Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2018, 08:57 PM   #1

Salem Lite travel trailer owners unite!!

Just bought a 2018 201 BHXL model. Down sized from a 24 footer. Totally stoked, our dream camper . Any Salem owners want to chime in, tell us about experiances, memories, any topics really. Can't wait to get her home. thanks in advance for your time. Richard & Vickie
Richard Mc Parlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 03:44 PM   #2

We have had our 201BHXL for about a year, Love it, with the Murphy Bed it feels like a ~25ft. The mattress is horrible like any other trailer, I haven't figured out how thick of a topper that you can put with the Murphy bed while still being able to fold up. My best advice it to watch your sharp turns, with a 1/2 ton Chevy it is close to hitting the corner of the bed, probably would if you get close to jack-knifing. Just wish the tongue had 6" more. Only problem I had was the wire to the awning motor got pinched in the arm and popped the fuses.
BayouCamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 04:08 PM   #3

I have the same in camper but a 2016, and I'm actually looking for something bigger. We liked the murphy at first, but then it gets kind of annoying setting it up and down after a few days, the bed itself stays cold when folded up if the temp is down outside. The holding tanks are on the small size, and fill up after about 4 days of our families usage. I haven't any real issues with it, and it is super maneuverable. It is a super nice trailer for mild temp camping, and we have used ours a ton, but now that we are a family of 4 I'm probably going to get something bigger with a slide.
chukar14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 11:19 PM   #4

Picking up my new 2018 201BHXL on Monday. We are really excited to get out with it.
Bikemobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 12:00 AM   #5

I have a 24RKHL BY forest river- Salem hyperlite- we love it [ATTACH]165151.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6540.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	404.2 KB
ID:	165151  
Carl Patterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 12:39 PM   #6

We picked up ours last Saturday and we are still going through it. No info on the weight the tv back plate would hold. Nothing on the electric jacks, though I found some in the owners app for the phone, nice little app and convenient.
The solar panel is roughly $500 but I need to look for a cheaper one as we do not really boondock but may. That's an option we wanted.
We got the package with the elec. jack, elec. awning, and stabilizers. Double door fridge/freezer, stove/oven, glass doors, a sink in the bathroom , I was surprised to see how many trailers do not have a sink in the bathroom. We have the LED Lights under the trailer and canopy. Other things also but we plan to hold onto this for many years.
We looked at over one hundred TT's and this had everything we wanted.
Going on a trip next week and can hardly wait. We love so far as we keep discovering new things and playing around with them. Feel like a kid on Christmas morning.
tyler811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 05:23 PM   #7

Question awning

Hi all,
I have a 2016 337 BAR. Has a Lipert awning.
Now not like aCarefree awning this has no real way to tie it down.
any suggestions?
and I enjoy the 5th wheel a lot.

337 BAR
2016 2500 Ram
Stevekbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 07:46 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevekbk View Post
Hi all,
I have a 2016 337 BAR. Has a Lipert awning.
Now not like aCarefree awning this has no real way to tie it down.
any suggestions?
and I enjoy the 5th wheel a lot.

337 BAR
2016 2500 Ram
What I was thinking of doing on my Cruise Lite was making poles with PVC pipe(Like others on the site) but at the top end I was going to flatten and make a fork by heating it to fit between the awning roller and the arm. Just use tie-straps to anchor it, Walmart has auger tent anchors, I use them for a popup canopy and they hold good.
BayouCamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 07:49 AM   #9

Thinking.
Thanx.��
Stevekbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 11:23 AM   #10

We have a 3 day trip booked at rifle falls state park at the end of april. Dinosaur NP in June! Can’t wait!
Old 04-30-2018, 09:22 PM   #11

We have the same camper. We bought a Renogy 100w briefcase solar panel for about $200 off of Amazon. I purchased a cnlinko2 plug and soldered in onto the cable that came with the unit. Also bought 10 gauge extension cords. Tried it out for the first time last weekend, and it worked great. Kept our battery strong using the furnace fan, water pump, stereo and lights.
MoCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 09:39 PM   #12

We are really happy with ours, but found a few bugs and made the following changes.
* stereo zones were hooked up with one speaker inside and one speaker outside for each zone. required some soldering to fix.
* City water line was kinked. replaced with a new section from home depot.
* replaced battery with 2 6volt golf batteries.
* dealer only partially filled propane tanks, you might want to check.
* added a DC panel inside to power tv & dv player, with USB charging points and battery volt indicator. hooked into the stereo power.
* added a backup/observation camera
* added a battery disconnect switch
* we had a 4" queen memory foam topper from our pop-up so instead of buying a new mattress I unzipped the lining from the included mattress, removed the two outer 2" layers of foam leaving only the center 4" section, then added the 4" memory foam on top, then zipped back up. Much more comfortable and doesn't obstruct the murphy bed because its the same size. It wouldn't close before trying to remove the 2 outer pieces.
* Replaced tires with Goodyear endurance tires. The Castle Rock tires had a concave shape and made me nervous. Getting about 1 mpg better with the new tires, or maybe I'm just driving slower after researching tires...
* Installed the Tire Minder solar powered TPMS system.
* Put a pizza stone above the burners in the oven, it has reduced burning of biscuits and cookies by reducing hot spots.
* added a towel rack in the bathroom.
* refrigerator plug not hooked up from the factory, took a little trouble shooting.
* added a cross-bar on the screen door - the best $9 bucks spent.
* added key/flashlight/hat/dog leash hooks inside the door.
* bought the Honda eu3000is generator, quiet but not as quiet as solar - great as long as you don't need AC or microwave.

We absolutely love it. We took it to the Smoky Mountains for Thanksgiving last year and had a couple with a huge fancy 5th asking us about it because they wanted something that would be easier to manage. We had pop ups before and find this so much more enjoyable.
Old 05-06-2018, 11:19 PM   #13

Just purchased a 2018 T263BHXL, picking it up from the dealer in a week. Anything you guys recommend I look at before signing off on the delivery paperwork?

Thank you for your input. Looking forward to trying out the new rig. big improvement from our 1994 Aljo
nick1236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 12:48 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoCamping View Post
We are really happy with ours, but found a few bugs and made the following changes.
* stereo zones were hooked up with one speaker inside and one speaker outside for each zone. required some soldering to fix.
* added a DC panel inside to power tv & dv player, with USB charging points and battery volt indicator. hooked into the stereo power.
* we had a 4" queen memory foam topper from our pop-up so instead of buying a new mattress I unzipped the lining from the included mattress, removed the two outer 2" layers of foam leaving only the center 4" section, then added the 4" memory foam on top, then zipped back up. Much more comfortable and doesn't obstruct the murphy bed because its the same size. It wouldn't close before trying to remove the 2 outer pieces.
* Replaced tires with Goodyear endurance tires. The Castle Rock tires had a concave shape and made me nervous. Getting about 1 mpg better with the new tires, or maybe I'm just driving slower after researching tires...
* Put a pizza stone above the burners in the oven, it has reduced burning of biscuits and cookies by reducing hot spots.
* refrigerator plug not hooked up from the factory, took a little trouble shooting.
* bought the Honda eu3000is generator, quiet but not as quiet as solar - great as long as you don't need AC or microwave.

We absolutely love it. We took it to the Smoky Mountains for Thanksgiving last year and had a couple with a huge fancy 5th asking us about it because they wanted something that would be easier to manage. We had pop ups before and find this so much more enjoyable.

Interested in the crossbar execution. Pics? Source?
Old 05-10-2018, 05:24 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoCamping View Post

That pizza stone? Did you set it right on the steel burner cover in the oven?
I too noticed the first time we used ours and made cinnamon rolls, they burned on the bottom.
1995 GMC Yukon Sport
1986 Jayco1016PUP
Days Camped:'13-10 '14-20 '15-6 '16-9 '17-14 '18-3 '19-12 '20-14 '21-12
XenoRev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 10:50 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenoRev View Post
That pizza stone? Did you set it right on the steel burner cover in the oven?
I too noticed the first time we used ours and made cinnamon rolls, they burned on the bottom.
Yes, I put it on the steel cover above the burner, or the bottom of the cooking area. We heard a pop the last time we used it and found that it cracked. No big deal, it wont effect the intended purchase.
Old 05-10-2018, 10:56 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikemobile View Post
Interested in the crossbar execution. Pics? Source?
Google Camco screen door crossbar and you will see it. So worth it! requires drilling holes in the screen door and screwing it in, not a big deal just follow the directions.
Old 05-11-2018, 05:25 AM   #18

Thx. Gonna try that. I don't like blackened cinnamon rolls.
1995 GMC Yukon Sport
1986 Jayco1016PUP
Days Camped:'13-10 '14-20 '15-6 '16-9 '17-14 '18-3 '19-12 '20-14 '21-12
XenoRev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 10:53 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouCamper1 View Post
We have had our 201BHXL for about a year, Love it, with the Murphy Bed it feels like a ~25ft. The mattress is horrible like any other trailer, I haven't figured out how thick of a topper that you can put with the Murphy bed while still being able to fold up. My best advice it to watch your sharp turns, with a 1/2 ton Chevy it is close to hitting the corner of the bed, probably would if you get close to jack-knifing. Just wish the tongue had 6" more. Only problem I had was the wire to the awning motor got pinched in the arm and popped the fuses.
I am new to the forum and just spotted this older post of yours. We bought a new 233RBXL also with a darn uncomfortable murphy bed. I added a 2" memory foam topper, an older thick cotton quilt (full size) on top of the foam then a zip up enclosure. It added about 2-1/2" and the bed closes fine plus it's now comfortable.

One big issue was the opening under the sofa/bed right into the pass thru compartment. Every-time I opened the pass thru I let in flying bugs. I had to make and install a panel under the sofa.
2016 Silverado LT with Tow Option
2step3313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 11:59 AM   #20

Ours is a 2014 232IS, 26' w/2 slideouts....great "couples" camper. Separate BR, short queen, but I added an extension and put in a 'full' queen mattress from IKEA. HUGE difference! Storage under the bed but hard to access, so I cut and made a door in the base so that we can get to things without raising the bed up. Numerous other little mods,
corner shelf in the bathroom, made a drop table attached to the island instead of using
the fold up stand alone table that it came with...another HUGE difference! It seems like every time we take it out we can discover something to add or change to make it a little more functional.

Tags
lite, salem, trailer, travel, travel trailer