Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2012, 04:41 PM   #1

Salem cruise 181bhxl

Just purchased a 2013 Salem cruise 181bhxl I know its on the lower end of the trailers I'm just curious if any one has one and any good or bad points? Quality trailer? We are upgrading from our high wall tent trailer after it was stolen from us.
Jamisonhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 04:52 PM   #2
Site Team

Hi there!

Yea - Cruise Lite Power!

I have a different Cruise Lite unit and I am real happy with it. It might be a lower end trailer but it's a fine trailer. It fits my needs and budget. Sorry to hear about your tent trailer being stolen but I think you will be happy with the Cruise Lite.

Feel free to post pictures.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 01:19 AM   #3

Hey there,

ditto x2

We also bought a 2013 Salem Cruise Lite 181BHXL as well in June 30th this year, its still at dealer, they had 2 left, we bought the last one. We're still waiting for the back pack rack from Forest River, we ordered through the dealer. Once it arrives they will weld it on for us, we wanted to have this just for added extra carrying space, stuff that can't fit inside the TT or in the truck bed. We like this unit it due to its price, floor plan, good use of floor space IMHO. We have yet to use it, so can't comment on that as its not in our possesion yet. I would have love to have pass through storage, I might add one someday, but gonna enjoy what I can get out of it.

The idea isn't about what you can or can't afford, its about what TT makes you comfortable (everyone has different needs/wants). But the biggest thing is about trip you are gonna take with it and memories your going to get out of RVing/Camping etc. This our first TT and it is a starting point as well as a learning experience.
Night Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 03:24 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Stone View Post
Hey there,

ditto x2

We also bought a 2013 Salem Cruise Lite 181BHXL as well in June 30th this year, its still at dealer, they had 2 left, we bought the last one. We're still waiting for the back pack rack from Forest River, we ordered through the dealer. Once it arrives they will weld it on for us, we wanted to have this just for added extra carrying space, stuff that can't fit inside the TT or in the truck bed. We like this unit it due to its price, floor plan, good use of floor space IMHO. We have yet to use it, so can't comment on that as its not in our possesion yet. I would have love to have pass through storage, I might add one someday, but gonna enjoy what I can get out of it.

The idea isn't about what you can or can't afford, its about what TT makes you comfortable (everyone has different needs/wants). But the biggest thing is about trip you are gonna take with it and memories your going to get out of RVing/Camping etc. This our first TT and it is a starting point as well as a learning experience.
Well said!

I'm looking forward to hearing about each of your adventures RVing with your Cruise Lite trailers. Love to see some pictures too.

Old 07-14-2012, 09:02 AM   #5

back pack rack

I asked my dealer for the back pa k rack and they said I couldn't have it that it had to be added at the factory something about the frame manufacturer. How exactly did you order yours?
Old 07-14-2012, 06:01 PM   #6

RE: Back pack rack

As far as I know, this is an option for Salem Cruise-lite listed in their brochures, maybe 2013 model specific? But no where its states it has to be a factory installed. I had asked Corky, my sales agent about getting one to add to my trailer, he suggested I talk to his service manager who is more knowledgeable and he's the guy who ordered it for us. I had saw one on a longer cruise lite unit at his lot and was impress how it was made and mounted. I felt we should have one on ours. Showed the back pack rack to my wife, and she agrees with me on getting one. She says we can carry the bbq or generator and extra fuel or other things etc.

I asked Jerry the service manager whether my bumper or frame can be use, he said its not a problem on mine. We have not taken delivery of our trailer since we signed the papers, it should be ready for us this coming week.
Old 07-15-2012, 12:35 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamisonhouse View Post
I asked my dealer for the back pa k rack and they said I couldn't have it that it had to be added at the factory something about the frame manufacturer. How exactly did you order yours?
Could it be frame warranty related?

Old 07-16-2012, 11:16 AM   #8

I'm not sure why they aren't able to get it it is a 2013 model I havent even taken it home yet.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:26 AM   #9
Site Team

Is the unit on the dealership lot or still at the factory?

Old 07-16-2012, 07:35 PM   #10

It's at the dealership.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:19 PM   #11

Is it possible that it might have to do with different regions? My dealer is in Pomona, CA
Days camped in 2015-18, 0 Days so far
Days camped in 2019, (8)
This Space for Rent
Old 07-16-2012, 09:48 PM   #12
Site Team

Night Stone - is the name of your dealer Family RV?

Old 07-16-2012, 10:59 PM   #13
Site Team

I ran into problems with a second battery fitting on the frame. The only way to make it work was by removing the oversized bolts and welding the HD saddles in place. Prior to giving my approval I was informed by my dealership's service department manager that welding would void the warranty on that part of the frame. The way it was explained was that the warranty was provided based on certain conditions; therefore altering the frame would change the rules of the game.

As for adding the back pack rack at the dealership - I honestly do not know if it would or would not affect the frame warranty. This is where investing in some homework could be worth it.

Old 07-16-2012, 11:43 PM   #14

Good to know about the battery, we asked for a second battery box and jumper but haven't heard a word about an issuer fitting. Will be picking it up tomorrow. We will see!
Old 07-17-2012, 12:05 AM   #15
Site Team

Bet you are excited about picking it up tomorrow! Takes notes, use your smartphone to take pics or video when necessary during the PDI.

If you are bringing directly home practice setting it up. Driveway camping will help refresh your memory as you spend time getting to know your RV. Have questions? We are here.

And please take lots of pictures - we love pictures.

and get some rest as tomorrow will be a busy day.
Terier

Old 07-17-2012, 11:30 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terier View Post
Night Stone - is the name of your dealer Family RV?
Yes, the dealer is Family RV in Pomona where I found my TT, I've have positive experience with them so far. Their prices on their RVs are very decent compared to Bakersfield's RV dealers.

I think in this case, its adding a product and not altering or moving something off the frame. I know our TT has one battery, but the battery mount allows for dual battery set-up, its right behind the propane tanks. Maybe later down the road I will get a dual battery, once I have alot more RVing experience. I am still deciding whether to get a 2nd yr extension from Forest River, may have to ask the dealer when I go back.
Days camped in 2019, (8)
This Space for Rent
Old 07-17-2012, 01:02 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Stone View Post
Yes, the dealer is Family RV in Pomona where I found my TT, I've have positive experience with them so far. Their prices on their RVs are very decent compared to Bakersfield's RV dealers.

I think in this case, its adding a product and not altering or moving something off the frame. I know our TT has one battery, but the battery mount allows for dual battery set-up, its right behind the propane tanks. Maybe later down the road I will get a dual battery, once I have alot more RVing experience. I am still deciding whether to get a 2nd yr extension from Forest River, may have to ask the dealer when I go back.

I brought from Family RV at their other location in Ontario. I have a great relationship with them and they do treat me like family. Sonia was the service manager in Ontario before moving to the Pomona location.

I just added the second battery recently. Until now I didn't have a need for a second battery. I think you are wise to wait and see what your camping/RVing needs actually are. BTW Do you have a battery disconnect?

FR does not require dealers to inform customers of the second year warranty. I found out about it here 7 months after I brought my TT. When I mentioned it at the dealership the finance manager didn't seem to *know anything about it* but yet a couple months later the service department knew exactly what it was after I said I got it. For $150 it gave me peace of mind. In the end extended warranties, from FR or otherwise, are a personal choice that only we can make.

When do you take delivery? Do you already have camping plans? I'm excited for you!

Old 07-17-2012, 03:22 PM   #18

Ok, just got a call back from the dealer, they would have to extend the frame to make the forest river back pack rack work, that will void the warranty which is 5ys on the frame. They can do the work if requested, as long as you understood about having the frame warranty waived. We decided not to go this route.

Sonia gave us alternatives, she ordered a different rack for us which can be used, a little cheaper than the FF rack installed, also carries more weight, not that we need our nose end up high. All they have to do is reinforced the frame just for peace of mind (safety)

We will be picking up ours this Thursday, hopefully camp with it on way home, maybe stop by a KOA site. Definitely something we would want to do, I already requested thur and fri off from work, need to make good use of that mini vacation
Days camped in 2019, (8)
This Space for Rent
Old 07-17-2012, 04:28 PM   #19
Site Team

Night Stone

You are in good hands with Sonia and I'm glad to hear that she found a way to get a back rack for you. Thursday is just right around the corner too . I think that's the day I'm picking up my trailer from service in Ontario so we might pass on the road.

There is a small campground in Riverside that is nice. Rancho Jurupa has two campgrounds in the same area. Cottonwood is the newer campground which has large concrete driveways, grass area, cable TV, free WiFi and a water play area. This cg has the nicest restrooms & showers I have found at a campground. Below is a link in case you would like to check it out in the future: Camping Reservations « Riverside County Regional Park & Open-Space District

Enjoy your new trailer and mini vacation!

Old 07-17-2012, 08:20 PM   #20

We picked up our trailer today, we have both batteries, but the boxes wouldn't fit so we talked them into putting the box cover and strap on with out the bottom of the box. Seems to work ok. After arriving home I sat down in the dinette and promptly knocked off the side strip. It's just a cosmetic thing so I will be modify it soon and so it begins with making the trailer our own.