Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2016, 10:49 AM   #1
Happy Camper

Main bed is comfy, others are not. What do you use?

The queen bed is fine, but the others are not.

I have a 2015 262BH, but I suspect this issue is not unique to my camper. The bunks came with a very thin "mattress", and the dining table cushions are not much better when it is converted to a bed.

What do you use to make them more comfortable?

I'm thinking of going with some sort of foam for the dining table, which we can store under the main bed. I have not had good luck with inflatable mattresses. If you have found some good ones, please let me know. I figure foam will be best for the bunks, since we can just leave it there. I'm looking for brand names and product numbers if possible.
Tonylmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 03:22 PM   #2
Always Learning

Main bed is comfy, others are not. What do you use?

I bought custom cut foam from www.foambymail.com. It is good quality and was far cheaper than anywhere else that I found. Plus, their customer service is top notch.

I went with their 4" lux foam. But you can contact them and describe the usage and they'll make a recommendation. I kept the existing "mattresses" and use them like toppers to the foam for extra goodness.
Old 02-14-2016, 08:19 PM   #3
Happy Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I bought custom cut foam from Welcome to Foam Factory, Inc.. It is good quality and was far cheaper than anywhere else that I found. Plus, their customer service is top notch.

I went with their 4" lux foam. But you can contact them and describe the usage and they'll make a recommendation. I kept the existing "mattresses" and use them like toppers to the foam for extra goodness.
Thanks for the tip! I will check them out.
Old 02-14-2016, 08:54 PM   #4

It would be nice if the manufacturer would put in some better mattresses in those areas, especially in the bunk areas. Are the bunk areas about like a single bed or a child's bunk bed that you might use at home?
Mark and Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 09:27 PM   #5
Happy Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark and Linda View Post
It would be nice if the manufacturer would put in some better mattresses in those areas, especially in the bunk areas. Are the bunk areas about like a single bed or a child's bunk bed that you might use at home?
I think they are larger than a twin. They are a nice size, really. I need to go measure them so I can order some foam.
But the "mattresses" are terribly thin. It was an inexpensive camper but I would have been happy to pay a little more for something that was useful.
Old 02-14-2016, 09:32 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

An egg crate or foam mattress topper helps immensely.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 12:53 PM   #7

MDW just purchased a memory form 3" pad. We put on top of mattress. Wow. Feels great. Sheets still work and have heater pad for a good night sleep.
lckeehne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 01:15 PM   #8

We found a 4" pieces of foam makes a world of difference. We use it under the factory thin mattress. Our TH has 4 queen size beds plus the dinette. Same here only the main bed has a real mattress the others are very thin.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 01:19 PM   #9

We use a 'feather-bed' on the dinette to give it some extra comfort. Found that was easier to store than the memory foam toppers, since we use it only on occasion.

hotzfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 04:46 PM   #10

Foam pads under the current bunk pads and a thick sleeping bag on top. Makes for a good bed for kids or adults.
TreeLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 04:55 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

We both have back issues (I have two herniated disks) so always replace our stock mattresses with better ones from a local furniture store.

Those Sleep Number bed folks even have RV-sized mattresses but no way in heck are we paying $2,000 for a souped-up air mattress!!
8-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 09:01 AM   #12
Happy Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzfamily View Post
We use a 'feather-bed' on the dinette to give it some extra comfort. Found that was easier to store than the memory foam toppers, since we use it only on occasion.
Interesting. Where did you get it? Can you provide a link? I want to see what you have.
Old 02-16-2016, 09:13 AM   #13
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

We tried a thin (1 1/2") memory foam topper on the hide-away, but it wouldn't close up correctly with it on, so we took it off. The feather bed topper may be a viable solution for this.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 10:27 AM   #14

We put 3" foam under the bunk mattresses.. need to watch that you don't make it too thick. We had cupboards for the kids clothes at the end of the bed.. any thicker and the door would not open. After 4 years, the queen mattress was flat, so we ordered a Home style pillow top, pocket coil mattress from a local mattress store. They were able to order it at the correct RV length at no extra cost.. It is beautiful.. except that we needed to buy a set of stairs so the dog could get up on the bed..
Jeff from Burlington Ont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 09:15 AM   #15
Happy Camper

I got some 2" foam toppers from walmart.com. I will need to cut them down to size. We will see how they do. I think I will go sleep out in the camper one of these pleasant spring nights just to see how they sleep.
Old 02-24-2016, 09:24 AM   #16

Agree with using foam mattress toppers. We still had the 3" (I think) kig-size toppers from our pop-up, so I trimmed one of those to full-queen size (for the master bed in the 5er), and cut the other into two separate toppers for the bunks.

Using an electric carving knife to trim the foam to size works amazingly well. Just mark the line on the foam using a sharpie, have the foam flat, or ideally slightly elevated (I used several lengths of 2x4 I had handy) above a flat hard floor, and just cut through in a slow steady motion.
Haven't found anything else that will cut through it as well as an electric carving knife. A jigsaw, or even bandsaw, won't work well because it just tries to push the foam out of the way. The double reciprocating blades on the carving knife make short work of it though.
Very useful if you can't get a custom size foam to fit those non-standard bunks
Old 02-24-2016, 09:40 AM   #17
Happy Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by leefl View Post
Agree with using foam mattress toppers. We still had the 3" (I think) kig-size toppers from our pop-up, so I trimmed one of those to full-queen size (for the master bed in the 5er), and cut the other into two separate toppers for the bunks.

Using an electric carving knife to trim the foam to size works amazingly well. Just mark the line on the foam using a sharpie, have the foam flat, or ideally slightly elevated (I used several lengths of 2x4 I had handy) above a flat hard floor, and just cut through in a slow steady motion.
Haven't found anything else that will cut through it as well as an electric carving knife. A jigsaw, or even bandsaw, won't work well because it just tries to push the foam out of the way. The double reciprocating blades on the carving knife make short work of it though.
Very useful if you can't get a custom size foam to fit those non-standard bunks
Great tip! I will use our electric knife. And I figure with the 2" topper, if I find it is not thick enough I can add another 1" or 2" under it.

Tags
bed