Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2022, 11:16 PM   #1

Newbie - Tank Drain Really Low

Hi everyone, I've been a camper owner for two while days! Bought a 2020 261BHXL. Love it, but have a question about the tank drain (black and gray). It is really low. When backing it onto the pad, I knocked a pvc joint off. It didn't break luckily, but any suggestions? There is no way to raise it because the frame is directly above the line. Thanks!
jeremysmith213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 12:50 AM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremysmith213 View Post
Hi everyone, I've been a camper owner for two while days! Bought a 2020 261BHXL. Love it, but have a question about the tank drain (black and gray). It is really low. When backing it onto the pad, I knocked a pvc joint off. It didn't break luckily, but any suggestions? There is no way to raise it because the frame is directly above the line. Thanks!
Hi and Welcome to FRF.
What brand is a 261BHXL since you don't have that information listed in your profile or signature.
I can move your thread to your brand's sub-forum so others can offer more specific help.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Forest River Forums mobile app
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 01:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Hi and Welcome to FRF.
What brand is a 261BHXL since you don't have that information listed in your profile or signature.
I can move your thread to your brand's sub-forum so others can offer more specific help.

It is a FR Salem Cruise Lite 261BHXL. Thank you!
jeremysmith213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 01:27 PM   #4

Without doing a lot of plumbing mods, I think you're stuck with a low drain.
Your best method of getting over an incline it to angle that rig as you back it over the obstacle. Once over, you can straighten it on the pad.
We have to angle when backing up or pulling down an incline. It's pain, but it works.
Old 06-02-2022, 01:39 PM   #5

Welcome from SE PA. We have to do the same angling on inclines and declines as we have the slightly longer Wildwood (Sister Brand to Salem) 273QBXL and our waste pipes are in the same place. That, and using a tote with the waste pipe can be difficult if you're at a funny angle (as we discovered when de-winterizing on our street).

K_M_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 01:41 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremysmith213 View Post
It is a FR Salem Cruise Lite 261BHXL. Thank you!
Moved thread to the Salem sub-forum since OP is asking for model-specific information.

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 12:07 PM   #7

"Low hanging fruit" plagued my 2014 Rockwood HW-277 Pop-Up. Both the stairs and the dumps were very low to the ground AND far from the axle...a recipe for disaster. The farther from the axle, the more these low hanging fruit plunge earthward over breakovers and at the bottom of whoop-de-doos. (lookup unfamiliar terms)

I lifted my rig using a kit for the torsion axle. With leaf spring axles, it's often possible to lift the rig by moving the axle BELOW the leaf springs. This can be very easy, or in some cases, more complicated.

Lifting the rig is an excellent solution to add ground clearance. OTOH, lifting the rig may cause other issues, such as needing a longer ladder to reach high mounted accessories on the camper body, and needing a folding step to reach the bottom step of the stairs. Finally, you will need to adjust your WDH ball mount an equivalent amount to keep the rig level when towing.

Overall, many lift their rigs to add ground clearance, and they are satisfied with the results. If your rig has a basic, straight axle arrangement, the swap should be easy. Some require adapters to add a saddle for the springs on top of the axle. Some axles can just flip. BEWARE that some axles have built in "camber" that can make the process a bit tricky, but a welding shop can probably add saddles for the spring mounts for a very modest price and retain the correct orientation on the axle (for camber) and simplify the entire process considerably for a modest price.

You were lucky. Hereafter, always use a spotter to watch the low hanging fruit as you maneuver on challenging terrain.
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 04:25 PM   #8

On two of my RVs I've been able to rework the plumbing of the drains with a few new parts and still achieve full function.

One required almost all new parts, but the pipe directly at the tank was reused undisturbed. On another I was able to move things up many inches just by cutting and regluing with a coupler.

Sometimes this is a game of inches. If you can get a few inches higher it may may matter more that you think.
adaycj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drain, newbie, tank