RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 11-19-2020, 03:05 PM   #1

New Salem Hemisphere owner.

New member here. My wife and I have been campers for years. We decided to finally buy new. We ended up with the 270FKS. We will be doing our walkthrough at the dealer soon and wondered if there may be certain things to look out for. We have always bought used before so this is new to us. The only things we noticed were the front blind behind that big front window was crooked and maybe even backwards, and the headboard had fallen off the wall. Ant help or advise would be appreciated.
Thanks
Jim
jimbolyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 03:14 PM   #2

Are they going to be willing to fix issues on the spot, or will you have to take it home then make a reservation to get in line to get the repairs done? I'd be asking that right up.

Does the RV dealership have a "park" they will let you camp in for a night or two to work out the bugs? Many do.
Old 11-19-2020, 04:50 PM   #3

Headboards which usually pop back on and blinds should be fixed by the PDI. You should make certain that everything works and is fixed before you sign the final papers. Otherwise, you'll be shuffled off to the maintenance department for service and you may not see the rig for months.
Congratulations on your new rig and welcome to the forum!
Old 11-19-2020, 09:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieH View Post
Are they going to be willing to fix issues on the spot, or will you have to take it home then make a reservation to get in line to get the repairs done? I'd be asking that right up.

Does the RV dealership have a "park" they will let you camp in for a night or two to work out the bugs? Many do.
They are supposed to fix those two things and add a few accessories before we have them switched out.
Thanks
Jim
Old 11-19-2020, 09:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
Headboards which usually pop back on and blinds should be fixed by the PDI. You should make certain that everything works and is fixed before you sign the final papers. Otherwise, you'll be shuffled off to the maintenance department for service and you may not see the rig for months.
Congratulations on your new rig and welcome to the forum!
I am not sure what a PDI is? I want those two things taken care of as well as a couple accessories added before we switch them out.
Thanks
Jim
Old 11-20-2020, 01:35 PM   #6

PDI is a pre delivery inspection, there are some PDI check list on line and maybe here in the forums, you need to test every thing, the dealer should connect water and power to the unit and you should check for leaks in the plumbing system, test oven, stove, microwave, furnace, ACís, awning, doors and windows, jacks, televisions, fans, fit and finish, check slides get on roof and check it as well, every thing before you sign on the bottom line
Mike ONeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 01:58 PM   #7

Checklists

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbolyard View Post
New member here. My wife and I have been campers for years. We decided to finally buy new. We ended up with the 270FKS. We will be doing our walkthrough at the dealer soon and wondered if there may be certain things to look out for. We have always bought used before so this is new to us. The only things we noticed were the front blind behind that big front window was crooked and maybe even backwards, and the headboard had fallen off the wall. Ant help or advise would be appreciated.
Thanks
Jim
Jim,

Go to any page of these forums. At the top right of the screen is a "Search" box. Enter PDI list in the box and click Search. A custom Google search will search only these forums and give you lots of checklists. Pick the one you like best.

As others have stated, decline to pay any money or accept the vehicle until everything on your list is corrected or committed. Do not leave the unit for service until you are satisfied that all the parts needed to effect repair are already in hand.

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 01:09 PM   #8
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

Ask about the procedure and tools to manually open and close your slide(s), stabilizer jacks, and tongue jack. On our PDI, I asked the dealer to demonstrate those procedures. They were cooperative and very helpful.
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 02:22 PM   #9

Forest River Salem Hemisphere Elite

I am on my 3rd camper, first 2 near perfect from showroom to trade in. Current one had Minor issues at dealership like loose wood trim, cabinet drawers not level, jack leveling issues, door trim a little off center, smaller things that dealership addressed. Had it a year and a half and it has been in shop more than my driveway. Many issues from manufacturer just sloppy that caused other issues.
My advice is some campers assembled by by the still hung over and poorly supervised crew that leave signs that should not be ignored. If your showroom camper not in showroom condition walk away.
pccsusn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 03:11 PM   #10

Well the dealer delivered it yesterday and took the trade in away. They fixed the two minor things we saw on the walk through. They leveled it, and that is about as we went with it. It is much too cold do much more right now. The only thing left that we wanted was to key both of the entrance doors with the same key. It was my request. Said the new plugs were still on order.

I do have a question though, we have door keys, black plastic headed keys marked Bauer for two compartments (I think they are called slam latch), and three compartment doors that take the generic ch751 key. Does anyone know if I can somehow make all the compartment locks take the same key?

I included old and new camper pictures.

Thanks
Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1774.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	594.3 KB
ID:	243992   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1877.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	618.8 KB
ID:	243993  
Old 12-04-2020, 04:23 PM   #11
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

Nice looking unit. where's your CG?
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
Old 12-04-2020, 07:54 PM   #12

It is near Elkins WV.
Old 12-04-2020, 08:01 PM   #13
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

Ahhh
My wife had her first job out of college with the US Forest Service at Seneca Rocks.
Wonderful area
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
Old 12-04-2020, 09:39 PM   #14

It is a very beautiful area thats for sure.

Tags
hemisphere, salem