Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2020, 11:56 AM   #1

Shower pan standing water

I have a 2020 Forest river fden. I’m wondering if there are other people out there having the same problem I am. After taking a shower the shower pan has about a inch of standing water around the sides of the shower pan. Anybody else having this problem.
Brian Nuernberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 12:03 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Nuernberg View Post
I have a 2020 Forest river fden. I’m wondering if there are other people out there having the same problem I am. After taking a shower the shower pan has about a inch of standing water around the sides of the shower pan. Anybody else having this problem.
We have a 2020 Flagstaff 21DS with a corner shower, and while we don't have an inch of standing water, the drain is definitely the high spot in the pan - so we tend to have 1/4" or so around the edges. Kind of annoying for us, but an inch is a *lot* and I would be taking it back for repair/replacement if we had that much.

2003 F150 Supercab 4x4, tow pkg, 3.55 gears
2020 Flagstaff Micro Lite 21DS
Qwkynuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 12:12 PM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf View Post
We have a 2020 Flagstaff 21DS with a corner shower, and while we don't have an inch of standing water, the drain is definitely the high spot in the pan - so we tend to have 1/4" or so around the edges. Kind of annoying for us, but an inch is a *lot* and I would be taking it back for repair/replacement if we had that much.
I agree.

I would say ours has "some" water remaining after a shower but not an inch.

If the drain is pushed up that high that an inch of water remains, then maybe the floor of the shower pan isn't supported correctly.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 12:22 PM   #4

Quote:
Here’s the funny part. We called the dealer. They came out and looked at it and said there’s nothing they can do about it. That’s just the way they are built. So I’m trying to contact Forest river to see what they have to say. Will keep you posted.
Old 03-25-2020, 01:03 PM   #5

A frustrating problem

Quote:
That's a frustrating problem. Are you able to distinguish whether the problem is caused by the drain pipe being set too high or by a bad molding job on the shower pan?

In the meantime, one of these might be helpful:
https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-...arden/85971011

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Cleaning...vZcb4pZ1z0pnxm (I never realized there were so many to choose from)

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/sto...-door-squeegee
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 01:26 PM   #6

sponge

you can try a kayaker's bailing sponge
cyclenate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 01:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Here’s the funny part. We called the dealer. They came out and looked at it and said there’s nothing they can do about it. That’s just the way they are built. So I’m trying to contact Forest river to see what they have to say. Will keep you posted.

Don't listen to that standard line of garbage. I cannot believe the crap that falls out of dealers mouths. Tell them it might be the way they are built but it is wrong. For God sake they get paid for warranty repairs.
Do as you said and contact Forest River.
campers302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 02:10 PM   #8

The bottom of the shower pan is very thin and flexible. The drain is actually screwed onto the pan from the bottom. Then the PVC drain pipe and its P Trap attaches to that shower drain.

It all flows downhill to the top of the holding tank.

If that pipe is a bit long it will elevate the drain, n this case making it higher than the sides of the pan (where the water is collecting).

What needs to happen is that drain pipe needs to be shorter, allowing the center of the pan to drop below the level of the sides.

If you are not handy, go look at other campers of the same make/model and see if they suffer from the same problem. If so, the fix could b a PITA because you would have to actually elevate the sides of the pan to create the downflow.

If you have a 5er, and like ours the shower is in the elevated front portion it would be an easy thing to cut and shorten that pipe once you got access to it.
Old 03-25-2020, 03:48 PM   #9

We had same problem in our cedar creek, what it was, we don’t have A P-trap we have a hepvo waterless valve. I used a plunger to push the water through it. Here is a link.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NLMPLDU..._Ml8EEb9QGZT3V
DwaneHalstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 04:41 PM   #10

Shower pan standing water

Thanks for all the help. I no what I’m going to do but I’m going to wait to see what Forest River is going to come up with.
Old 03-25-2020, 04:49 PM   #11

I’m going to take the front plate off and see what’s under there. Thanks again
Old 03-25-2020, 05:01 PM   #12

I think your issue is universal. We have a fver that collects a little water on the out side edges of the base pan but We do not have an inch of standing water. We take our squeegee which we use to wipe down walls and doors and squeegee the base and get rid of most of the water that way.. Good luck
kholmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 05:27 PM   #13

Brian if that is a Flagstaff then contact that division, not Forest River corporate. They have a hundred or so divisions.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 06:09 PM   #14

Shower pan

The water is in the pan and it accumulates to the sides. So I think the drain is to high.

It’s a Salem by Forest River FDEN
Old 03-25-2020, 06:33 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
The water is in the pan and it accumulates to the sides. So I think the drain is to high.

It’s a Salem by Forest River FDEN
Should be a number in front of FDEN.
Is it a Salem 40FDEN?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 06:48 PM   #16

Yes
Old 03-25-2020, 10:16 PM   #17

I had a similar issue with my newly purchased Mini Lite. As mentioned previously, the shower pan is very flexible. When you get around to removing the inspection plate, you may see what I saw, and that is one short slice of a 2x6, mounted end-up in the center of my pan, kept in place by friction. Since my drain is located in a corner, I had lots if side water. When I removed the piece of lumber, the water drained well but the pan would sink way to much under body weight for our comfort-it felt and sounded like the pan was going to collapse in the middle. Warranty repairs are a last ditch option to me.
The fix was tedious due to the clutter under there (pipes and wires) and the small opening of the access cut-out. I was able to install 3 pieces of 2x4 on 3 sides, then two 2x6 (slightly shorter) in the center. I glued the floor end and put a laundry basket with weight in the pan until dried. Now the pan doesn't dip hardly at all when my retired mass steps in there; there's no side puddles, and it drains pretty well.
In summary, just HAVING a shower (quirks & all) is the only reason why my gal enjoys our rolling cabin!
metalsideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 08:25 AM   #18

Installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalsideup View Post
I had a similar issue with my newly purchased Mini Lite. As mentioned previously, the shower pan is very flexible. When you get around to removing the inspection plate, you may see what I saw, and that is one short slice of a 2x6, mounted end-up in the center of my pan, kept in place by friction. Since my drain is located in a corner, I had lots if side water. When I removed the piece of lumber, the water drained well but the pan would sink way to much under body weight for our comfort-it felt and sounded like the pan was going to collapse in the middle. Warranty repairs are a last ditch option to me.
The fix was tedious due to the clutter under there (pipes and wires) and the small opening of the access cut-out. I was able to install 3 pieces of 2x4 on 3 sides, then two 2x6 (slightly shorter) in the center. I glued the floor end and put a laundry basket with weight in the pan until dried. Now the pan doesn't dip hardly at all when my retired mass steps in there; there's no side puddles, and it drains pretty well.
In summary, just HAVING a shower (quirks & all) is the only reason why my gal enjoys our rolling cabin!
When plumbers install a tub or shower in a residence, a quality job includes embedding the tub/shower in a sand-mix concrete bed. It seems that they mix the concrete, spread it, and then place the tub/shower into it.

This might be a bit heavy for an RV, but maybe you could fill the void under the shower with expanding foam or somesuch. That seems a lot more reliable than a few blocks here and there which could lead to stress cracks in the pan. Plastics do have a tendency to become more brittle over time.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 09:21 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
When plumbers install a tub or shower in a residence, a quality job includes embedding the tub/shower in a sand-mix concrete bed. It seems that they mix the concrete, spread it, and then place the tub/shower into it.

This might be a bit heavy for an RV, but maybe you could fill the void under the shower with expanding foam or somesuch. That seems a lot more reliable than a few blocks here and there which could lead to stress cracks in the pan. Plastics do have a tendency to become more brittle over time.
If you are gong to use foam (not a bad idea) use the Door & Window foam. It does not apply pressure which would bow the pan upwards and cause a hump you could NEVER get out.

Also, be sure to put some books or other heavy things inside the pan in the center to keep it as low as possible.
Old 04-01-2020, 10:41 AM   #20
Site Team

Maybe take a picture of the standing water to show FR. I have a little water standing in one corner but floor seems rather level for me. Hope you get this resolved.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
show, shower, water