Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2014, 07:28 PM   #1

Questions on a used Salem

We recently purchased a 2004 forest river salem le 28 ft travel trailer as it is out first trailer i was goin over it today and the previous owner told me the hot water heater doesnt wirk on electric as the element burnt out so i was wondering how do i operate it on gas and ive read that before i start it to make sure there is water in the tank, would that b just by filling up fresh water tank? Please help goin on first trip in 2 wks
Jfmf527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 09:57 AM   #2
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

Hi and welcome.
1. fill your water system either connection to city water or fill your fresh tank and turn on your water pump.
2. make sure water is in your pipes and comes out of the faucets.
3. turn on the propane tanks
4. check if there's a switch at the water heater that turns on the electric. Turn it off.
5. check on your control panel if there's a switch that says water heater, hot water, or something like that, and switch it on.
6. go out side by the water heater and you should hear the gas start up (if it has electric pizo start) and feel the hot air coming off the burner.
7. you're good to go.
8. Get the electric element replaced, shouldn't be a difficult do it your selfer, makes life a lot easier.

Happy Camping.
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 09:59 AM   #3

Thank u ox canper, do i also need to make sure there is water in hot water tank, n if so how do i do that?
Old 09-02-2014, 10:09 AM   #4
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

yep you sure do.
you do it by #s 1 & 2 above. Make sure you turn on both hot and cold water faucets on all your sink, shower, ect. That gets the air out, prevents pockets, and potential overheating. Once you turn on the water pump or connect to the city water hose, turning on your hot taps will fill the hot water system.
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
Old 09-02-2014, 10:10 AM   #5
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

PS, when breaking camp, make sure you turn off your hot water heater and propane tanks.

Happy Camping!
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
Old 09-02-2014, 10:11 AM   #6

Great Thank u very much, im happy i joined the forums.
Old 09-03-2014, 05:16 PM   #7
Carknocker Family

To make sure you have water in the water heater, go to the water heater and lift up on lever that is on pop off valve. If water comes out, with either pump or hooked to city supply, tank is full. Air may come out first. If nothing happens, water heater is bypassed and none in tank. The previously posted steps will not catch a water heater that is bypassed. New camper, you don't know what previous owner did or how they left it.
2017 Ram 2500
2014 Salem 32BHDS
Ida Ratherbe Camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 09:22 AM   #8
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ida Ratherbe Camping View Post
To make sure you have water in the water heater, go to the water heater and lift up on lever that is on pop off valve. If water comes out, with either pump or hooked to city supply, tank is full. Air may come out first. If nothing happens, water heater is bypassed and none in tank. The previously posted steps will not catch a water heater that is bypassed. New camper, you don't know what previous owner did or how they left it.
Great suggestion!
1992 Goldwing Aspencade