'r !!

Don't forget to clear off the ball and receiver. From my experience they tend to collect debris (sand, etc) that will grind grooves into the ball and receiver. .
JoeGibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 08:10 PM   #47

So, it's probably been said, but I've got a "been there, done that" for you as I had exactly the same thing happen when we first started. Hitch was quiet, I put some wheel bearing grease on the ball, by time I got home it sounded like the Ghost of Christmas Past.

The thing is, correlation did NOT equal causation.

If you have an Equali-Z-er hitch, that noise is coming from the hitch head, traveling down the square torsion bars to the camper frame and trying to bring back Elvis.

What I do now is at the end of every trip, after taking the load off the torsion bars and swinging them away from the camper, then unhooking, I drive forward about six feet leaving the bars in the hitch.

1. Swing both bars fully wide straight out. Take a paper towel and wipe off all the places where friction occurs IN THE HITCH HEAD ONLY.
2. Swing both bars so they stick straight back and wipe off anything you missed.
3. Wipe just a bit of wheel bearing grease on all the places you can reach.
4. Swing the bars wide again and put just a bit of grease where you couldn't get to before.
5. Wipe the excess grease off the ball. (For no other reason than to keep it off my fat belly when carrying it.)

Hitch is now ready for storage. On the next trip, I put a bit of grease on the ball before lowering the camper on it.

The fact that it started screaming after you lubed the ball is just coincidence. But I've done the above probably two dozen times now and it always gives me a quiet ride and pull in to campgrounds.

Again, this is for the Equali-z-er hitches.
JeffandLori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 08:11 PM   #48

Grease is the word

What I seem to be learning in my limited experience is it is waaay easier to have not enough grease than too much grease. Is too much grease even a thing? (Outside of environment considerations for grease dropping on the street)

Great bourbon-just about any of San Diego’s craft beer
Beachbourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 08:35 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by winger46131 View Post
I know Reese and other hitch Mfr's sell a little jar of grease for the ball.

Mike
The Reese grease work great (it’s a high pressure grease)
You can find it on Amazon
Put a bit on your ball before every hitch and also where your sway bar fit in the hitch area where it swivel top and bottom
Never put grease in the area of the L bracket at the trailer, this will cancel the sway proses
alain h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 08:38 PM   #50

my WDH bars do make those noises, grinding and crunching, I just need to add some good 5th wheel grease, same kind truckers use, just slab it on it will silence the most stubborn noises.
Wildhood37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 08:53 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by alain h View Post

Put a bit on your ball before every hitch and also where your sway bar fit in the hitch area where it swivel top and bottom

Never put grease in the area of the L bracket at the trailer, this will cancel the sway proses

Never use WD 40 on your hitch it attract dirt like you won’t believe
alain h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 09:12 PM   #52
Jayhawker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildhood37 View Post
my WDH bars do make those noises, grinding and crunching, I just need to add some good 5th wheel grease, same kind truckers use, just slab it on it will silence the most stubborn noises.
Putting a lubricant on your weight distribution bars will decrease your anti sway.
Jayhawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 09:24 PM   #53

Lubricant Suggestions For Hitch Ball?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriaBeck View Post
I think the device making the noise is your anti-sway bar. They always make the exact noise you're describing.
I agree with BriaBeck. When I first started going out, just starting down the street it sounded like 2 whales mating. I started putting grease on all the moving parts of the sway bar. Whales went away.
Old 02-25-2019, 10:08 PM   #54
Site Team

Have the equal-i-zer 4 pt wdh.
For the hitch head and ball a good wheel bearing grease will do.
For the sway-bars and L brackets I like to spray them with mower guard.

Over time the graphite will ebbed itself, making a clean black sheen and still allow for friction.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140413_103000_774.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	237.2 KB
ID:	197629

Name:	IMG_20140413_103028_346.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	313.3 KB
ID:	197630

Name:	IMG_20140413_103050_297.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	216.7 KB
ID:	197632
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Dry-Film-...SABEgIIEvD_BwE

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 10:19 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbourbon View Post
What I seem to be learning in my limited experience is it is waaay easier to have not enough grease than too much grease. Is too much grease even a thing? (Outside of environment considerations for grease dropping on the street)

As has been said, it's not the quantity...it's the location.

On the hitch ball and pivots is ok. On the camper "L" brackets is bad.

Too much can attract dirt and crud usually, but I don't see that as an issue here.
JeffandLori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 10:49 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawker View Post
Putting a lubricant on your weight distribution bars will decrease your anti sway.
The anti sway bar on my WDH does such a great job, this is not even a concern. Besides, my weight distribution bars have a grease zerk in the fitting and are supposed to be greased regularly.
Great bourbon-just about any of San Diego’s craft beer
Beachbourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 11:01 PM   #57

Lubricant

I experienced the exact same symptoms after using white lithium grease. I’m curious to see what others suggest.
AG4SM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 11:10 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsleDog View Post
X2 for MARINE wheel bearing grease. god help you if you get it on you or your clothes though. someone makes a hitch ball grease, but i prefer the marine stuff.
I want to help but let me make it perfectly clear; I am Not God.
I worked in the maintenance field for a career. We had a few guys whom wore white shirts. We worked with lots of greases.

The secret is to get as much as you can off of your clothes, spray the remainder with WD40. Wash.
Trust me It has worked for me every time.
ch1ch2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 11:39 PM   #59

Teflon Grease

Quote:
Originally Posted by alain h View Post
I could not find in the product description on the Amazon or on the Reese web site that this grease is "high pressure". In 1987 a Hobart tech gave me a tube of what they use that is approved by the NSF for use in cafeteria and food prep areas. I have used any brand of this Teflon lube and it works well in most applications. For me on the hitch ball, wheel bearing grease is the minimum and when I can get a tub of the tractor (trailer) hitch plate grease, I use it It is very thick and a challenge to get it out of the tub and onto the ball. WEAR GLOVES it is a bear to get off skin and for that matter any of this grease on clothes or on any surface of your rig.
seaswol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 04:42 AM   #60

I had this issue with mine the second year I used it. I thought something wasn't right so I unhooked it and never used it again.
gricardsimplycol is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch