Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2020, 11:34 AM   #1

Salem 26dble bunk ladder.

Good morning all. I have a Salem 26DBLE, our daughter prefers to sleep on the top bunk. The TT didn't have a ladder installed, anyone here have the same TT, if so what are you doing for a bunk ladder?
Tennessee Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 08:02 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered. Try using the search function at the top right of the page there have been many articles on bunkbed ladders that folks have modified to fit their situation.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 08:38 PM   #3

That unit looks an awful lot like ours with a couple of small differences. One of those differences is the ability to use the dinette bench as a step to the upper bunk (yours obviously does not). We had the option of ladder / no ladder, of which we chose none, based on our daughters' prefs. I'm wondering if a dealer with similar units would sell you one from another unit. The pictures I've looked at make the ladder appear structural, so maybe not but it might be worth a shot.

Anyway, just a thought & good luck!
Old 03-21-2020, 08:45 PM   #4

Thanks Seadog. I did a search but didn't find what I was looking for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
Welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered. Try using the search function at the top right of the page there have been many articles on bunkbed ladders that folks have modified to fit their situation.
Old 03-21-2020, 08:49 PM   #5

Yes that is right we can't use the dinette as a step. We could have order one from dealer just didn't do it. I have looked on YouTube, saw self made ladders and most were permanent. I probably will do the same thing. Thanks for the reply.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOTerp View Post
That unit looks an awful lot like ours with a couple of small differences. One of those differences is the ability to use the dinette bench as a step to the upper bunk (yours obviously does not). We had the option of ladder / no ladder, of which we chose none, based on our daughters' prefs. I'm wondering if a dealer with similar units would sell you one from another unit. The pictures I've looked at make the ladder appear structural, so maybe not but it might be worth a shot.

Anyway, just a thought & good luck!
Old 03-22-2020, 12:45 PM   #6
rfifer

Not necessarily a permanent solution, but perhaps an interim one - a project ladder. These are very light weight and come in a variety of heights/steps. They also tend to be rather easy to store because they are so lightweight. I have two (of different heights) that I use around the house for home projects and are available from home centers.
rfifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 02:16 PM   #7

You could try something like this https://www.campingworld.com/black-b...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Or, depending on the age of the person using the top bunk, they may be able to just climb up and down. We've got a slightly different situation, but my 10 year old is fine climbing into to the top bunk.
Skip12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 07:25 PM   #8

Skip12 I could not open your link. Thanks for trying though. Our daughter is complaint bout the 3 ft climb she has to do to sleep on the toy bunk.( Life is so hard for a 16 yr old)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip12 View Post
You could try something like this https://www.campingworld.com/black-b...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Or, depending on the age of the person using the top bunk, they may be able to just climb up and down. We've got a slightly different situation, but my 10 year old is fine climbing into to the top bunk.
Old 03-23-2020, 07:26 PM   #9

I will give that some serious consideration.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfifer View Post
Not necessarily a permanent solution, but perhaps an interim one - a project ladder. These are very light weight and come in a variety of heights/steps. They also tend to be rather easy to store because they are so lightweight. I have two (of different heights) that I use around the house for home projects and are available from home centers.
Old 03-24-2020, 01:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennessee Phil View Post
Good morning all. I have a Salem 26DBLE, our daughter prefers to sleep on the top bunk. The TT didn't have a ladder installed, anyone here have the same TT, if so what are you doing for a bunk ladder?
You could build one yourself. I had a Cruise Lite 201BHXL and it didn't come with a ladder. Bought a couple 2x2s and a couple L brackets that I bent to make hooks to go over the edge of the bunk. I coated the L bracket in the coating for hand tool handles(a few dollars for a can at Harbor Freight) , so the fake leather on the edge wouldn't get cut. I also put rubber furniture feet on the bottom to protect the floor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0323191445.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	161.8 KB
ID:	225688  
BayouCamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 04:45 PM   #11

That's my thinking too. But I don't have the room that you have. My top bunk has a 45 ° angle where the bottomis 90°, plus I only have about 3in from edge of the beds go the bathroom door. I have pics just can't get them uploaded.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouCamper1 View Post
You could build one yourself. I had a Cruise Lite 201BHXL and it didn't come with a ladder. Bought a couple 2x2s and a couple L brackets that I bent to make hooks to go over the edge of the bunk. I coated the L bracket in the coating for hand tool handles(a few dollars for a can at Harbor Freight) , so the fake leather on the edge wouldn't get cut. I also put rubber furniture feet on the bottom to protect the floor.
Old 04-04-2020, 04:47 PM   #12

Well I finally figured the pic problem. Here is situation with the bunk beds. Looks like I will have to make a permanent ladder. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200404_163842533_MP.jpeg
Views:	118
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	226245Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200404_163830873.jpeg
Views:	107
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	226246
Old 05-18-2020, 01:22 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennessee Phil View Post
Well I finally figured the pic problem. Here is situation with the bunk beds. Looks like I will have to make a permanent ladder. Attachment 226245Attachment 226246
Well after a good sit down with a beer and little head scratching I finally figured out what I needed to do. Spent about $35.00 for supplies and hear it is. Sure is amazing how a cold beer will clear your mind and let you think clearly. On a serious note I give a big Thank You for the great ideas passed to me by fellow campers.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200518_131343442.jpeg
Views:	113
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	229343

Tags
bunk, salem