Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2012, 08:54 PM   #1

Question on Refrigerator Fan ?

We have a 2011 26TBUD; bought it new. When we are hooked up to power, the refrigerator fan seems to constantly cycle on and off. Most of the time we don't notice, but late at night it can be very disconcerting. We'll hear it spin up, run for maybe 30 seconds, shut off for maybe 10 or 15 seconds, then go back on again. The refrigerator seems cold enough, as does the freezer. I don't notice this at all when it's on propane only.

Anybody else hear of this? Something I should be concerned with?
Thanks!
FD
FriscoDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:27 PM   #2

You didn't mention maker and model but mine has two 12 volt electric thermostatic fans in the back just below the condenser coils, they run as needed on gas or electric. Purpose is to aid fridge cooling capacity with less condenser and roof opening area. Without it temps will rise dramatically.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:35 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

most people with noisy oem fans replace them with computer fans !
ebay sellers normally have them .

search dometic fan
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:16 PM   #4
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriscoDad View Post
We have a 2011 26TBUD; bought it new. When we are hooked up to power, the refrigerator fan seems to constantly cycle on and off. Most of the time we don't notice, but late at night it can be very disconcerting. We'll hear it spin up, run for maybe 30 seconds, shut off for maybe 10 or 15 seconds, then go back on again. The refrigerator seems cold enough, as does the freezer. I don't notice this at all when it's on propane only.

Anybody else hear of this? Something I should be concerned with?
Thanks!
FD
Not sure at this time what model Dometic indoor fridge we have, but we had the same problem. After lubing the orginial fan motor and still having the same problem, our dealer replaced the orginial motor with a new one and no noise since.

Yes it is a very annoying noise, especially at night. I heard that this motor has caused problems in the past, but can't prove it.

If your fridge is like ours, it is a simple task - just unplug and remove the current fan motor plug and install and plug in the one.

On our model, the fan is accessable from the rear exterior top panel. If it truly is the source of the noise, you will hear it when you get into the compartment.

Hope this helps.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 12:24 PM   #5

Thanks for all the replies. Yes, it is a Dometic fridge (not sure of the model) but I'll check for fan replacements.
FriscoDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 12:35 PM   #6

I installed a switch to turn the fan off at night. I figure at night it is cooler and having the fan not running would not be a problem. In the morning I just turn it back on. I did this last year and have not had any problems with the refer cooling.
jwuertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 12:46 PM   #7
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriscoDad View Post
Thanks for all the replies. Yes, it is a Dometic fridge (not sure of the model) but I'll check for fan replacements.
That is what I thought. Ours is a DM2862 and as stated earlier by me, our fan was replaced shortly after we purchased our 29rk.

As I also stated, I believe that this fan is a piece of junk. I say that after receiving some "off the record" comments by our dealers service personnel that this fan is always a source of noise.
Old 06-03-2012, 04:29 PM   #8

During the day it is not a real issue but at night specially if the fridg is close to the bed it can be quite disturbing. Also this fan is jacked up in the upper part of the fridg and can be quite hard to service. B47 has a good idea to install a switch in the line and shut it off at night. This fan will work in any combination of power. Gas, electric and 12 volts from the battery if you are camping in the booney with no electricity except the battery and it is there when the problem is starting to turn bad. It uses the precious electricity from you precious battery reserve. For my part and I posted this tread several times. I installed a domestic home fridge fan that you have inside the freezer. With this fan running ( sorry it runs on 110 volts ) the other OE fan does not cycle all the time and usually stay quiet. I will also probably follow the idea from B47 to install a cut off switch because I like to go camping in the sites without electricity sometimes. ( these spots are always more with nature than the fully serviced spots ) I am including a picture of my project with the home fan avaliable at most appliance parts stores for very cheap ( under $20. )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06620.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	14750   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06621.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	14751  
capucine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 05:11 PM   #9
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by capucine View Post
During the day it is not a real issue but at night specially if the fridg is close to the bed it can be quite disturbing. Also this fan is jacked up in the upper part of the fridg and can be quite hard to service. B47 has a good idea to install a switch in the line and shut it off at night. This fan will work in any combination of power. Gas, electric and 12 volts from the battery if you are camping in the booney with no electricity except the battery and it is there when the problem is starting to turn bad. It uses the precious electricity from you precious battery reserve. For my part and I posted this tread several times. I installed a domestic home fridge fan that you have inside the freezer. With this fan running ( sorry it runs on 110 volts ) the other OE fan does not cycle all the time and usually stay quiet. I will also probably follow the idea from B47 to install a cut off switch because I like to go camping in the sites without electricity sometimes. ( these spots are always more with nature than the fully serviced spots ) I am including a picture of my project with the home fan avaliable at most appliance parts stores for very cheap ( under $20. )
Thanks, but the credit for the switch goes to Jwvertz.

Tags
fan