Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-15-2020, 03:10 PM   #21

We leave ours down at every rest stop or truck stop. We put out a reflective marker so people noticed. Never had a problem
Great bourbon-just about any of San Diego’s craft beer
Beachbourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 04:00 PM   #22
llr

While I really like the idea of the solid steps I would never have them unless I had a dual door camper. Then solid on one and regular pull out on the other
TV 2024 F350 DRW Lariat Ultimate
Prior TV 2017 F150 6.5' bed 3.5 Eco-boost Max tow 1800lbs payload - sold 4/24
llr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 07:25 PM   #23

I use rest stops with slide in and I sleep on the couch. I hug the driver side line and leave the steps down with the porch light on. Grab handle is folded flat. So far so good, but never used a truck stop yet, just highway rest stops
jbflag21ds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 07:09 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesRayside View Post
We don't use rest stops for that purpose. I can see where trying to sleep in a pull thru parking slot would be an issue. We always use places such as Walmart and if you are out away from the store it's always mostly empty. We park across several slots and just live within that 20' x 5 or 6 parking slots. If you want to add a little more comfort you can always drop a 36" reflective top cone at the base of your steps. Good side is you get a little food/whole goods shopping in each night. My opinion it's much safer as well. There's always 3-4 more out there doing the same, also sprawling out in the open areas. People seem to know to stay clear.

Good Luck.
I've never tried a Walmart, although I heard they are quite popular for overnights in many places. I guess it depends on the area too, because so far as I know overnight is prohibited at all Walmart in the entire SF Bay Area and the whole of LA.
CustomBuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 07:35 PM   #25

When I park in a Rest Area with the trucks and other RV's I do a couple things so I can put my folding steps out. First, I try to pull as far to the right as possible without encroaching on the adjacent lane. Most areas where I've stopped are in the West and seem to have wide pull through lanes, guessing 14'. I also pull as far forward as practical without making it difficult for a truck/trailer on my right to pull out. This also leaves more room for an incoming truck to make the turn if the traffic lane is narrow.

I have reflective tape on my fold out grip rail and a reflective traffic cone that I place at the side of the step, even with the end. Want to make the step more visible for incoming trucks or RV's and also want to make it so someone on the way to the restroom doesn't trip over the extended step.

I do try to avoid rest areas that are too "tight".

So far (40+ years) I haven't received any "Messages" from trucks parking close to my stairs.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 09:38 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
So far (40+ years) I haven't received any "Messages" from trucks parking close to my stairs.
That's reassuring.

I'll see how it works out once my trailer arrives. One downside of the 22RBHL is that you can't access the bed without opening the slide which is on the left side. Perhaps I can open it just enough to squeeze through the gap and still have enough space on the right side to climb in and out of the entry door. I certainly have the agility to climb in without steps, so long as there is nothing blocking my way; such as the OE LCI solid steps.
CustomBuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 12:14 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by CustomBuild View Post
That's reassuring.

I'll see how it works out once my trailer arrives. One downside of the 22RBHL is that you can't access the bed without opening the slide which is on the left side. Perhaps I can open it just enough to squeeze through the gap and still have enough space on the right side to climb in and out of the entry door. I certainly have the agility to climb in without steps, so long as there is nothing blocking my way; such as the OE LCI solid steps.
I admire (envy) your agility! I feel like I get around pretty good, but when my 21DS is set up and level, my door threshold is somewhere between 32 and 34 inches above the ground. Even without my steps in the way, that ain't happening without a step stool or a pole vault pole!

2003 F150 Supercab 4x4, tow pkg, 3.55 gears
2020 Flagstaff Micro Lite 21DS
Qwkynuf is offline   Reply With Quote