Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2012, 08:30 PM   #1
Alm

Salem Cruise-Lite T221RBXL anyone?

Good day, and my apologies for long post. Have to make up my mind in the next few months. Need some info from you guys because here in BC Canada I can't even find it in dealers inventory. Will be getting it in the US anyway, it's cheaper down there.

Thinking of Salem Cruise-Lite T221RBXL (aka Wildwood). It's on my short list with a few slightly larger models by other brands. Those others have plenty of published specs and photos, but Forest River site is sketchy.

Questions:
1) Exterior length? Site says 24 ft, is it with hitch, or just the "box"?
2) Exterior width? Site says TBA - no kidding. This model has been around for at least few years.
They should fire their web developer. I recall 7.5 ft published at some time, which is less than usual 8ft.
3) Inside height? Comparable units by other brands have 78"-80" inside.
4) How long is the flat section of the roof from AC to the sloped front wall (will need this for future solar panel)? Or where is the front end of AC relatively to the foot of the bed.
5) There is no vent over the bed, right?

Future plans include fulltiming - sort of. Seasonal stay for several months in some place warm if I live long enough for SS pension. It's just me, no dogs or concubines. This Salem is not big, but I plan on remodeling - replace one dinette bench with a dresser and other mods. When I read fulltimers reports at Open Road forum, nobody does this in trailers smaller than 26ft.
Am I totally crazy? It will be mostly off-grid, with fan but no AC. I think that smaller units can get hotter in summer, but they are also easier to heat on cold desert nights.

Any info is appreciated. Will eventually ask questions the dealer when it comes to it, but would like to do some homework before.
Alm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:39 PM   #2
Site Team

Since I was on the lot dropping off my trailer for service I was able to get some information for you on the Cruise Lite.

According to the salesman:
Width is 8 ft. (I believe my 2011 CL is 7.5 feet wide.)
Interior height 6'4" (or did he say 6'2"?)
A/C is located near the center - towards the end of the bed by your feet.
The 24' length is exterior box length not including bumper or A-frame.
Please verify this information.

Keep in mind that one of the booth benches is right next to a lower placement of a very small pantry. Unless you use one of the bed wardrobes as a pantry you will be pressed to find a spot for dry items. Also there is some maintance stuff placed inside the booth storage areas that might have an impact on your dresser design.

You really need to do some research on this model as it's more of an entry level unit. Don't get the wrong impression - I love my Cruise Lite & would buy it again if I could turn back time. However, living in it full time I would very pressed for space. Also I just remember about the outside storage bins - very small doors equals small items. My sewer hose slinky doesn't fit through the storeage bin door at all at any angle. BTW- the 22RBXL CL bathroom has a good amount of room to move around in.

Recommend making a list of what you want in a trailer including possible mods and taking it with you when you start shopping. Open up every cubby and see what can go where. Be sure to check out the booth & bed storage areas.

Please do keep us updated on your quest for the right unit.
Take care,
Terier

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:26 PM   #3
Alm

Thanks;
Yes, I forgot about wheel well that takes space in one of the benches. Not much space indeed. Outside storage doesn't seem important to me, don't even know what I would put in there, it's not as secure as inside the trailer. Heck, somebody might even break into that bin while I'm sleeping on top of it.

The location of AC I think I figured out from 2012 photos of units for sale. The center of AC is roughly over the middle of the front bench.

Yeah, I know it's small. It's almost too small just to sit and have a lunch in there. The decision will be made by the end of the year, when (if) I will see those nice prices around 9K-10K again when they will start clearing 2012 models. Right now it's over 12K, later in the fall there could be 26ft units for 12K. The closest dealer that has RBXL221 in stock is 400 miles away, would hate to travel that far just to have a look. For buying will have to go further yet, but that will be a vacation.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:20 AM   #4
Site Team

As for the outside storage I would guess that you would most likely end up using it, even if for stuff like off season clothes or misc. items.

Unless it has been charged the bed storage is part of the storage bin area but with access from inside the trailer. My pump is located inside one of the under booth storage area.

At the RV show last fall I saw my floorplan in several different companies units. It might be worth a try to check out other units while you wait for the price reduction. BTW - the low price in the fall was what drew me to my unit. It fit the budget while fitting my needs.

You had also mentioned the Wildwood. The floorplans that I looked at earlier seem to be very similar or even exact as the Cruise Lite models. Any chance that a Wildwood unit be close by to look at?

Old 07-08-2012, 05:17 PM   #5
Site Team

I'm looking at the booklet the salesman give me and it listed the interior height as 80". Now I'm not sure if this was printed for 2012 or 2013 models but I'm leaning towards 2012 based on deco colors.

Old 07-09-2012, 07:51 PM   #6
Alm

Well, good to know that they at least didn't skimp on ceiling height ...

Salem or Wildwood - they all have this 221RBXL floorplan. Last year this floorplan was called Salem 22RBXL, now it's "Cruise Lite 221RBXL" and Wildwood calls it "X-Lite 221RBXL". I've been told that these are different companies with one parent company named Forest River - doesn't matter for us buyers. I think "Terier" is right, it will be small for my intended use, i.e. as a mobile home.

Unfortunately I don't even see any 26-27ft budget model from Forest River. Something with no slides like their Grey Wolf 25RB. Discard the jackknife sofa in the middle and there will be more than enough room. Though I don't remember this model ever selling for less than 12K.