Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2021, 07:50 PM   #1

Tamarack tires

Anyone familiar with these? They are made in Thailand, came on my new Platinum FSX TT. I have never heard of them and curious if they are as bad as the Castle Rocks? On the tire it says they are speed rated for 61 mph.. that’s crap. but are “D” rated.. anyway, any input would be appreciated.. thanks…
Doug
dsjohns71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 02:16 PM   #2

I just bought a new Apex Ultra-Light and have these tires as well. Mine are also D-rated, but have a posted speed rating of 81 mph. I can't find anything online about them—do you have any experience with them yet?
BuckWallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 04:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckWallace View Post
I just bought a new Apex Ultra-Light and have these tires as well. Mine are also D-rated, but have a posted speed rating of 81 mph. I can't find anything online about them—do you have any experience with them yet?

So far they seem fine.. yes they are rated for 81 mph not 61 like I originally thought,, had to put my glasses on,,, lol. I can’t find any info on them either but I have over 500 miles on them and keep them aired to around 62# and they have been good. Only time will tell. Let me/us know how your experience goes..
dsjohns71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 04:46 PM   #4

OK, cool, thanks for the reply. So far we've just towed from the dealership to our house (about 85 miles), but we have a couple longer trips planned later this year. We'll see how it goes before deciding whether to replace, but I'll keep an eye on them to look for any signs of possible impending failure.
BuckWallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 05:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckWallace View Post
OK, cool, thanks for the reply. So far we've just towed from the dealership to our house (about 85 miles), but we have a couple longer trips planned later this year. We'll see how it goes before deciding whether to replace, but I'll keep an eye on them to look for any signs of possible impending failure.
If you want find a DOT code on one of the tires and use this decoder to locate the plant they were manufactured in. Then look for other tires manufactured in the same plant.

https://calculla.com/tires_dot_index_decoder

"Tamarack" is just a brand name for marketing purposes and is not the name of the manufacturer.

Since they were OEM tires on your trailer I highly doubt they are premium tires. That said regular inspection and installation of a TPMS system will help you get many miles out of them before needing to replace. I got ~20,000 miles on my OEM Castle Rock tires before upgrading to Goodyear Endurance.

Remember that many, if not most, tire failures are really due to being run low on tire pressure, overloaded, or driven too fast for their design. Since rated for 81 mph that's low on the list of risks but air pressure and load are at the top.

Lastly, best way to inspect a tire is to jack that wheel off the ground and inspect it all the way around for lumps, bumps, cuts, nails, etc.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 10:19 PM   #6

I was following up to see if anyone had any more information on this tire brand. My Salem Cruise Lite has these from the factory. I can’t find anything about them on the internet.

The next time I swing by the trailer storage, I’ll have to write down the DOT code on them.
centraltxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 05:14 PM   #7

Hello. I just purchased a Palomino Solaire and it came equipped with Tamarack tires. Mine are E load rated and have a maximum speed rating of 81 mph. I've never heard of the brand before but hopefully they are not unreliable.
RollingRick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires