RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 08-15-2020, 06:07 AM   #1

Mounting a tv in the bedroom 25rbhl

So we have a tv backer in the bedroom, with a cable connector and a plug in the ceiling.

Id like to mount a small tv in there with a articulating arm. Im nervous about drilling into the wall, how big the backer in that area is, and how deep the screws can go before going too deep?

Anyone have any experience or suggestions about this?
{Tpc} is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 06:53 AM   #2

Hello! Here is what I suggest doing. Get a cheap stud finder from Lowe’s/HD/Harbor Freight. Scan the wall and then mark the edges with a pencil, the stickers are not always 100% accurate and the studs aren’t always perfectly centered.

Sometimes it’s a pine 2x4 behind the wall, sometimes it’s a 2x6. Just ensure your mount has enough room to be centered and where you pre-drill your holes for anchoring.

Hope this helps!
Cold Iron Axe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 07:35 AM   #3

With that said, the board behind the wall is at least a 1/2 in thick?

The mount I ordered is pretty lightweight. -about 3.5 lbs, and the TV is 28in and about 7 lbs, so to me that is about as light as it gets lol.

The lag bolts that come with the mount are 25mm which is about an inch but they must account for the mount thickness or something.

I just dont want to screw through the wall and out to the exterior or something lol. The instructions say that the board the mount fixes too has to be 1/2 in thick minimum.
Old 08-15-2020, 09:42 AM   #4

Just about all the studs I have seen on my FR rig and even on my other non-FR rigs were at a minimum 1/2 thick. So you should be good there.

Now the lag bolts. I did go through the wall once 😬. So, what I learned was to measure the wall thickness (if possible) then drill and screw in. Usually if the bolts are 1-5/8 or under 2 you should be just fine. I personally dont use anything over 1-5/8 just to be safe.
Cold Iron Axe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 09:45 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Iron Axe View Post
Just about all the studs I have seen on my FR rig and even on my other non-FR rigs were at a minimum 1/2 thick. So you should be good there.

Now the lag bolts. I did go through the wall once . So, what I learned was to measure the wall thickness (if possible) then drill and screw in. Usually if the bolts are 1-5/8 or under 2 you should be just fine. I personally dont use anything over 1-5/8 just to be safe.

Ok thanks! There is a window below the area pretty close so maybe I can use that to measure? The bolts are only m6 x 25mm and 25 mm is less than a inch though.
Old 08-15-2020, 02:28 PM   #6

Different trailer with aluminum studs, also had aluminum backer plate though not very big. I started with a 1/16 drill so I'd know if I hit the backer. Going through the thin paneling happens like right now if no backer. I did use a stud finder for the general location. Missed twice with the 1/16 bit, but easy to hide a miss. Once sure I enlarged relative to the screws used. I think everyone's uneasy about things like that, I was.
Freetyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 02:32 PM   #7

Are your cable and outlets actually in the ceiling or on the wall near the ceiling? The video of your unit shows them on the wall and the TV mounted pretty far down. If they are on the wall, I would do this. Turn off the power to the TT. Remove the two screws on the cable outlet plate. It should have slack to pull it away from the wall. Using a retracting measuring tape, insert the tape downward with the hook facing you. With a finger inside the wall pressing the tape measure against the backer board, gently keep finger pressure on the tape and keep pushing the length of the tape down until the hook on the end of the tape reaches the bottom of the backer. When it does, it will catch at the bottom. Take the measurement. Release your finger pressure on the tape and the hook on the end of the tape measure should come free. If it doesn't, shake the tape measure and it will come off. Remove the tape measure. On the outside of the wall, measure down to the same as you measured on the inside and mark it with a piece of masking tape That will be the bottom of the backer board. You will not want to penetrate that wall much more that the thickness of the backer.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 03:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by {Tpc} View Post
So we have a tv backer in the bedroom, with a cable connector and a plug in the ceiling.

Id like to mount a small tv in there with a articulating arm. Im nervous about drilling into the wall, how big the backer in that area is, and how deep the screws can go before going too deep?

Anyone have any experience or suggestions about this?
Dont do what I did put a hole straight through.Just punch a small hole in where the screws go then use self tamping screws. Good luck
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 03:20 PM   #9

Why would you put a tv in A bed room. Have one in our MH and haven't used it 3 years. I use the bed room for sleep.
Dave Bulkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 03:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Bulkley View Post
Why would you put a tv in A bed room. Have one in our MH and haven't used it 3 years. I use the bed room for sleep.
Some of us is getting old .So we sometimes go lay down and take a nap in the afternoon
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 07:23 PM   #11

So to answer a couple of questions, yes the plug and cable is in the ceiling, I know this for sure. Its pretty close to the wall so maybe I can remove the plate to get a better idea, I dunno.

As for the tv in the bedroom, the wife needs it to sleep, been that way forever. Last trailer, first thing we did. But that was more straightforward. We have a tv on in the bedroom at home that runs the entire night. Lucky for me, Im out as soon as I hit the bed tv or not usually.
Old 08-15-2020, 07:50 PM   #12

Your tv is light weight, which is good. Be careful with an articulated mount. Make certain the tv is close to the wall and secure when towing. When extended it applies a lot of leverage to the mounting screws. A flat wall mount tends to pull down on the screws but an articulated mounted tends to pull them outward. Use plenty of screws, preferably coarse thread.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 04:59 PM   #13

So I got the mount today, plan on doing this on the weekend at next camping trip.

The lag bolts are a nice coarse thread, and they are about an inch in length. The mount itself is only about 1/8 in thick.

All that said, assuming the backer board is there (I will confirm before I do any drilling), is it safe to run these in there? My only fear is hitting the outside wall but I dont exactly know how thick they make these walls. There is a window there though, exit window as well, does anyone know how thick the framing is on these?
Old 08-17-2020, 06:47 PM   #14

You should have plenty of thickness but open a window and check the actual thickness,
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 07:00 PM   #15

Will do, thanks for the help! I picked up some washers too, just in case I dont feel comfortable.

At this point I just hope the backer board is there. Wife said she pushed on the spot and it felt solid but we shall see...
Old 08-18-2020, 08:33 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Bulkley View Post
We don't use it much, but tv also puts me to sleep sometimes, and what better place to be then. Nice in the morning too. Have to get out of bed for you know, but maybe not ready to start my day yet. Turn on the tv and if I nod off again, then what better place to be.
Freetyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 09:06 PM   #17

How do you like your 25RBHL? We have a 2021 on order and are looking for some feedback from people who own one already. We love the floorplan and standard features. It's going to be along two months or so of waiting....
Pbbobkanobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 11:37 PM   #18

Use a stud finder. Draw the block edges on the wall.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 07:29 AM   #19

Ill probably be mounting today. Wall feels rock solid right there...like the whole wall feels rock solid.

As to the question of how we like it. We like it a lot. We had some minor things the dealer took care of, but overall its been pretty good.

If your going to boondock, the 12v only fridge is not for you unless your plan is to add a battery or to bring a generator.

Look closely under the slide room when you get it. Ours for some reason had a small gap that ran the length of the room. When looking up into this gap, you could see fibers of the carpet. So first rain storm we drive though, carpet got damp. Dealer fixed this by filling the gap with expanding foam to seal it and adding a wiper seal along the length of the room.

The big bathroom is the best part for us. Wasnt sure about the theatre seats, but really like them. The bedroom bed can be a bit small for us taller folks but Im 5 11 and I can deal with it just fine but I sleep all the way into the space.

The outdoor fridge is nice, we plan to convert to a smaller fridge and put a little drawer underneath it, at some point.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-21-2020, 07:44 AM   #20

Your tv backer plate might be a piece of metal. In our previous TT, a 2506S it was. It actually made it easier to locate the edges.

Tags
bed, bedroom, mount, roo