Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2017, 07:17 PM   #41

HOORAY! And congratulations!
So glad we could help! [emoji2]
flosmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 12:59 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDNAVY View Post
Hi all. I am seriously looking at the stated model and all seems very good for the size of the trailer. Does anyone have an experience with this model and would like to share thoughts?
We have the 190RBXL. Love the TT and all the goodies it came with for a trailer this size. My only gripe was taking that first step (and I don't mean the purchase). I was lucky though. The 2 step I purchased was 1/2" too narrow. I just added 1/4" shims each side. I guess my question is... why doesn't FR put the 2 step on at the factory? Most of us are not 20 years old anymore.
Ttramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 01:15 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDNAVY View Post
Well, we renegotiated and for the $14,500 price he is throwing in a WDH with sway control installed. So, I did the deal.

Question: I have a popup that I have kept in the garage, so tire exposure was never a concern. I will be parking this RV in a friend's field. Are the tires ok on the bare ground, or should I drive them up on wood or step stones?
Off the ground and covered is great. The side walls get weak and start to crack even with all the care just from sitting. Tires on trailers are changed more by time than mileage. A few years back I looked at my tires and said one more trip (big mistake 50 miles out) looked like a grenade out the mirror. Major damage. And if you have a single axle you should pay even more attention to them tires. I live in a desert and change mine now every 2 years. HAPPY CAMPIN
Old 08-31-2017, 09:50 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttramp View Post
We have the 190RBXL. Love the TT and all the goodies it came with for a trailer this size. My only gripe was taking that first step (and I don't mean the purchase). I was lucky though. The 2 step I purchased was 1/2" too narrow. I just added 1/4" shims each side. I guess my question is... why doesn't FR put the 2 step on at the factory? Most of us are not 20 years old anymore.

That 190RBXL is a sweet floor plan. If we'd seen it, we'd have likely bought it. I really like the storage cabinet inside the door and larger pass-thru access. And is that a Queen bed rather than a "short queen"?? Wow!
I'm glad you got the double step to work for you; much easier to fill in a little space than to snug in a tighter fit!

Enjoy!!
flosmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 01:41 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by flosmith View Post
That 190RBXL is a sweet floor plan. If we'd seen it, we'd have likely bought it. I really like the storage cabinet inside the door and larger pass-thru access. And is that a Queen bed rather than a "short queen"?? Wow!
I'm glad you got the double step to work for you; much easier to fill in a little space than to snug in a tighter fit!

Enjoy!!
Thanks, we got lucky with the floor plan with this small trailer with a double axle as we have limited parking and I want to keep it at home. Full size queen the wife says. Not as thick of a mattress as in the stores but works fine. The murf bed was a must as we now have dinette and couch. But the big ticket for me is the bathroom, got room for me and the sports page. Thanks again
HAPPY CAMPING
Old 11-06-2017, 03:51 PM   #46

Talking Proud new owner of 2017 Forest River Salem Cruise Lite 171RBXL

Hi all! New to the forum and new to owning a TT. I've driven a 33ft motor home previously and a semi truck solo for 3 yrs but that doesn't count

We have the 2017 Forest River Salem Cruise Lite T171RBXL with some add-ons that were included, like rear fold down cargo rack and spare tire, heated tanks and enclosed underbelly, Zamp solar-ready, 4 usb ports (2 by bed, 2 under dinette table). Not sure what else would be considered add-ons, but we have just about everything except for the awning LED strip that changes colors. Ours is just white, I think.

Things I love about this model and why we chose it:

1. Great for couples! Great layout with just enough space and amenities without going overboard.

2. Size/Agility! We tend to spend 2-3 nights out, mostly within Idaho's mountains and canyon lands. We ended up passing on a 27' model with a slide-out because length and width (with slide out) may limit our camping spot options in the forests, or ability to do a turn-around in a slightly tighter space. Super easy to tow with my F150 dry or heavy.

3. Storage space! Dude, for this size, you get SO MUCH STORAGE inside. And, for a small trailer, you get the pass-through storage and an extra storage space outside with access to your plumbing knobs under the plywood. I don't think the 191RBXL has that extra storage door. Inside is the perfect amount of storage for 2 as well, and the layout of the bathroom is better than the 2018 191RBXL as well. Tons more cabinet storage and you still have all that room around the toilet and floor space!

4. Murphy bed?! At first, I was put-off about a murphy bed, but with a short queen, that works out just fine, because you can still have walking space when it's down!

5. Glass stove cover, flush sink cover, extra counter leaf! Again, just enough space to work in, make sandwiches, cook, prepare food. The leaf goes up if I want to set the dish drainer there.

6. Double axle! I know enough about pulling trailers that I would never go with a single axle TT in case of a blow-out. Just as I would never go down an Interstate at 65-80mph on two wheels if I had a motorcycle. You'd be screwed if one tire went.

7. Sheet metal/aluminum exterior and diamond plate front rock guard! I know that's a strange thing to love about a trailer, and so old-school, but less chance of oxidation/fading with aluminum and sheet metal siding than you would encounter with fiberglass exteriors. And what's not to love about a rock guard?

----------
Things I don't love so much and will either upgrade sometime, or can't do much about:

1. Slightly shorter awning because of the storage door near the rear of the trailer. I'm willing to live with that because I have extra storage.

2. No fan for ventilation above the bed area. I plan to install a Maxx Air fan with built in vent cover + a vent cover for the extraction fan/vent already in the bathroom.

3. Non-ducted heating in or near floor. Bathroom doesn't even have heat going to it. Can't do much to remedy that except buy a small ceramic space heater with blower that oscillates and plug it in by the sink of the bathroom. The heater for the main living space under the kitchen sink is plenty to heat that area.

4. No ladder to the roof. I can't really add this AND keep the fold-down rack on the back bumper, so I'll have to buy a collapsible extension ladder to stow in the pass-thru. Most ladders built onto TT's are pretty flimsy without much weight capacity (unlike Lance trailer models), so I doubt I would have used a trailer ladder anyway.

5. Really low black/grey water valves. I understand that if you have a trailer with high ground clearance, your roof height goes up, too. That would limit the forest camping locations I might have access to, so I let this go. I just worry about slowly rolling over a short stump or large rock and then taking out the pipes there. Meh.

6. One step into the trailer instead of 2. My mom wanted to check out the trailer yesterday but couldn't get inside because she has very little leg strength to take such a high step up. I'll be replacing this eventually with a 2-step replacement. As long as it doesn't make the stowed step too low, also causing a potential risk to the steps by going over a short stump or large rock. Any suggestions?

7. Small hand-hold at door. I'd much rather a fold-back, larger hand hold getting in and out of the trailer. Might do this as a replacement in the future. Anyone have experience doing this with the same model trailer? Is there anchoring wood under the sheet metal up and down the left side of the door?
-----------
Basically, that's it. I got an extended FULL COVERAGE warranty, because anything can happen when a trailer goes through an earthquake every time you pull it... and a Good Sam roadside assistance membership, because they have 24-hr troubleshooting assistance, and send 2 tow trucks. I have USAA insurance, who goes through Progressive for their RV insurance, but their roadside assistance package is a bit too limiting for my likes. Also got Cilajet added to the interior and exterior (for free - long story) I feel good about this purchase and the price we negotiated. While we're all winterized for the season, I look forward to its maiden voyage at the end of April for the half marathon at Zion N.P.! That'll be a 9 hour drive, roughly. We will see how that goes!

Any other advice to a newbie is greatly appreciated and considered!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171104_152456-01.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	356.2 KB
ID:	155917  
Idahome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 04:53 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by flosmith View Post
New steps arrived; no hassle involved. Installed yesterday. Applied a little hitch grease to help with the snug fit. Now I love our 171RBXL and the double steps!

Attachment 148852Attachment 148853
I'm confused: are these pictures of another set of steps eTrailers sent to you to remedy the bent rod steps you installed and pictured in a previous post? If so, how did the company remedy it? Different model of steps? Was this for a 171RBXL? Which steps did you actually end up with that work really well for you?
Old 11-06-2017, 05:53 PM   #48

We loved our 171RBXL. I added the pivoting grab handle by the door. Screws got a good bite. I angled them a bit but not sure that was necessary. I had a folding leg platform step that I used when needed. You didn't miss much not getting the color lights. I doubt you will need a roof top ladder; not much need to get up there while camping. Heater worked great for us, used electrical one if we had hookups. The water tank on mine was not well supported, I beefed it up. I did not have heated tanks or enclosed bottom so yours may be better. (Mine was 2016).
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 06:04 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahome View Post

7. Small hand-hold at door. I'd much rather a fold-back, larger hand hold getting in and out of the trailer. Might do this as a replacement in the future. Anyone have experience doing this with the same model trailer? Is there anchoring wood under the sheet metal up and down the left side of the door?

Here is a picture showing the Swing-Out Grab Bar handle we installed on our 171rbxl when we had it. EZ install. It installs right along the edge of the ( has wooden door frame ) and we had centered it over the existing smaller handle. Very secure as well.
Just make sure you don't get too long of wood screws. Worked great!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0423161621.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	394.4 KB
ID:	155926  
2019 Flagstaff HW29SC ( sold )
2017 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL ( sold )
2014 Ford 150 XLT 5.0 2wd
Briorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 06:11 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
You didn't miss much not getting the color lights. I doubt you will need a roof top ladder.

The colored light strips are really nice though if you want to change colors or even soften the brightness of the lights while around the campfire. Nice ambiance! And the different colors are pretty neat too. We have them on our 232RBXL as well. Just a personal preference, I suppose. But still a nice addition.

And as for a roof ladder a 6 foot step is all that is really needed.
2019 Flagstaff HW29SC ( sold )
2017 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL ( sold )
2014 Ford 150 XLT 5.0 2wd
Briorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 06:20 PM   #51

Quote:
6. One step into the trailer instead of 2.
I had my dealer put on a 2-step when I purchased my CruiseLite. Makes a lot of difference. Haven't noticed any problem with it hanging low - unless you leave it open and drive away.

2021 Nights Camped: 29 (so far)
2020 Nights Camped: 18
2019 Nights Camped: 18
MartiB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 06:21 PM   #52

Quote:
We loved our 171RBXL. I added the pivoting grab handle by the door. Screws got a good bite. I angled them a bit but not sure that was necessary. I had a folding leg platform step that I used when needed. You didn't miss much not getting the color lights. I doubt you will need a roof top ladder; not much need to get up there while camping. Heater worked great for us, used electrical one if we had hookups. The water tank on mine was not well supported, I beefed it up. I did not have heated tanks or enclosed bottom so yours may be better. (Mine was 2016).
Thanks for the reply from your experience! I'm DEFINITELY going to do the grab handle upgrade then.

2-step stairs not SO important for us, but maybe a future upgrade. The colored lights weren't really a preference because I always have the amber porch light which is better on night vision than white light if it's a problem.

As for the ladder, I HOPE I wouldn't have to use one while camping, but if there's a seal issue and it's raining, I want the ability to make a quick fix.

If I could get up under the rig and remove a portion of the underbelly cover, I would have a peek at how the tank is sitting. I don't have welding skills but my parents' neighbor does out where they live. Could be an option!
Old 11-06-2017, 06:25 PM   #53

Quote:
Hi all! New to the forum and new to owning a TT. I've driven a 33ft motor home previously and a semi truck solo for 3 yrs but that doesn't count

We have the 2017 Forest River Salem Cruise Lite T171RBXL with some add-ons that were included, like rear fold down cargo rack and spare tire, heated tanks and enclosed underbelly, Zamp solar-ready, 4 usb ports (2 by bed, 2 under dinette table). Not sure what else would be considered add-ons, but we have just about everything except for the awning LED strip that changes colors. Ours is just white, I think.

Things I love about this model and why we chose it:

1. Great for couples! Great layout with just enough space and amenities without going overboard.

2. Size/Agility! We tend to spend 2-3 nights out, mostly within Idaho's mountains and canyon lands. We ended up passing on a 27' model with a slide-out because length and width (with slide out) may limit our camping spot options in the forests, or ability to do a turn-around in a slightly tighter space. Super easy to tow with my F150 dry or heavy.

3. Storage space! Dude, for this size, you get SO MUCH STORAGE inside. And, for a small trailer, you get the pass-through storage and an extra storage space outside with access to your plumbing knobs under the plywood. I don't think the 191RBXL has that extra storage door. Inside is the perfect amount of storage for 2 as well, and the layout of the bathroom is better than the 2018 191RBXL as well. Tons more cabinet storage and you still have all that room around the toilet and floor space!

4. Murphy bed?! At first, I was put-off about a murphy bed, but with a short queen, that works out just fine, because you can still have walking space when it's down!

5. Glass stove cover, flush sink cover, extra counter leaf! Again, just enough space to work in, make sandwiches, cook, prepare food. The leaf goes up if I want to set the dish drainer there.

6. Double axle! I know enough about pulling trailers that I would never go with a single axle TT in case of a blow-out. Just as I would never go down an Interstate at 65-80mph on two wheels if I had a motorcycle. You'd be screwed if one tire went.

7. Sheet metal/aluminum exterior and diamond plate front rock guard! I know that's a strange thing to love about a trailer, and so old-school, but less chance of oxidation/fading with aluminum and sheet metal siding than you would encounter with fiberglass exteriors. And what's not to love about a rock guard?

----------
Things I don't love so much and will either upgrade sometime, or can't do much about:

1. Slightly shorter awning because of the storage door near the rear of the trailer. I'm willing to live with that because I have extra storage.

2. No fan for ventilation above the bed area. I plan to install a Maxx Air fan with built in vent cover + a vent cover for the extraction fan/vent already in the bathroom.

3. Non-ducted heating in or near floor. Bathroom doesn't even have heat going to it. Can't do much to remedy that except buy a small ceramic space heater with blower that oscillates and plug it in by the sink of the bathroom. The heater for the main living space under the kitchen sink is plenty to heat that area.

4. No ladder to the roof. I can't really add this AND keep the fold-down rack on the back bumper, so I'll have to buy a collapsible extension ladder to stow in the pass-thru. Most ladders built onto TT's are pretty flimsy without much weight capacity (unlike Lance trailer models), so I doubt I would have used a trailer ladder anyway.

5. Really low black/grey water valves. I understand that if you have a trailer with high ground clearance, your roof height goes up, too. That would limit the forest camping locations I might have access to, so I let this go. I just worry about slowly rolling over a short stump or large rock and then taking out the pipes there. Meh.

6. One step into the trailer instead of 2. My mom wanted to check out the trailer yesterday but couldn't get inside because she has very little leg strength to take such a high step up. I'll be replacing this eventually with a 2-step replacement. As long as it doesn't make the stowed step too low, also causing a potential risk to the steps by going over a short stump or large rock. Any suggestions?

-----------
Basically, that's it. I got an extended FULL COVERAGE warranty, because anything can happen when a trailer goes through an earthquake every time you pull it... and a Good Sam roadside assistance membership, because they have 24-hr troubleshooting assistance, and send 2 tow trucks. I have USAA insurance, who goes through Progressive for their RV insurance, but their roadside assistance package is a bit too limiting for my likes. Also got Cilajet added to the interior and exterior (for free - long story) I feel good about this purchase and the price we negotiated. While we're all winterized for the season, I look forward to its maiden voyage at the end of April for the half marathon at Zion N.P.! That'll be a 9 hour drive, roughly. We will see how that goes!

Any other advice to a newbie is greatly appreciated and considered!
Nice TT, I have similar, 190RBXL.
Took a bit, but got a 32" TV on the wall. I think yours has the same layout. Have since installed a shelf for my dish wally receiver.
These little rigs are lacking nothing (now that I got my 2nd step installed). Nowhere it won't fit, even stays in my driveway.
SIZE MATTERS.
Happy Camping.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20170828_121901.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	155931  
Old 11-06-2017, 06:47 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttramp View Post
Nice TT, I have similar, 190RBXL.
Took a bit, but got a 32" TV on the wall. I think yours has the same layout. Have since installed a shelf for my dish wally receiver.
These little rigs are lacking nothing (now that I got my 2nd step installed). Nowhere it won't fit, even stays in my driveway.
SIZE MATTERS.
Happy Camping.
Thank you for your picture! I was wondering what size TV would best fit in that space. Yours is the same layout as mine, just about. My DVD/cd/Radio unit is on the cupboard right next to where the TV is mounted, which is a stupid place, but it just means I need an articulating mount so I can move it out to the side to access the ports on the back of the tv and maybe the DVD/radio. Looks like 32" is the biggest you can go, though I have seen pictures showing a stick-on cardboard or paper poster of a fake tv saying you can get up to a 42" tv there. I seriously doubt that after seeing your picture!
Old 11-06-2017, 07:13 PM   #55

My tv was a 28 inch, could have gone a bit larger. 32 sounds right. Get a solid mount!
Andersen hitch
Old 11-06-2017, 07:21 PM   #56

Quote:
My tv was a 28 inch, could have gone a bit larger. 32 sounds right. Get a solid mount!
I don't NEED an articulating mount, except for having to make room for the stereo unit right next to it. I'll get stabilizing straps for when it's in transit.

Any suggestions on a TV mount for a 32" flat panel? And a safe wood screw length?
Old 11-06-2017, 07:37 PM   #57

I used a flat type mount, no articulating. Get a mount with at least 4 screws in wall, not 2. Max screw length 1 1/2 inches, 1 1/4 is safer. Be sure you hit plywood backing in wall. I never used a transit strap, but the 28 inch only weighted 7 or 8 pounds as I recall.
Andersen hitch
Old 11-06-2017, 08:00 PM   #58

Quote:
I used a flat type mount, no articulating. Get a mount with at least 4 screws in wall, not 2. Max screw length 1 1/2 inches, 1 1/4 is safer. Be sure you hit plywood backing in wall. I never used a transit strap, but the 28 inch only weighted 7 or 8 pounds as I recall.
Okay, perfect. I had planned on getting a mount that utilizes 4 screws into the wall. The wall has a relatively large designated area of wood under the surface to anchor a TV to. Barring purchasing an expensive Jensen tv, I need to find a TV that doesn't have a flimsy plastic rear mounting area because the trailer will rattle and bounce around in transit, and is thin but has a coax/couple HDMI and USB port. Let the search begin!
Old 11-06-2017, 08:50 PM   #59

Not that you asked but I finally gave up on the built in dvd player and added a stand alone Blu-ray player with HDMI cable. Built in was poor quality, keep messing up. Plus I wanted to play Blu-ray movies that I had bought for home use.
Andersen hitch
Old 11-06-2017, 09:41 PM   #60

I'm sure it'll be ok. I don't watch a lot of DVDs. I either stream films/tv or use my multimedia player that plugs in the back. I'm curious as to what a 28" tv looks like on the wall.

Tags
lite, salem