Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2014, 09:16 PM   #1

Maneuverability

We will be picking up our 2015 Salem 32bdhs this week and my only hesitation with it is maneuverability- anyone out there have a 32bdhs or like size that can provide me with their opinion or feedback on how difficult this will be to park/back in/etc?

We're going to Yosemite the first week of October and although their websites list max length 24' we called and they said if you can park it you're fine....

So, based on prior experiences.... Is this do-able?

Thanks in advance.
Trujillofam3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 09:25 PM   #2

I don't have that but I have a 2014 320bhds freedom express and it actually backs up nice due to the long wheel base. I do have my wife spot the rear of the trailer due to the length. Just watch your cornering and good luck and have fun
JonClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 09:58 PM   #3

You will be fine.... just do not get in a hurry when parking/backing up and if you have an urge to...slow down. If you are the least bit unsure with anything, even when you have a 'spotter', get out of the tow vehicle and do a 'walk around' to survey the area.

As for the '24 foot length, that is usually measured from the "back stop" of the unit parking space to the 'street'. From where your wheels are positioned, 6-8 feet of you unit will go 'beyond' the 'back stop', to give you not 24 feet, but around 30-32 feet.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 01:26 PM   #4

I went from a 18 footer to a 35 footed and that went without a hitch. I only had to learn to pull forward more so the back end gets into the slot
mbaker5408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 10:48 PM   #5
Experienced Newbie

I went from 17' overall to 36' overall and highly prefer the 36 footer.

Turn sharp corners like a semi. Swing into the adjacent lane (if safe to do so) and "shoot long" on the corner.

Baking up is only slightly trickier as the extra length behind the axle will swing farther when turning. Overshoot the planned adjustment slightly and when you straighten out, you'll be right on the money.

The camper length also got even longer as I went from a 1999 S10 Blazer to a 2011 Silverado crew cab. First time backing it into our storage lot space with only about 14" clearance was a 2 attempt process.

2011 Silverado CC/SB
2014 Cougar 31SQB
mhartzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 10:55 PM   #6

I went from 19' to 31' and did not find it that much more difficult to maneuver. I actually find backing the longer unit in to be easier and other than that just do as others said and give yourself a little extra room when turning and make use of a spotter.
warno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:37 PM   #7
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

Our Hemi 282RK tracks and backs very well. Now we're about 4 ft or so shorter than you. Get a good quality Weight Distributing Hitch and anti-sway package. However, I found that when getting ready to unhitch, it is easier for me to take off the WDH/anit-sway bars before trying to park the trailer. I' ve had the truck at a sharp angle more than once and it was a bear to get those anit-sway bars off. Plus without the bars on, it gives the trailer more jacknife ability if you need it.
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote