Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2019, 11:26 PM   #1

Need some advice on troubleshooting my trailer problems.

Background story, i pulled the trailer to my family's members house, plugged in to 110 outlet (using converter.) Slideout opened without any problem, fast forward to today. Closed the slide out no problem pulled it to get inspected and a side marker light replaced, pulled it back to family's house. And now i got nothing (slideout, awning, and leveling jacks) but my hitch works i am so lost on this issue.

And its pretty much impossible to acces the fuse panel since it is near the bedroom door. And the slide out prohibits access.

I do have power going to the trailer

The trailer is a 2017 salem 27dbk.
TexasZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 05:17 AM   #2

Hopefully yall can help me figure this out will be hooking the trailer up and pull it back home to load everything up, then to the rv park. Saturday

I can do the slideout manually to help with loading up, i would rather not do it though.
Old 01-31-2019, 05:40 AM   #3

The items you mentioned are 12 volt controlled. Look in the area of the battery for an inline resettable fuse/circuit breaker. Chances are you held down the slide in button a little too long.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 07:54 AM   #4

Also look for a battery disconnect switch near the battery. Maybe the people that did the repair switched it off for you. If Cavie's suggestion doesnt solve it, be sure your battery is healthy, charged and tightly connected to the terminals.
Skip12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 11:28 AM   #5

a multimeter should be in everyone's RV. Open up the distribution panel and see if you have 12v at the fuses. I'm with others, you've lost 12 volts to the coach. your tongue jack is wired direct to the batteries so that's why it works
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 11:34 AM   #6
Site Team

Check for a tripped resettable breaker under the frame near the hitch. Looks like below. There should be a small button on one side to reset it.
Attached Images

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 11:35 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip12 View Post
Also look for a battery disconnect switch near the battery. Maybe the people that did the repair switched it off for you.
X2, happened to me last time my TT was in for service.
lewisra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 11:49 AM   #8
Grammar Pedant

My battery disconnect switch is all or nothing. The OP said that his electric hitch/jack worked, but the interior items did not. Do your trailers work such that the hitch/jack function even with the disconnect switch in the off/disconnected position?

In my trailer, I'd be looking for a fuse or breaker. If your slideout prevents such access, you will have to access the manual crank to get it out enough to access your electric panel.

OP: In the future, I recommend you actually put the issue in the subject. You may find that you draw more people into the conversation if you tell them what you're asking about. Titles that merely state "I have a question," "I need advice," "I need help," and the like are frequently too nonspecific to pull would-be helpers into the conversation. It also makes it more difficult for others to find a discussion in the future that could help them. Anyway, take it or leave it ... just some advice to maximize your returns on your posts.

Good luck.

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 11:54 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67L48 View Post
My battery disconnect switch is all or nothing. The OP said that his electric hitch/jack worked, but the interior items did not. Do your trailers work such that the hitch/jack function even with the disconnect switch in the off/disconnected position?
Yes, but now that I think of it the awning and slide do as well, but nothing else.
lewisra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 12:25 PM   #10
Site Team

Our disconnect is all-or-nothing, but I installed it that way on purpose. A lot of RV's connect the jack and a couple other things so that they bypass the disconnect and will work with it open.
Old 01-31-2019, 01:25 PM   #11

Power jack usually is connected to the battery with 1 wire and inline fuse. Its probably the reset breaker pictured above. And also check all the connections while down there. I had this issue on 2014 TT looking for the reset button I noticed the wires had come loose. Probably never tightened from mfg. But for some reason they loosened up .
Indy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 01:33 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
Check for a tripped resettable breaker under the frame near the hitch. Looks like below. There should be a small button on one side to reset it.
I had the same issue, found this tripped and all was good. But, I have always wanted to ask since this is so tiny, almost flimsy just what is its purpose with a box full of fuses for each circuit? If it's really important why not put it somewhere the elements will not get to it
Mike
howellma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 02:24 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by howellma View Post
I had the same issue, found this tripped and all was good. But, I have always wanted to ask since this is so tiny, almost flimsy just what is its purpose with a box full of fuses for each circuit? If it's really important why not put it somewhere the elements will not get to it
Mike
Great question
Old 01-31-2019, 04:48 PM   #14
Commercial Member

TexasZ71,

Thank you for being a part of the Salem family.

Please accept our sincerest apologies for any inconveniences that you have experienced with your new Salem. Your satisfaction is very important to us; accordingly, we invite you to contact Miranda Blackburn in our Customer service department through the following personalized and direct link: Forest River RV Direct Service Contact - Forest River, Inc..

This direct link is provided for your convenience in order that we may resolve your concerns as quickly as possible. We will strive to respond to you within 24 hours of receiving your correspondence.

Respectfully,
Forest River
ES_FR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 04:49 PM   #15

Quote:

In my trailer, I'd be looking for a fuse or breaker. If your slideout prevents such access, you will have to access the manual crank to get it out enough to access your electric panel.

OP: In the future, I recommend you actually put the issue in the subject. You may find that you draw more people into the conversation if you tell them what you're asking about. Titles that merely state "I have a question," "I need advice," "I need help," and the like are frequently too nonspecific to pull would-be helpers into the conversation. It also makes it more difficult for others to find a discussion in the future that could help them. Anyway, take it or leave it ... just some advice to maximize your returns on your posts.

Good luck.
X-2 on this good counsel...especially the manual operation of the slide.
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 06:23 PM   #16

The Salem does not have a battery disconnect. The problem is most likely the reset as pictured above by Flybob. It is up front, near the battery box. Crawl underneath.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 07:44 PM   #17

Quote:

Good luck.
True but i honestly didn't know how to word my problem without sounding dumb
TexasZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 07:47 PM   #18

Thank yall for the advice i do have a mutimeter somewhere and i will check those fuses out can't wait for Saturday
Old 01-31-2019, 08:13 PM   #19

See post #6. It is a circuit breaker, not a fuse. Press that small button on the side.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 08:52 PM   #20

The reset is on the frame , close to the battery. Usually underneath on the frame ,look at post number 6 in this thread. They might be red in color not yellow. There could be more than 1 down there. But only 1 of them will have a reset button not all of them. The reset button is very tiny , I mean very very tiny. Find it and push it in.
And make sure all the wires down there are tight

Tags
trailer