Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-22-2019, 10:31 PM   #1

Salem FSX Owners

Talk and tips about the lightweight FSX trailers!
Attached Images

Carolina_Oaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 09:17 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered. Check the search function at the upper right and see if some of the info you may be interested in is there.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 08:43 PM   #3

Azdel?

Taking delivery of a 2019 Salem FSX 179DBK Platinum tomorrow. The salesman told us this model is made with Azdel and explained the benefits of same to us (mainly, no delamination worries). We’re home doing more research and can’t find anything anywhere that implicitly states that Azdel is, in fact, used in the manufacturing of this model. Can anyone steer me in the direction of this information?
Savery01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 09:00 AM   #4

I've had my FSX 179dbk for almost a year and its been a good trailer. (Knocking on wood). Ours is not a Platinum so it has the corrugated skin, which I specifically looked for due to the de-laminating concerns. I do know salesman will tell you what you want to hear, especially rv salesman. I would possibly reach out to Forest River directly to ask the question. You can email them on their site and they typically respond right away. Good luck!
Modrodr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 08:25 PM   #5

https://www.azdelonboard.com
Iowa Frogfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 10:12 PM   #6

I actually have a 2020 wildwood fsx. I k ow it's not a Salem almost looks the same. We bought ours in October 2019. Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1572838570897.jpeg
Views:	378
Size:	135.0 KB
ID:	224943
Jasonldrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 12:26 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonldrummer View Post
I actually have a 2020 wildwood fsx. I k ow it's not a Salem almost looks the same. We bought ours in October 2019. Attachment 224943
Wildwood and Salem are twin brands, just like Rockwood and Flagstaff.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 08:30 PM   #8

2020 170ss
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	54FF594C-356E-41B0-B367-BDE04DE14572.jpeg
Views:	548
Size:	268.4 KB
ID:	227051  
Smithswamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 05:47 AM   #9

179dbk

We bought our 2020 salem 179dbk and have only gone on 2 trips with it. Before we had a 33' springdale behemoth. This has everything we need minus all the space the springdale had. That means the kids are outside The only issue is our dog a 1 yr old, hyper, 70lb golden. hopefully the restrictions are lefted in NH and we can go camping otherwise it will be the backyard.

We made our first mod by getting some black thick poster board, with the Styrofoam in the middle. Cut it out to fit the bunk windows then added some fabric and viola we have a easily store-able night shade.

Has anyone put or bought the backup camera on? curious if it's worth it?
casper9545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 01:00 PM   #10

Salem FSX 178BHSK

We are new to the forum, now retired and looking to travel some so are thinking of purchasing this trailer. We will be pulling it with a 2018 Toyota Highlander XLE that has a towing package. I think we are comfortable with the weights, but I have to say the things we read about the trailer itself are definitely off-putting. There is a considerable amount of complaints about shoddy workmanship on the internet and about the way the trailer handles when being pulled. I would love to hear the forums thought...yeah or nay. Are we crazy to try to pull with the Highlander? Is this really a poorly made trailer? With the plethora of travel trailers in the Forest River Family, could you offer suggestions of other lightweight trailers with a Murphy type bed arrangement that we might should look at? We are not new to trailer camping as we did quite a bit of it when our children were home. Now we are looking to travel with out pets and possibly our grands. Thank you for any information.
2Stilwells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 10:08 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Stilwells View Post
We are new to the forum, now retired and looking to travel some so are thinking of purchasing this trailer. We will be pulling it with a 2018 Toyota Highlander XLE that has a towing package. I think we are comfortable with the weights, but I have to say the things we read about the trailer itself are definitely off-putting. There is a considerable amount of complaints about shoddy workmanship on the internet and about the way the trailer handles when being pulled. I would love to hear the forums thought...yeah or nay. Are we crazy to try to pull with the Highlander? Is this really a poorly made trailer? With the plethora of travel trailers in the Forest River Family, could you offer suggestions of other lightweight trailers with a Murphy type bed arrangement that we might should look at? We are not new to trailer camping as we did quite a bit of it when our children were home. Now we are looking to travel with out pets and possibly our grands. Thank you for any information.
I had a 179dbk and while the finishes were entry level, I had no issues in the year I owned it. The only reason I traded it in was that it was too small. I didn't realize we would use it as much. We moved on to a 32' Grand Design. We pulled the Salem with a F150 so it pulled well without a WDH. I would be cautious with the tongue weight as it is a single axle trailer.
Modrodr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 09:36 AM   #12

I tow a 178BHS with a Ford Explorer w/ tow package. I haven't had any issues, even in the mountains. The trailer brakes and a good weight distribution hitch change everything. As for the craftsmanship, I'm ok with it. I looked at many other models before buying this one, and to be honest the "lightweight" trailers are all built roughly the same. You can definitely tell that these models are built "light." To some, that translates into "cheap." But if you want different framing and build methods or different materials, it's going to be heavier or much more expensive. There's just no way around it. I haven't had anything break on it or any major problems, and I've used it about 5 times so far (with even more use in the driveway, since my kids love to play house in it.)
Carolina_Oaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 08:47 AM   #13

Has anyone replaced the solid steps on their toy hauler with the “old school” manual pull out steps? The solid steps take up needed atv space when stowed. Had to take part of my atv foot well apart to get it to fit by undoing 8 bolts. I purchased some pull out steps that stow beneath the rv just need to have hangers fabricated. Curious as if anyone else had this issue and changed the steps. We have two adult quads we haul end to end in the toy hauler.
Squatchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 09:53 AM   #14

Wildwood FSX 178BHSK Checking in! Yeah, not the Salem branding, but same trailer, different sticker...

Only 10 nights/2 trim in with our trailer so far, and this is my first RV, so not an expert, and learning a lot every time I use it.

What I have found in my trailer that needed to be addressed - the cabinet door hinges are secured to the boxes with tiny 1/2" screws. This is fine for most doors, but for the under-dinette, those doors are huge, any we pulled those screws (door fell off) the first day camping. I replaced all dinette hinge screws with 1-1/2" drywall screws, problem solved. Next was the sink - the strainer was assembled wrong, so it leaked water into the cabinet below. Not hard to fix (take it apart and put it together right) but annoying. Last - after my last trip, (about 150 miles total on the trailer) I started seeing a LOT of the staples that hold stuff together backing out. I spend a few minutes adding 1" ring neck finish nails to a lot of the trailer where the staples were backing out, hopefully that will be a problem solved for now.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20200717_213858 (Small).jpg
Views:	6549
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	236781  
Jerry-Rigged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 10:42 AM   #15

Has anyone hooked up a solar panel to use when power is not available and to help maintain batteries when off the grid? I have a 2021 FSX 178BHS which has a Furrion solar charge connecter on the exterior sidewall in front of the entry door. There is no panel pre-installed on the roof, so I'm looking for what components I'd need to get off the grid power support.
Hjalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 08:45 PM   #16

LP tank ideas

Hello! I’m Rose and I’ve had my 2020 FSX 179DBK since the beginning of February. After taking her on several trips, there are a couple of mods I’d like to do.

The first is adding a larger tray for two LP tanks instead of the single already there. Has anyone done such a mod? Is it relatively easy?

And a econd, what about the possibility of adding an additional battery? We often stay at Harvest Hosts locations which are 99% boondocking. I’d rather not have to worry about propane or the battery.

Any thoughts?

Thank you!
Rose
RoseyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 09:51 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hjalmer View Post
Has anyone hooked up a solar panel to use when power is not available and to help maintain batteries when off the grid? I have a 2021 FSX 178BHS which has a Furrion solar charge connecter on the exterior sidewall in front of the entry door. There is no panel pre-installed on the roof, so I'm looking for what components I'd need to get off the grid power support.

I hate that this thread died off. I'm a new Salem FSX owner and I'd like to know the same thing about the Furrion solar plug. I did find some info on the RV Project website and Youtube videos. My question is has anyone used this plug? I don't see where it it actually hooked up on my trailer.
Darron227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 08:58 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darron227 View Post
I hate that this thread died off. I'm a new Salem FSX owner and I'd like to know the same thing about the Furrion solar plug. I did find some info on the RV Project website and Youtube videos. My question is has anyone used this plug? I don't see where it it actually hooked up on my trailer.
I have inspected my trailer for other wiring, but have not looked at that corner yet. I am installing my new cabinet door there this weekend so should be able to trace it out.
Old 04-23-2021, 10:06 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrdLtly View Post
I have inspected my trailer for other wiring, but have not looked at that corner yet. I am installing my new cabinet door there this weekend so should be able to trace it out.
Great! New door? I’m REALLY interested in that! Don’t understand why they didn’t put doors on both sides?? gonna need to see details on that project!
Darron227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 06:50 AM   #20

Fsx 197bh

This is my 3rd summer with this unit. Originally pulled with Jeep JK and @2750 it could do it but was always leaving things home. Upgraded to F150. What a dream. It is lightweight so many lowers end materials. That said I upgraded mattress, created more storage under the bunk and take what I need. My favorite feature is that I have more countertop space that any big trailer of motor home I’ve been in (save the 500K one my buddy has). No issue with mechanicals except I lost an awning head over, they never secured with screws. Couple things I don’t like: only one speed setting on AC unit, plastic anchors for the dinette (I need to upgrade, one is broken) I had to add support to shelf Obote queen bed, had to add medicine cabinet in bathroom.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	F0B9C303-4912-49C1-87D8-12741210224D.jpg
Views:	5931
Size:	713.3 KB
ID:	252732  
cfb1141942 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
salem