Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2014, 10:23 PM   #1

model number or weight

I am trying to find my model number to find the weight of the trailer. The ID sticker in the outside front driver side of trailer has weight numbers on it but the labels for the numbers are not visible. It is a 2005 FR Salem. The body is about 25 feet and with the tongue about 27. No slide out. At some point I got the idea it was 5000 pounds dry. It is burning up by pickup in the mountains and I want to go lighter, a lot lighter with another trailer.

Anyone know where I could find the model number"

Thanks.
kernst52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 10:33 PM   #2
Always Learning

Getting it weighed yourself is extremely easy. Either go to a truck stop and use a truck scale or to a place that has a scale (bulk agriculture supply, dumps, etc). 2 quick weighings and you'll know the exact weight of your camper. If you use a weight-distributing hitch (WDH), you may want to add a third weighing.

1) Truck and camper hitched up with WDH like normal
2) Truck and camper without the WDH (just tongue on the ball)
3) Park the camper somewhere and weigh just the truck

Keep all passengers, cargo, and fuel levels the same. Try to do all 3 weighings at once if you can.
Old 11-08-2014, 10:58 PM   #3

Thanks, I think I may know such a place here in our small town. The company that does the garbage around here has a scale.

I think I can make out on the sticker: _VWR 3463 kg 7635 lb with a little guessing. That must be the gross laden weight for this 25-foot trailer.
kernst52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 11:02 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Yes that would be gvwr (gross vehicle weight rating) or the most that trailer should weigh. I would still weigh your trailer as that is the weight that us pushing your limits, then get a trailer with a gvwr below your current trailers weight.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight, modifications