Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2022, 10:18 PM   #1

Lightbulb Speakers in `22 Cruise Lite 178BHSK

Hey all, new to the forum and I just picked up my new TT this past weekend. One thing I wasn't impressed with was the quality of the interior and exterior speakers that are hooked up to stereo. Has anyone replaced these with something better that they recommend?

I've done car stereo installs and am pretty handy, but the RV is in storage until next weekend and I'd like to pick up some better interior speakers at least before my next trip.
Digisaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 10:23 PM   #2

yeah - they do lack in the sound quality department for sure. I have been using portable speakers with a tablet for sirius and pandora apps. I plan to replace my interior speakers too. The procrastinator in me will wait to hear how you do - lol. Keep us posted please.
Haul Master WD Hitch
Champion 2400 Dual Fuel Generator/Inverter
CJS56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 11:55 PM   #3

To get better quality speakers to fit you'll need to install a speaker stand off ring to give you more depth for mounting.

https://a.co/d/38MOxbv

Paid them white or what ever color you need.
nvs4602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 12:32 PM   #4

I know that for the exterior speakers I probably need a standoff to give it some depth (This YouTube video shows someone doing that ) but I thought maybe there'd be enough depth in the ceiling mounted ones for a direct swap.
Old 08-29-2022, 03:17 AM   #5

So I was able to get in today and remove one of the ceiling speakers, snap a photo and take some measurements. The speakers themselves are 5" in diameter with a non-removable white grill with mounting holes which has an outside diameter of 6"

I looked them up and found the specs here:
https://magnadyne.com/magnadyne-as50...mline-speaker/

The hole in the ceiling is 4.75" in diameter and above it is some white insulation, but it feels like there's at least 3-4 inches of room in there and it could handle a speaker with a deeper stem.

It does seem like the most obvious direct replacement for these would be another set of "marine" speakers meant for boats/rvs with a little more oomph, but I'm going to look for the specs of my OEM stereo to see if it's even capable of more.
Old 08-29-2022, 09:04 AM   #6

Excellent. Please let me know what you end up with as I will most likely do the same. I will make sure you get all the credit thought - lol
Haul Master WD Hitch
Champion 2400 Dual Fuel Generator/Inverter
CJS56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 11:37 PM   #7

So I picked up a pair of Pyle 5.25" speakers from Amazon and tried to install them today, but they didn't fit.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The screw holes lined up, but the stem of the replacement speakers were either slightly wider than 4.75" or the OEM drilled holes are just slightly smaller because I couldn't push them in to make it flush with the ceiling so I could screw them in. I suppose I could take a dremel or a hole saw and make the opening slightly larger, but before I do that I'm going see if I can find a different set of speakers with the right dimensions
Old 09-26-2022, 05:56 PM   #8

I recently replaced the crappy outdoor speakers on my trailer with marine grade Rockford Fosgate speakers.

My trailer did not have a large hole cut into the outside wall for the speakers to set into. They were surface mounted with only a small hole for the wiring.

The new speakers are 6 1/2" speakers while the factory crap cans were only 3 1/2". I ordered 6 1/2" surface mount housings from Amazon.

Only problem with upgrading to better speakers is the factory stereo only outputs 15 watts per channel (in my trailer) which is not enough to drive the larger speakers sufficiently. An Amplifier is necessary in this case and this complicates things a bit because RV stereos do not have an amp trigger or auto antenna wire to automatically turn the amp on and off with the radio like car stereos do. There is a device available to overcome this issue. I also didn't want to upgrade to a car stereo because car stereos don't have multiple zones for inside and outside.

Below is what I ordered to make the new speakers work for my trailer.

Kicker 2-channel Line Output Converter with Remote Turn-On wire - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VKFSLKN

Rockford Fosgate M1-65B Color Optix 6.5” 2-Way Coaxial Multicolor LED Lighted Marine Speakers - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081VX42N6

1 Pair of Angled Speaker Enclosures 1/8" ABS Plastic Boxes Pods Surface Mount - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YCR37JN

Wago Splicing Connectors - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NKSHVF6/

I used an old 30 watt per channel AlPINE amplifier I had laying around from my high school days to power the Fosgate M1's.

Before

After

Amp is mounted behind the Fireplace and under the TV that rises up out of the countertop in the 272FLS
Old 09-27-2022, 09:19 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digisaint View Post
Hey all, new to the forum and I just picked up my new TT this past weekend. One thing I wasn't impressed with was the quality of the interior and exterior speakers that are hooked up to stereo. Has anyone replaced these with something better that they recommend?

I've done car stereo installs and am pretty handy, but the RV is in storage until next weekend and I'd like to pick up some better interior speakers at least before my next trip.
I just TRIED this in our 2017 CruiseLite. I have a pair of JBL 6.5" coax's lying around and was able to mount them. However I had to use a bracket on the ceiling. This isn't a big deal by the outside door, but now I can't open my cabinets fully. Trying to figure out a way to mount them differently, but not having any success.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220825_122909.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	284.7 KB
ID:	279770   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220825_151339.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	201.9 KB
ID:	279771  
jp57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 10:54 AM   #10

I got a little crafty with my 3d printer and designed a half-inch flush mount standoff with two sets of mounting holes to make the Pyle speakers fit. I'm going to test fit them the next time I can get to where I store my trailer, but the speaker stem is tapered so here's hoping that's enough to make them fit without enlarging the holes in the ceiling.

Quote:
Only problem with upgrading to better speakers is the factory stereo only outputs 15 watts per channel (in my trailer) which is not enough to drive the larger speakers sufficiently. An Amplifier is necessary in this case and this complicates things a bit because RV stereos do not have an amp trigger or auto antenna wire to automatically turn the amp on and off with the radio like car stereos do.
Yeah looks like this is going to be an issue for mine also. My travel trailer came with one of these Furrion head units and from the specs it looks like its only 10W per speaker. https://furrion.com/collections/ster...ainment-system

I've replaced car stereos before, but that's mostly just connecting wires to a factory harness. It seems like the kicker converter goes between the stereo and the amplifier, but I'll have to watch some videos to figure out how (and where) I can mount an amp and get 12v power. My head unit is mounted into a cabinet with no door, so it might be tough
Old 10-17-2022, 04:20 PM   #11

Wanted to follow up and share that I was able to get the new speakers mounted with the little 3d printed standoffs without cutting larger holes in the ceiling and they're working great. They definitely sound better, but its not a huge difference and I really need to look into adding an amp or a head unit with a more powerful output

Tags
lite