Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2017, 02:38 PM   #1

Smile Salem Cruise Lite 171RBXL review

Hi all. I am seriously looking at the stated model and all seems very good for the size of the trailer. Does anyone have an experience with this model and would like to share thoughts?
OLDNAVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 03:25 PM   #2

There are 3 or 4 of us here who own this model. With good reviews, I might add.

We bought ours new a year and a half ago and have really enjoyed this camper. It's the perfect singles, or couples, camper with a lot of nice "full size" amenities. Everything works great, as they should. It's quite deceiving on the outside as to how spacious the inside is. And the Murphy Bed is a nice addition. Fast and easy setup for bedtime / and stowaway. We even stow our pillows inside the Murphy Bed when closed. Takes all of maybe 2 minutes "tops" to be in bed.

We like that it has a roomier bath to move about in. Perfect for us taller / bigger guys.

For a smaller camper this camper has loads of storage, compared to some of the bigger counterparts. Storage everywhere.....a huge plus!

A very easy pull and easy maneuvering as well. We use a WDH but not the sway bar, although we have one readily available. Haven't experienced any sway issues unless extremely windy. For a smaller camper it is nicely weighted and has a good CC weight as well. Overall a good purchase, and choice, as we haven't experienced any problems since buying this new. Just some FYI, the Wildwood offers a sister companion to this camper. Just different exterior graphics.

Now, the couple complaints I do have are is that the battery area could be a bit more roomier to get in and out of, and the electric stabilizers have a lot to be desired for stability. Manuel Stabilizers would be more welcoming, in my opinion.
2019 Flagstaff HW29SC ( sold )
2017 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL ( sold )
2014 Ford 150 XLT 5.0 2wd
Briorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 07:30 PM   #3

Great. Thanks. The best I can get them down to is $14,500 new with a lot of extras. I am hesitant at that price.
Old 05-16-2017, 09:18 PM   #4

OLDNAVY....If it's any consolation, that's what we paid for ours.

We went to a local RV Show and did some price checking. We thought the RV Show prices were a bit ridiculous. So we took to the internet and had 2 dealers shooting their best offers, and with them both being approx. 5 hours apart in distance from us, and with the color scheme of the cushions ( Camel ) that we wanted, helped us win the deal. So with that info I would say the price is in fair range. But always room for more negotiating......

Best of luck to you. Should you get one, you will enjoy it!
Old 05-16-2017, 09:32 PM   #5

Thanks a bunch!
Old 05-17-2017, 01:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDNAVY View Post
Great. Thanks. The best I can get them down to is $14,500 new with a lot of extras. I am hesitant at that price.
In June of 2015 I purchased my Salem CruiseLite 241QBXL. A friend bought the Wildwood in the smaller size and I'm not sure how the two lines compare but I was glad I decided on the 241. If you cook, the refrigerator is smaller so not a lot of room.

I had paid about what you are listing and it has the motorized stabilizers and awning and a full queen bed. I love it. Is there a reason you are looking at the smaller size?

2021 Nights Camped: 29 (so far)
2020 Nights Camped: 18
2019 Nights Camped: 18
MartiB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 03:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartiB View Post
In June of 2015 I purchased my Salem CruiseLite 241QBXL. A friend bought the Wildwood in the smaller size and I'm not sure how the two lines compare but I was glad I decided on the 241. If you cook, the refrigerator is smaller so not a lot of room.

I had paid about what you are listing and it has the motorized stabilizers and awning and a full queen bed. I love it. Is there a reason you are looking at the smaller size?

Sounds as though your friend bought the "base model" Wildwood that has the under counter fridge and the 2 burner stove top.

As mentioned above, Wildwood and Salem Cruise Lites are sister brands....just different exterior graphics. Both nice units.

The 171rbxl has the same fridge and stove top / oven as the 241qbxl. Love the full size features.
Old 05-17-2017, 06:39 PM   #8

We looked and liked it but...

The refrigerator was too small unfortunately or fortunately depending on how our selection turned out. We visited the dealer who had one and the refer issue and the price was more than we wanted to spend. On the way back we stopped by a Wildwood Dealer who had the exact same model as the Salem but it had the bigger fridge and thousands less. I have a WDH with the sway on my old Jeep GC and traveled across long bridges with wind warnings and no problems. We camped in it twice so far since we are new to this we read and get stuff for our eventual longer trips this year.
Bed is easy but needs a pad, lots of storage with great access. Wonderful flow thru ventilation. Putting a rear camera, ladder and a fantastic fan at the dealer.
Big bathroom, vents, 13.500 BTU AC, Storage, double axle, sold me.
Retiredtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 06:59 PM   #9

We had a Wildwood 171 RBXL and loved it. Large bath, large two door fridge (that worked very well), lots of storage. We only upgraded once we realized we wanted to make longer trips.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 07:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briorick View Post
OLDNAVY....If it's any consolation, that's what we paid for ours.

We went to a local RV Show and did some price checking. We thought the RV Show prices were a bit ridiculous. So we took to the internet and had 2 dealers shooting their best offers, and with them both being approx. 5 hours apart in distance from us, and with the color scheme of the cushions ( Camel ) that we wanted, helped us win the deal. So with that info I would say the price is in fair range. But always room for more negotiating......

Best of luck to you. Should you get one, you will enjoy it!
Well, we renegotiated and for the $14,500 price he is throwing in a WDH with sway control installed. So, I did the deal.

Question: I have a popup that I have kept in the garage, so tire exposure was never a concern. I will be parking this RV in a friend's field. Are the tires ok on the bare ground, or should I drive them up on wood or step stones?
Old 05-17-2017, 08:04 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartiB View Post

I like the size and it has all the amenities larger models have. The murphy bed was a must for me.
Old 05-17-2017, 08:56 PM   #12

Quote:
Well, we renegotiated and for the $14,500 price he is throwing in a WDH with sway control installed. So, I did the deal.

Question: I have a popup that I have kept in the garage, so tire exposure was never a concern. I will be parking this RV in a friend's field. Are the tires ok on the bare ground, or should I drive them up on wood or step stones?
Getting them off the ground would be good, but protection from the sun is the most important thing. Consider tire covers.
Andersen hitch
Old 05-17-2017, 10:03 PM   #13

Quote:

EXCELLENT and Congratulations!!! That is a sweet deal. I am glad you were able to get a Win-Win deal. You will love your Cruise Lite. Just make sure they set up the WDH correctly.

X2, As CedarCreekWoody stated.....Getting them off the ground would be good, but protection from the sun is the most important thing. Consider tire covers.

I have a friend who parks his TT in his back yard atop plywood boards to prevent ground contact. He has done this for years. And mine is parked on a cement pad, under a carport, but do not cover my tires as they don't get much sun exposure. Although we do have winters here. So I may have to rethink that thought.

So, IMO, I think either wood or stepping stones would be fine. And tire covers, "if you need them", may be beneficial. With you being in Texas, you may want them.

Best of luck, make lots of memories and
Old 05-23-2017, 12:56 PM   #14

Asa BrioRick pointed out, the 171rbxl is a great TT. We bought ours last August and love it for all the reasons he stated. With that said though, we are looking to upgrade to a larger one already. For 2 or 3 day trips this TT is perfect but we are planning for retirement now and want to be out for longer periods -- thus we want some "breathing room".

2018 Hemisphere 272rl
2017 Ford F250 XLT 4x2 6.2L 3.73
alarge1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 01:26 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by alarge1 View Post
Asa BrioRick pointed out, the 171rbxl is a great TT. We bought ours last August and love it for all the reasons he stated. With that said though, we are looking to upgrade to a larger one already. For 2 or 3 day trips this TT is perfect but we are planning for retirement now and want to be out for longer periods -- thus we want some "breathing room".
Yep, that is why we traded up too.
Andersen hitch
Old 06-01-2017, 04:47 PM   #16

Just wanted a smaller TT. 17' has all the amenities I need
Old 06-29-2017, 11:23 AM   #17

We have a new 171RBXL also. The only thing I'm not fond of thus far is the single step into the trailer. 13.5" seems a little much, and our toy poodle doesn't like it, either. Other than that, we love our choice! Paid the same as you did.

Happy camping to us all!
flosmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 01:01 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by flosmith View Post
We have a new 171RBXL also. The only thing I'm not fond of thus far is the single step into the trailer. 13.5" seems a little much, and our toy poodle doesn't like it, either. Other than that, we love our choice! Paid the same as you did.

Happy camping to us all!
I, and another forum member ( alarge1 ), had the same issue with our 1 step heights on our 171RBXL's. So we opted to install the 2 stepper from etrailer. The fit is exact, and it made for a smoother transition into the TT. You will definitely like the 2 stepper should you decide to upgrade. Much easier on the legs.
Took about 30 minutes in all to uninstall old / install new. Best with 2 people, but can be done alone, as it is a bit bulky.

Here is the link to the replacement step we installed should you want to check it out.

https://www.etrailer.com/RV_and_Camp.../LC341500.html
Old 06-29-2017, 01:11 PM   #19

I had the 2-step installed at purchase time on my CruiseLite. Makes a bunch of difference! Worth the price.

2021 Nights Camped: 29 (so far)
2020 Nights Camped: 18
2019 Nights Camped: 18
MartiB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 05:40 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briorick View Post
I, and another forum member ( alarge1 ), had the same issue with our 1 step heights on our 171RBXL's. So we opted to install the 2 stepper from etrailer. The fit is exact, and it made for a smoother transition into the TT. You will definitely like the 2 stepper should you decide to upgrade. Much easier on the legs.

Took about 30 minutes in all to uninstall old / install new. Best with 2 people, but can be done alone, as it is a bit bulky.

Here is the link to the replacement step we installed should you want to check it out.

https://www.etrailer.com/RV_and_Camp.../LC341500.html

Thank you so very much! We've been looking for a 2-step that would be an exact fit. I so appreciate you sharing that info!
flosmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lite, salem