Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2017, 11:43 AM   #21

I remember going tent camping with my family early to mid 60's at Lake Hartwell, SC.
Don't remember seeing campers but do remember no power, only water spigot. When in High School 70' 71, going with friends I remember still no power and of course no reservations and you left I think it was $2 maybe $3 in a little box on the site marker and the ranger would come and collect. Also remember my 1st trip to Myrtle Beach (without parents) I was 16 and 1st night there we slept in lounge chairs at the pools of the hotels (sorta like camping) until a guard would run us off and we would move on to the next hotel. AHHH Those were the Days

It's a nice night for an evening
woodpile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 12:51 PM   #22

Oh man.... yes I feel the same way about Galveston TX! When we were kids and camped there it was the best! We started tent camping, then my parents got a pop up camper and it was awesome! Then I went there many years later and the beach was not pretty, wasn't as "big" as it was back then! And I was so heartbroken! I do enjoy Lake Hartwell, we live about an hr away! So it's our go to place when we need to get away! I do miss camping on the beach like we did way back then, but it's ok in the end! Edisto SC is my absolute favorite place to go! [emoji227][emoji217][emoji224][emoji226]I love watching dolphins, and turtles! Shell island is great! I just love everything about Edisto! If you haven't been, go! It's very chill and laid back! Nothing like Myrtle Beach! BUT Beach campground isn't open yet (hurricane damage is still under repair) It will be by end of November I believe!!
Deetellez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 03:48 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deetellez View Post
Oh man.... yes I feel the same way about Galveston TX! When we were kids and camped there it was the best! We started tent camping, then my parents got a pop up camper and it was awesome! Then I went there many years later and the beach was not pretty, wasn't as "big" as it was back then! And I was so heartbroken! I do enjoy Lake Hartwell, we live about an hr away! So it's our go to place when we need to get away! I do miss camping on the beach like we did way back then, but it's ok in the end! Edisto SC is my absolute favorite place to go! [emoji227][emoji217][emoji224][emoji226]I love watching dolphins, and turtles! Shell island is great! I just love everything about Edisto! If you haven't been, go! It's very chill and laid back! Nothing like Myrtle Beach! BUT Beach campground isn't open yet (hurricane damage is still under repair) It will be by end of November I believe!!
Yeah, Hartwell Corp parks are great. Camped at Edisto 4 times and really enjoy. Hunting Island in Beaufort is our Fav but practically destroyed by Andrew. Got a week booked there in December will see then for myself. Never camped at Myrtle not sure We want to. Oh yeah got a week booked for Edisto next year not sure when Wife takes care of all that

It's a nice night for an evening
woodpile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 03:20 PM   #24

Started around 10 yrs old camping with 4-H in Watkins Glen, NY. Mostly cabins but at least 1 night all the kids took sleeping bags out into the woods ... how did the advisors ever keep tabs on all of us?

After that our family got a 2 'room' tent ...it was HUGE (& a bugger to set up even with kids in tow). Always remember those campground rec rooms with pinball & jukebox music to waste our money in. The tent was such a success that when a neighbor sold their old pop up my dad bought it & had it sandblasted, ordered an entirely new canvas that he drove from NY to IN to get it put on and that thing had 3 huge beds & a dinette that went down to a bed.

My favorite memory ... no bathrooms in tent or pop up so my brother & I had the perfect excuse when we got caught sneaking back in after being out all night with the other CG kids ...."I had to go to the bathroom" ... how did we always get away with that one?

Terri & Joe + Boont & Tasha
Camping a long weekend every month or so since May 2013 in our cute 21FBRS MicroLite to practice for retirement while living here in Florida
Joe is retired.... next camper ordered.... getting ready to change this signature really soon!
Life Without Whine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 04:14 PM   #25

I remember the areas with the juke box and pinball machines. Great memories. Didn't see that place anymore when my wife and went on our trip. ☹️
Kevhel1 is offline   Reply With Quote