Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2022, 08:20 PM   #1

Pros and cons Salem 27rk

Really love the layout of this model for the seating. Would be an Upgrade from a 230bhxl wildwood xlite. If you have this model what do you like what don’t you like? Thanks.
mlrxaide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 04:16 AM   #2

we love our 27rkss. The big open rear kitchen is great and the open seating area is super comfortable. I would say the only downside is I wish it had the king bed slide.
greggcowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 09:50 AM   #3
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

We have a 2015 282RK we bought new. We love the layout, for 2 people + dog it's just the right size, not too big, and not too small. Plenty of room to move around in, cook, chill out without getting in each other's way. The rear kitchen is a great placement as you can use the rest of the living space without navigating around an island or a sink.

I worked for the last 7 years of my career 250 miles from home and we bought the camper for me to live in full time (other than winter) rather than rent an apartment or buy a second home. So it got a lot of use from March through mid November. The few times we did use it for travel, it pulled easy and straight and was easy to maneuver through fuel stations and the like.

there are a few cons:
-the bedroom floor area is a might small to try to get dressed in, but that's not a big deal I would just get dressed in the living room.
-the hot water bypass requires the removal of the top dresser drawer to gain access, which is a bit of a PITA again as there is not a lot of floor space to maneuver in.
-I would have liked to have better/sturdier cabinet hardware (i.e. hinges) but we haven't had any failure.
- ours has the older configuration of wardrobe and closet space in the bedroom along with the storage area above the dresser which I installed extra shelves. I believe the newer models have removed this and also reduced the amount of closet space, which for short durations may not be an issue.
-We opted not to have the outside kitchen installed and that extra storage space was a huge benefit.

For us, the pros of this configuration far outweigh the few minor cons. I would purchase this same unit again.
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 10:14 AM   #4

I don't own this trailer or one like it, my trailer is 26 ft long. This is just my opinion here, if I was going any longer and what I have I would just go to a fifth wheel. 34 ft is one long trailer.
Ken-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 10:56 AM   #5

Salem / wildwood 24RLXL
mine is a rear living with

3 seat couch on back wall
U-shaped dinette in the slide
Kitchen and entry door opposite slide
Large windows at rear and in the slide

Really comfortable and roomy layout for a couple
occasional guest can sleep on dinette or sofa

we looked at the 27RK but the 24 ended up being our choice
and it was less tongue weight , tows easy
Old 11-01-2022, 11:13 AM   #6

Due to size it is iffy to tow with a half ton truck.

Due to size two ac units is sort of a good idea. I can assure you that Texas in the summer would not be comfortable..

Batteries are the weak link. Any off grid would require batteries. The one standard little car battery would likely not make the first night. Disadvantage of the compressor fridge.

I would want, just in case, tank heaters if you anticipate any cold weather camping. Now that we are retired we have discovered the off season camping.

Ask what tires are standard. We found out the hard way about Chinese tires.

The DW LOVES the convection microwave.

Our rv has the privacy/night dual roller shades in the living area. DW choice again. She also instructed me to get a washer dryer. Not often necessary for most. But, we spend several months a year in our fiver.

Shop hard. There is a lot out there. Took us 2 years to pick our rv. While not perfect, it is pretty close.

Great layout. My DW would not go for a rear kitchen. I lost that battle in 2018 when we bought our Rear Entertainment layout.
tomkatb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 12:16 PM   #7
D W

We have a Salem 27RKSS. My bride chose this model for the open floor plan. She did not want a kitchen right in the middle of the unit. She also likes the window configuration for natural light.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 12:24 PM   #8
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

I'm not sure why, when the OP asked for feedback from people who own this or a similar unit, posters who don't fit that criteria feel they have to put in their opinion,

Just sayin'
Greggcowan, Oxcamper, and DW are the only valid opinions
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 12:31 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkatb View Post

Great layout. My DW would not go for a rear kitchen. I lost that battle in 2018 when we bought our Rear Entertainment layout.
My DW won't have anything BUT a rear kitchen or front kitchen. She hates rear entertainment floorplans because she hates people walking through her kitchen, to sit down or going to the bathroom.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Forest River Forums mobile app
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 09:32 AM   #10

I really like my 27RK

We bought ours in March of 2022, this year.

Immediately replaced the Castle Rock tires with Goodyear Endurance tires, including the spare. Also upgraded the tires on the truck to LT's to improve the towing experience. Upgraded the mattress and soundbar.

We have a Blue Ox hitch, the dealer put the wrong bars on. Too light. We did the upgrade to the 1500 lb bars and it's been great. Tow with a 2021 Ram 1500.

As far as the trailer goes, we have had minimal issues and really like it. We have towed over 9000 miles this year in 26 different states.

I strongly suggest that if you get this model, you go underneath and add fender washers to all of the plastic belly pans as they will crack. Probably similar issues on other models too.

I would buy this model again in a heartbeat.

2021 Ram Truck
2022 Salem 27 RK (Built 2/28/2022)
Wingz13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
salem