Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2020, 09:02 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 1
Possible to remove microwave?

We're possibly looking at purchasing a 2020 Salem FSX 167RBK and storage is important to us.

We tend to dry camp so rarely use stuff like the AC and microwave.

Wondering if its possible to remove the microwave and gain some storage in that spot?

Thanks!
__________________

LazarusLong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 09:07 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Waynesville
Posts: 14,043
Yep! as long as the Total # is at or below MW#! Youroo!!
__________________

__________________
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 09:18 AM   #3
Site Team
 
KyDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 8,747
Yes but my advice is just use the MW for storage. IE- put stuff in the MW rather than removing it. You may need it one day! Also it's possible the cavity where the MW is located will need a floor and walls and a back. Only way to be sure is pull it out and have a look.
Good luck!
And WELCOME to FRF!!
__________________
Peace!
Dan & Rita D
2017 Nissan Titan 5.6L King cab 4wd
1999 Suzuki Intruder Motorcycle
Blue Ox WD hitch

Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-35
KyDan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 10:22 AM   #4
Boss Ox & Drovergirl
 
oxcamper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: N.E. Ohio Snow Belt
Posts: 783
Yes, most definitely a possibility. Also look to see if there are blind areas in your cabinet spaces that are blocked off. In our unit, there was a blank panel between the microwave and the corner cabinet. The corner cabinet was completely open behind the blank panel, so I removed it, and used the panel as a divider wall. Immediate extra storage space with no fuss.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0483.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	208.1 KB
ID:	227569  
__________________
Mark, Vicki, & Scout THE dog
2015 Hemisphere 282RK
2011 2500HD Silverado
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 10:52 AM   #5
Kanadian Kamper
 
kenandterry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Prince Edward County, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
Yes but my advice is just use the MW for storage. IE- put stuff in the MW rather than removing it. You may need it one day! Also it's possible the cavity where the MW is located will need a floor and walls and a back. Only way to be sure is pull it out and have a look.
Good luck!
And WELCOME to FRF!!
Yup....I agree. ^^^^^^^
__________________

Ken and Terry
2010 Georgetown 330TS being pushed by our
2017 GMC Terrain toad (4 wheels down)
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 11:21 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazarusLong View Post
Wondering if its possible to remove the microwave and gain some storage in that spot?
Thanks!
Sure. You can pull anything. What you find behind whatever you remove might surprise you, though. In most cases the space won't be finished at all so you will end up having to do some work to make it decent.

Like oxcamper, my TT had a blanked off space between the micro and the neighboring cabinet. See pics. I decided to make use of it. There was no divider between the micro and the blanked off space, no floor, and I had to work around that wiring.

If you do remove it, I would suggest saving it so you can replace it if/when you decide to sell.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	182.4 KB
ID:	227571   Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-2.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	209.4 KB
ID:	227572   Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-3.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	201.7 KB
ID:	227573  
gastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 11:33 AM   #7
Boss Ox & Drovergirl
 
oxcamper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: N.E. Ohio Snow Belt
Posts: 783
Gastan, I like your slide out drawer.
__________________
Mark, Vicki, & Scout THE dog
2015 Hemisphere 282RK
2011 2500HD Silverado
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 02:33 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastan View Post
Sure. You can pull anything. What you find behind whatever you remove might surprise you, though. In most cases the space won't be finished at all so you will end up having to do some work to make it decent.

Like oxcamper, my TT had a blanked off space between the micro and the neighboring cabinet. See pics. I decided to make use of it. There was no divider between the micro and the blanked off space, no floor, and I had to work around that wiring.

If you do remove it, I would suggest saving it so you can replace it if/when you decide to sell.
If your unit has a combo microwave and range hood/exhaust fan you'll have two other issues to deal with. 1) If it has an outside vent, there'll be a 3" hole in the wall, and 2) without the exhaust fan, things can get a bit smoky and smelly inside the rig.
__________________
DrLewie
Flemington, NJ
Former: 2007 Cardinal 30W LE
Now:2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2008 Ford F-250 Long Bed Diesel
Total of 30 Months on the Road Since 2008
DrLewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 02:55 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: 8300 Feet - Rocky Mountains
Posts: 1,211
If you're going to boondock, you'll likely buy and use a small generator. A 2KW inverter at Harbor Freight (Predator brand) is <$500.
Consumer Reports highly recommends them.

So, with a generator, your Micro is useful.

I'd keep it and plan to use it...I did with my PUP and will continue to do so with my new rig.

That said, the Micro is just an appliance in a cabinet, and the cabinet has an outlet inside. You may even be able to order a "replacement" cabinet door that fits from the manufacturer. And with that good news, if you hold onto the Micro, you can always reinstall it if you miss it. I think you'll miss it.
And if you don't have a genny, you'll certainly miss IT the first time your run your battery dead (and ruin the battery). Boondocking without a genny...even if you have solar...is a recipe for a dead battery and going without a variety of 120 volt niceties that are already built into your rig.
__________________
Jim & Renee
2020 Jayco Jay Feather X-213
previously 2014 Forest River/Rockwood HW 277
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Wellington
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 04:00 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
BillyBass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Brownsville
Posts: 837
If I was going to spend that kind of money on a camper I would make sure I got what I needed in it not rip it apart
__________________
2019 Flagstaff 26 RBWS
2015 GMC Sierra 1500
2019 camp 17 nites. Bill,Alley and are two kids Sierra,Ivy. 2020 camp 4 nites
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 12:13 AM   #11
Tundra 2014
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Texas
Posts: 666
Microwave

I would keep it as storage. I had to replace one in an older trailer and it was a mess of wiring to cover up, if no micro wave were there. We store paper plates in ours and use a pool noodle vertically to hold stuff in place. A small 2K generator comes in very handy. We freeze meals and use the microwave so DW does not spend time cooking.It might also be enough to start your A/C depending on the size of your A/C unit. We camp where we use our generator to run a small 100 watt electric heater in the morning and evening to take the chill off.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 01:39 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: 8300 Feet - Rocky Mountains
Posts: 1,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBass View Post
If I was going to spend that kind of money on a camper I would make sure I got what I needed in it not rip it apart
Explain. Your comment leaves me scratching my head.

I'm not aware of any campers other than the most basic PUPs and teardrops that don't have the following appliances standard:
Fridge
Furnace
Hot water heater
Microwave
Water tank and pump
And a large number come thru with a dealer-optioned AC unit (as did my HW PUP). We didn't need AC in the Rockies, but it was there. I'd have missed a large part of an entire season to wait for one without it.

Buying off the lot - far less expensive and far more immediate than a custom order - far and away offsets the cost of having a micro you don't want and possibly adding a replacement cabinet door.
__________________
Jim & Renee
2020 Jayco Jay Feather X-213
previously 2014 Forest River/Rockwood HW 277
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Wellington
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 03:51 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
BillyBass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Brownsville
Posts: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmoore13 View Post
Explain. Your comment leaves me scratching my head.

I'm not aware of any campers other than the most basic PUPs and teardrops that don't have the following appliances standard:
Fridge
Furnace
Hot water heater
Microwave
Water tank and pump
And a large number come thru with a dealer-optioned AC unit (as did my HW PUP). We didn't need AC in the Rockies, but it was there. I'd have missed a large part of an entire season to wait for one without it.

Buying off the lot - far less expensive and far more immediate than a custom order - far and away offsets the cost of having a micro you don't want and possibly adding a replacement cabinet door.
I am saying I would not rip out my Mircowave to make more storage or any other app.for that.If it dont have what i want then I wouldnt buy it. Thats all i am saying
__________________
2019 Flagstaff 26 RBWS
2015 GMC Sierra 1500
2019 camp 17 nites. Bill,Alley and are two kids Sierra,Ivy. 2020 camp 4 nites
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 05:42 PM   #14
Boss Ox & Drovergirl
 
oxcamper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: N.E. Ohio Snow Belt
Posts: 783
LazarusLong,

I think your idea is sound, but how much extra storage do you think you need? And, if I may inquire, what are you looking to store?
__________________

__________________
Mark, Vicki, & Scout THE dog
2015 Hemisphere 282RK
2011 2500HD Silverado
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
microwave

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:49 PM.


×