Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2019, 01:24 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriaBeck View Post
That would be my first inclination as to why you now have noise as well.
My EQ 4 point was very quiet when I first started using it and after about 3 trips it began making noises backing up and I attributed it to the paint wearing off at the friction points. I don't even notice the noise anymore.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 01:44 PM   #22

I've seen discussions over the years about whether or not you even need to lube the hitch ball. I don't think the grease substantially reduces wear on the hitch ball. That thing handles the full weight of the trailer and I think it just pushes the grease aside. However, I do use Reese's hitch lube because I think it helps a little with getting the hitch on and off. It probably gets a little on the bottom side of the latch.
jwfrede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 01:50 PM   #23

I tried the grease that is sold for hitch balls and found in real hot weather it was too thin. Since then I just use the whell bearing grease.
Old Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 02:11 PM   #24

here's a picture of the WDH...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WDH.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	152.2 KB
ID:	197230  
Schaef291234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 02:18 PM   #25

Get a grease-less hardball and never worry about the grease or noise again.
I have used the same one for years on four (4) different trailer.
panamabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 02:39 PM   #26

I use the Reese grease, and it works well. As said in earlier posts, the noise maybe coming from your weight distribution bars.
tomrob1161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 02:59 PM   #27
Grammar Pedant

My ball and hitch seem to love each other and it takes quite a bit to detach them. I need to use grease to help with this. Don't overthink it, just grab some all-purpose red axle grease. Done and done.

People have asked a few times about the type of WDH you have and I missed the answer. Check your user manual for the WDH ... download one if you need. There is likely some lubrication instruction inside. For example, the Equal-i-zer hitch has lubrication points ... quieted my WDH down quite a bit.

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 03:09 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67L48 View Post
My ball and hitch seem to love each other and it takes quite a bit to detach them. I need to use grease to help with this. Don't overthink it, just grab some all-purpose red axle grease. Done and done.

People have asked a few times about the type of WDH you have and I missed the answer. Check your user manual for the WDH ... download one if you need. There is likely some lubrication instruction inside. For example, the Equal-i-zer hitch has lubrication points ... quieted my WDH down quite a bit.
Thanks!
Old 02-20-2019, 03:44 PM   #29

noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaef291234 View Post
What is WDH?

This may be the problem
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 03:48 PM   #30

If it's an Equal-i-zer, they sell their own hitch lubricant, which I use on my hitch as well as on my ball. However, you need to carefully follow their instructions exactly where on the hitch to lube it, otherwise you can substantially decrease the sway control. If the dealer didn't give you the hitch manual, you can download it from Equal-i-zer's web site. Equal-i-zer also sells something they call "sway bracket jackets", which can help reduce the noise without impacting the sway control. I've had good results with them.
Mark Ulmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 04:23 PM   #31
StlClay

Hitch Lube

Use this each time I hook up. Always works well
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CCE01372-AC44-4E2F-8D5D-548D542045E0.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	273.1 KB
ID:	197239  

2014 MiniLite with
Nissan Frontier
Stlcaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 04:31 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaef291234 View Post
Just got a new hitch in January. Towed my trailer a few times without any lube/grease and it towed fine. It was a little rough to put on and take off the ball from the tongue because of the lack of lubrication, so I added some white lithium grease.

Now that I have done that it is much easier to attach and detach, however when I tow the trailer now it makes an insane amount of noise every time I take a turn. It's a super loud creaking noise. It doesn't really make sense to me that adding lubrication would cause that noise, but that is the only thing that is different with my rig now.

Does anybody have any suggestions as to what different type of lube/grease that I can add to the hitch ball other than white lithium grease? Or perhaps it's not the grease at all that is causing this noise and it might be something else?

Thanks!
Schaef291234,
The grease is not what is causing the creaking noise. I used some NAPA white lithium until I ran out, now I use some #2 Red Lithium. My hitch also creaks like a haunted house every time I make a turn, too. So I had my son sit ing the back of my truck and tow the TT around the campground before we left and he would tell me what was creaking. Here are the items identified:
1. The anti sway friction bar was too tight so I loosened it completely. That relieved most of the creaking, but not all. It is not bent and I saw nothing out of the ordinary.
2. Each of the torsion rods on the WDH at the receiver. I greased them as well as the ball but it did not stop the creaking.
3. The chains at the ends of the torsion bar to the tongue. Nothing to lube here other than the swing joint on the shackle/chain lift. No effect.
4 The hitch receiver attachments to the truck frame. I crawled under the truck and put a torque wrench on each bolt up to at least 150ft-lbs. I managed a partial turn on each bolt.

It still creaks, but at least I am not as concerned that the whole thing is going to fall off and pass me up on the highway. I can't live without the anti sway friction bar, else my TT will pull me off the highway when hit with a good gust of wind. So, I just live with the creaking and don't get anxios when I hear it.

I suggest you lube the moving parts of the hitch (Ball, Ball keeper inside the tongue, both torsion arms where they pivot on the hitch. to relieve the rubbing of metal on metal. Also, I would suggest you check the tightness of the bolts mounting the receiver hitch to the TV chasis. Then you can relax and not worry about the whole thing falling off!

Good Luck with it & good camping .... Swampy

2014 287 BHBE; 1981 JayRaven: Predator 3500i - Call Home Pearl River, Louisiana. on The Honey Island Swamp
https://www.forestriverforums.com/at...pic81807_1.gif
Swampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 04:36 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy View Post
Schaef291234,
The grease is not what is causing the creaking noise. I used some NAPA white lithium until I ran out, now I use some #2 Red Lithium. My hitch also creaks like a haunted house every time I make a turn, too. So I had my son sit ing the back of my truck and tow the TT around the campground before we left and he would tell me what was creaking. Here are the items identified:
1. The anti sway friction bar was too tight so I loosened it completely. That relieved most of the creaking, but not all. It is not bent and I saw nothing out of the ordinary.
2. Each of the torsion rods on the WDH at the receiver. I greased them as well as the ball but it did not stop the creaking.
3. The chains at the ends of the torsion bar to the tongue. Nothing to lube here other than the swing joint on the shackle/chain lift. No effect.
4 The hitch receiver attachments to the truck frame. I crawled under the truck and put a torque wrench on each bolt up to at least 150ft-lbs. I managed a partial turn on each bolt.

It still creaks, but at least I am not as concerned that the whole thing is going to fall off and pass me up on the highway. I can't live without the anti sway friction bar, else my TT will pull me off the highway when hit with a good gust of wind. So, I just live with the creaking and don't get anxios when I hear it.

I suggest you lube the moving parts of the hitch (Ball, Ball keeper inside the tongue, both torsion arms where they pivot on the hitch. to relieve the rubbing of metal on metal. Also, I would suggest you check the tightness of the bolts mounting the receiver hitch to the TV chasis. Then you can relax and not worry about the whole thing falling off!

Good Luck with it & good camping .... Swampy
Thank you!
Old 02-20-2019, 05:19 PM   #34

The people I talk to that have weight distribution and sway control provided by the friction of an arm and L bracket all get to listen to the "song of the hitch".
I found Equal-i-zer makes a polymer "jacket" that fit some other brands. They are about $21, so worth a gamble. It significantly reduced the noise on my setup.
Every time I pull in somewhere and the "song" starts, I get a lot of looks.

The only quiet excellent performing WDH was a Hensley. I sold it when I thought there would be no more bumper pulls, and now I cannot afford one. Eliminated all sway, no noise, just a hook up learning curve. Wish I still had it.
Most coincidences are carefully planned
Jeffjeeptj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 07:54 PM   #35
Jayhawker

If you have the Equal-i-zer 4-point hitch this is the recommended lubrication points on the head. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0721.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	302.4 KB
ID:	197251  
Jayhawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 08:24 PM   #36

I got hold of a product called "Fluid Film" at Lowe's which is a lanolin based lubricant. I first tried it on my 3 point hitch on my tractor which was frozen tight. Sprayed it on and waited a couple days and when I tried it again, I could just turn it by hand - whereas before I couldn't even move it with a wrench. This past summer I tried it on my hitch ball on the trailer. It is a light film and doesn't attract dirt and stays on the ball. Water doesn't wash it off. Comes in a spray can and is easy to apply. It was also a lot neater than the grease I was using. This winter I put it on my snow thrower shoot that always gets iced up and freezes so you can't turn it. It worked on that, too, repelling the snow and keeping it free turning, even though snow was caked all around it. The stuff isn't cheap - about $9.00 a can, but, I also found it at my local, independent tractor sales company, so, it is possible to get it at more than one place. I only had to spray it on the hitch ball one time the entire season and it kept the ball lubed and protected it from rust too. I'll know more when I try it again this season, but, it looks promising. I am also using it on a lot of other things. Just make sure you shake the can until the ball inside rattles well.
ProfChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 08:52 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawker View Post
If you have the Equal-i-zer 4-point hitch this is the recommended lubrication points on the head. Hope this helps.
Great! ! I will look to see which brand I have. Thank you!
Old 02-20-2019, 09:09 PM   #38

From the picture the OP posted of his hitch, it looks to be the Fastway E2 round bar style hitch. At least that is what I think that insignia on it is. It has the bars that sit in saddles attached to trailer a-frame. Once the paint is worn off those saddles and the points of contact rust a little, they can make a lot of noise. I have experienced this with my Husky Centerline hitch. Look up the manual for the E2 and see what it says about lubricating it. Good luck and good camping!
Happy Camping!
tonyz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 09:14 PM   #39
waybeck2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriaBeck View Post
I think the device making the noise is your anti-sway bar. They always make the exact noise you're describing.
I would agree with the anti-sway bars being the culprit in most cases. I keep a can of WD-40 on hand to spray them at each stop, and of course when first hooking up. On the ball I use the Reese Hitch Ball Grease. Cost about $8.00 and I still have grease left to start out this year. I estimate I greased the ball about 60 times last year. In a plastic can with tight cover. Good value for me.

Looking Forward to Completing This Map Soon !
waybeck2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 09:16 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyz1 View Post
From the picture the OP posted of his hitch, it looks to be the Fastway E2 round bar style hitch. At least that is what I think that insignia on it is. It has the bars that sit in saddles attached to trailer a-frame. Once the paint is worn off those saddles and the points of contact rust a little, they can make a lot of noise. I have experienced this with my Husky Centerline hitch. Look up the manual for the E2 and see what it says about lubricating it. Good luck and good camping!
I think you hit the nail on the head my friend. This looks like my exact WDH. I found the manual online and p. 21 shows exactly where to lubricate. Thanks so much!!!

Tags
hitch