Old 02-15-2020, 09:48 PM   #1

Slide covers?

Ok we went for the walkthrough on our grand villa 42FLDL and it is prepped for slide covers. We are a seasonal non moving camper and usually open the slides at season opening and close at season close. We back up to the woods but not a lot of trees next to or in front of our site.

I would like to know the thoughts and opinions on having slide out covers. There are 3 slide outs.
Please send feedback??

Destination-nation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 09:57 PM   #2

We don't have slides, but from what I've read, slide covers are a good idea.
They help keep the sun and rain off your slide.

Our friends have them and occasionally, they have to clean debris that the wind has blown in under the cover. I'm sure the debris would be a lot more if it weren't for the cover.

Old 02-15-2020, 11:42 PM   #3
Kasual Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destination-nation View Post
I would like to know the thoughts and opinions on having slide out covers. There are 3 slide outs.
Please send feedback??

As a relative newbie, I'd suggest that you do a forum search on this topic, as it has been extensively discussed here. You'll find many comments both pro and con.
JayArras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 11:48 PM   #4

Our only complaint with our slide topper is when the wind blows hard we have to bring the slide in (then have no place to sleep) because it sounds and feels like itís going to blow off!!!

But worse than that, is weíve had it come in raveled twice while driving in high winds. The first time it ripped before we noticed it and after we had it replaced, we were in a terrible windstorm and it began to UN ravel and flop all over. We pulled over and it retracted once we stopped and then then I red necked it with duct tape and we were able to continue to our next stop.

I wish there was some device we could buy to keep the topper from UN raveling while traveling down the road.

Itís an expensive problem to have happen!!!
Old 02-15-2020, 11:59 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Hello,

We had a Seasonal 3 season Trailer not unlike yours. If tree cover is minimal I would say No.
If there are one needles or small leaves definite yes. If Not be prepared to get up on the and wash it prior to end of season and sweep when retracting. The Toppers will protect the seals better than not having them. Your choice.

On my 4 trailers we had toppers on 3 of the 4. One fifth wheel we did not but got them again.

All the best, have fun with your new salem.
B and B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 06:03 AM   #6
"On the road again"

Send a message via AIM to rjshiflet
We are on our second fifth wheel with slide covers, and I'll never be without them.

Try to sleep through a heavy rain when the rain is hitting directly on the metal roof of your slide-out, just over your head. With the covers, it is muted and probably only 20% as loud as when the rain is hitting directly on your slide.

It's personal preference for me - as it is for everyone, but we are very happy with ours.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Cardinal 3456RLX - '17 Ford F350 Lariat Ultimate - DRW w/B&W OEM Companion hitch
Nights Camping 2012 - 2019: 955 ~ Nights Camping 2020: 5 (Slowed a bit due to wife's knee replacement and then COVID-19)
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 06:31 AM   #7

I am having a new destination series Cherokee delivered soon. It will be set up on our seasonal site. I have found hard slide out awnings that last longer than the roll up type. Silvertop is the only brand I can find but they lool like a nice product. They also stop debris from laying on top of the slide.
Papa Roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 12:28 PM   #8
Kasual Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBogey View Post
Our only complaint with our slide topper is when the wind blows hard we have to bring the slide in (then have no place to sleep) because it sounds and feels like itís going to blow off!!!

But worse than that, is weíve had it come in raveled twice while driving in high winds. The first time it ripped before we noticed it and after we had it replaced, we were in a terrible windstorm and it began to UN ravel and flop all over. We pulled over and it retracted once we stopped and then then I red necked it with duct tape and we were able to continue to our next stop.

I wish there was some device we could buy to keep the topper from UN raveling while traveling down the road.

I have NEVER heard of that happening from anyone else! It almost sounds like the topper wasn't installed correctly. That said, I believe Dometic makes one that has a cover when it closes.
JayArras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 12:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destination-nation View Post
We are a seasonal non moving camper and usually open the slides at season opening and close at season close.
A lot of the suggestions relate to the benefits of slide toppers in general, which I agree with. But "slide toppers" as you're referring to them are a perfect solution for constant moving/setting up/sliders in and out, which you're not really doing.
In your case, if you're opening your slides in the spring and closing them in the fall, I would think there are a number of better solutions. One that comes to mind is some foam insulation panels cut to fit and attached to the top of your slide (double-sided Velcro??), with a slight tilt to make sure rainwater runs off and a weather resistant coating on the exposed side. Put them on in spring, take them off in the fall. No flapping in the wind, no canvas/vinyl deterioration, no nasty collection of leaves and dirt under the slide topper sitting on top of the slide out, etc. . . .
Seems that would be a cheaper and, frankly, more effective solution, but I'm sure some "seasonal" campers will have some thoughts/suggestions.
Old 02-16-2020, 12:43 PM   #10

Quote:

Yup, they're called topper covers. They prevent the topper from unraveling when the wind force exceeds the rolling tension of the topper (pretty rare when the toppers are set to the proper tension, but definitely can happen, particularly when driving in strong crosswinds . . .)
Old 02-16-2020, 12:58 PM   #11

We had one fifth wheel with three slide toppers. Absolutely hated them and will never have them again. They made lots of noise in the wind, no matter who adjusted them. That's why you see all kinds of solutions to this; balls, straps, noodles, even saw someone using blankets to keep them from popping in the wind. And around here, it blows most of the time.
In the SW sun, awnings only last about 5 years, so now instead of replacing one, we got to replace 4.
During storms, we had just as much or more debris blow under the toppers. Then it's more of a pita to clear because the topper is in the way.
Without toppers we are much happier. Less aggrevation and maintenance. I rarely have to clean anything of the slides when we bring them in, and we camp in wooded areas most of the time. And we use our RV a lot.
A lot of folks love them, so I'm not sure why our experience with toppers seems to be so different.
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 01:20 PM   #12

Sorry, NOT trying to hijack the original thread, but figure it's still about slide toppers = yes or no.

HTML Code:
Yup, they're called topper covers. They prevent the topper from unraveling when the wind force exceeds the rolling tension of the topper (pretty rare when the toppers are set to the proper tension, but definitely can happen, particularly when driving in strong crosswinds . . .) :eek:
The ONLY dealer in our area said there was nothing out there like this above. We would be willing to drive a few hundred miles to get this item, so I guess we better start branching out and checking with other dealers.

Thank you.
Old 02-16-2020, 01:48 PM   #13

I've never had a problem with our slide toppers and have them on all three slides. If it has been raining a lot and we are moving sites, I bring the slides in a bit over halfway and let all the water run off. Only takes about 10-15 seconds. I would not want the trouble of getting on the roof to sweep debris off my slides every time I bring them in and I've never had to sweep off a topper, it just falls off as I bring the slide in. If my camper didn't already come with slide toppers, it would be the first option to go on before it left the dealer.

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
SlowrideHD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 10:46 AM   #14

Quote:
Sorry, NOT trying to hijack the original thread, but figure it's still about slide toppers = yes or no.

HTML Code:
Yup, they're called topper covers. They prevent the topper from unraveling when the wind force exceeds the rolling tension of the topper (pretty rare when the toppers are set to the proper tension, but definitely can happen, particularly when driving in strong crosswinds . . .) :eek:
The ONLY dealer in our area said there was nothing out there like this above. We would be willing to drive a few hundred miles to get this item, so I guess we better start branching out and checking with other dealers.

Thank you.
Sorry, I missed this when you posted it.
Perhaps I should have been more precise - I have the Carefree of Colorado SOKIII slide out "toppers" (i.e., the black vinyl cover that extends from the coach over the extended slide out - just so we're talking about the same thing). When I bought my coach, the rolled up "toppers" were exposed. I had the same concern you did with billowing "toppers" at 65 MPH down the highway!
I contacted Carefree and ordered a cover for each of the four toppers on my coach (I think Carefree calls them "front cover assembly") by giving them either my coach serial number or the serial number on the actual toppers. Pretty sure they pulled up my info just by my serial number of my coach as they are the supplier of the four slide toppers, so they knew exactly what length cover I needed. They are super simple to install (the SOKIIIs are pre-drilled for the bolts - four bolts per topper and you're good to go!)
You may have a different topper, so maybe that's where the disconnect with your dealer is, but I can't imagine that other manufacturers don't have something similar . . .
Old 02-21-2020, 12:53 AM   #15

Thanks, we will look into that!!
Old 02-21-2020, 12:36 PM   #16
Site Team

We've been seasonal for many years and have never had slide covers on any of our trailers. Never felt the need for them either. One less thing to worry about replacing IMO.

We are like you, slides go out in April and come in the middle of October. It's easy enough to check for debris before bringing them in that one time a year.

Just be sure to check the tops along with your roof periodically throughout the year and use some sort of treatment on your rubber seals and you'll be fine.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 01:35 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
We are like you, slides go out in April and come in the middle of October. It's easy enough to check for debris before bringing them in that one time a year.
I thought this same thing at first (just thoroughly clean them before pulling them in), and then I saw the post about the noise of rain beating down on the top of the slide. Not sure on other people's RVs, but my guess is the top of the slide is a little (lot?) less insulated that the actual roof, so that comment made sense.
Also, we have a dog that is super sensitive to the sound of rain (and I mean SUPER sensitive ), so maybe I would be more aware of that particular issue . . .
Old 02-21-2020, 08:24 PM   #18

We don't have toppers on our 3 slides either. Wind flap is the main reason. I like the idea of rigid foam on top of the slides. May do that this year.

2017 Salem Hemisphere 326RL
2009 Chevy Silveraldo 2500
meandmylabs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, slide