Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2023, 01:38 AM   #1

Theater seat too wide to swap out for sofa. Ideas?

Bad title, don't know how to edit the title. It should say:

Theater seat too wide to use to replace sofa. Ideas?
Note: I have embedded URL Links below, look for the <...> brackets...

We just bought a new 2022 Salem Hemisphere 26BHHL and they do not offer it with theater seating which we really wanted. The dealer told us it is easy to swap out the couch for theater seating and even gave us a price a day later.

So we bought the trailer but when we asked Parts order the theater seating, we learned that the electric fancy one we wanted is too wide to fit.

The available space is 63", the current sofa is 60" and the new electric theater seats are 65". We wanted to order through the dealer so the covering material would match the U-shaped dinette. It is the dinette that is the issue, it is huge family style, which we don't need.

Although it may be an option to replace the big family U-dinette with a regular one which is smaller, that seems a ridiculous waste of money. (unless anybody wants to buy it from me

Here are pics of the current U-dinette on the left and sofa on the right. The theater seating we wanted was the electric <Seismic model> of Thomas Payne by Lippert. But I think Lippert uses custom fabric for Forest River, I can't tell if this color Grummond is the same. It is also possible that FR does not use the Lippert Seismic model at all, so I'm not sure I can get an electric one with matching fabric.

But my main issue is how to make the Seismic one about 3 inches narrower. It comes in Left, Center console, and Right units that hook together.

My idea is to take the <Center console> unit that is 12" wide, and pull off the fabric, cut the metal frame, make the supporting wooden panels narrower, and weld it back together. And recover it, hopefully with the old pleather fabric maybe with a center seam or ?

Anybody have any ideas, or how to get matching fabric that FR uses? The parts people are working with FR on it, but dunno.

Here is a <YouTube video> of what it looks like to assemble it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ExistingCouch26BHHL.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	198.7 KB
ID:	283619   Click image for larger version

Name:	2023 Hemi-HL-26BHHL Floorplan.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	186.0 KB
ID:	283620   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2023-02-03 at 11.33.32 PM.png
Views:	41
Size:	847.1 KB
ID:	283621   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2023-02-03 at 11.35.17 PM.png
Views:	35
Size:	256.4 KB
ID:	283622  
Snooker_ML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 08:13 AM   #2

Camping World has 60" ones. This is a link to the one on sale. They have others, too. May also be able to find someplace else.

This one is manual recline:

https://www.campingworld.com/camping...ge-134816.html

This one is powered recline:

https://www.campingworld.com/camping...NTPWR_PLC.html
2017 Ford Fiesta toad
Bill and Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 07:25 PM   #3

I think I need to emphasize something I didn't... There are plenty of furniture choices available but we are trying to have the new recliners MATCH the existing family U-dinette. I really think the only way is to get something in the exact same pleather/vinyl/whatever, get the material itself and have something recovered, hopefully just cutting down the center console to size will work.
Old 02-04-2023, 09:14 PM   #4

Maybe this strategy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snooker_ML View Post
I think I need to emphasize something I didn't... There are plenty of furniture choices available but we are trying to have the new recliners MATCH the existing family U-dinette. I really think the only way is to get something in the exact same pleather/vinyl/whatever, get the material itself and have something recovered, hopefully just cutting down the center console to size will work.
Maybe this strategy will work for you:
  • Go to the existing dinette.
  • Get underneath where the upholstery wraps around and is stapled.
  • Beyond the staples, cut off a small piece, a postage stamp size is enough.
  • Contact some of the RV furniture manufacturers whose names you find by searching this website.
  • Ask each one if they will cover one of their standard models with material they find that matches your sample swatch from the dinette.
  • Pick a supplier that agrees and has a model you like.
  • There should be very little surcharge for making one with your chosen covering.
As an alternative, you could ask Salem to identify the supplier and number of the material used on the dinette. Here are contacts, not sure which plant yours came from.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Salem 1.png
Views:	42
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	283640   Click image for larger version

Name:	Salem 2.png
Views:	37
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	283641  
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 02:20 AM   #5

Thanks for that great information, I will check this out!
Old 02-06-2023, 03:11 PM   #6

That center console part could come out, but it would make it a lot shorter than just 3 inches. Probably more like 6-10.

Funny, when we got ours I wanted to pull out couch type instead of the theatre seating, because I had ideas my kids might come on more trips, but now they are older, more school, more responsibility's of their own, they have only been on one trip. Neither could sleep on the theatre seating, though we can, and since we use it more than they do, I'm glad we didn't switch.

But its put together very clumsily. On the side of each seat is a hook. On both sides of the console bracket the hook fits into. Nothing is bolted down but it isn't super heavy. If you adjust them a bit they can pop out of the bracket and you have get them back in.

Doesn't make them a bad deal and they are comfortable (not electric mind you, just a thing you pull to release them and they adjust from there). But it is somewhat disappointing they don't go together better, for what RVs cost nowadays.

I suggest finding a RV show and check out the ones you like to be sure you are happy with the purchase. Maybe the non electric ones are slightly smaller and would do the trick?
Old 02-06-2023, 03:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by {Tpc} View Post
That center console part could come out, but it would make it a lot shorter than just 3 inches. Probably more like 6-10.

Funny, when we got ours I wanted to pull out couch type instead of the theatre seating, because I had ideas my kids might come on more trips, but now they are older, more school, more responsibility's of their own, they have only been on one trip. Neither could sleep on the theatre seating, though we can, and since we use it more than they do, I'm glad we didn't switch.

But its put together very clumsily. On the side of each seat is a hook. On both sides of the console bracket the hook fits into. Nothing is bolted down but it isn't super heavy. If you adjust them a bit they can pop out of the bracket and you have get them back in.

Doesn't make them a bad deal and they are comfortable (not electric mind you, just a thing you pull to release them and they adjust from there). But it is somewhat disappointing they don't go together better, for what RVs cost nowadays.

I suggest finding a RV show and check out the ones you like to be sure you are happy with the purchase. Maybe the non electric ones are slightly smaller and would do the trick?
Yes I agree. The electric ones are so cool, it is more than just the electric recline, and yes the center console on the Seismic that I showed, is 12" wide. I posted a link to a video of a guy putting them together so I see what you mean about the way you hook them together.

So far my best idea is to just take the upholstery material off the center console, cut down and remove about 4" of width - of what I assume is the metal frame and wooden foam supports, then weld it back together and use the old cover - the upholstery shop could slit it down the center and restitch it narrow or something?

You are correct the non-electric one is much narrower as well, so that is an option that would leave a lot of space.
Old 02-06-2023, 03:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snooker_ML View Post
Yes I agree. The electric ones are so cool, it is more than just the electric recline, and yes the center console on the Seismic that I showed, is 12" wide. I posted a link to a video of a guy putting them together so I see what you mean about the way you hook them together.

So far my best idea is to just take the upholstery material off the center console, cut down and remove about 4" of width - of what I assume is the metal frame and wooden foam supports, then weld it back together and use the old cover - the upholstery shop could slit it down the center and restitch it narrow or something?

You are correct the non-electric one is much narrower as well, so that is an option that would leave a lot of space.
You might need to see whats inside of it though, to make sure some part of the electronics for the seat isn't in there, or at least so that it could be reconfigured to be smaller.

I wonder if a non electric version of the same color would be a direct replacement? Maybe could find one out of a scrap yard or something and swap it in.
Old 02-06-2023, 05:46 PM   #9

Heads up

We have the electric Thomas Payne recliners with the fake leather upholstery. Just a heads up, our recliners are cracking and peeling already. They are three years old, with maybe 160 days of light use. No sun damage or animals or kids, just two old folks with careful use. I guess they never fixed the same problem rv furniture manufacturers have had for many years. Good luck.
zbevoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 11:59 PM   #10

Today I went to the dealer and looked at other recliners including Thomas Payne. Much to my delight I could see that the center console is totally made of a wood frame so there is no metal frame to have to cut. It is still my plan.

I was hoping the newer fabrics would be better quality and last awhile. I am starting to think I cannot get matching fabric anyhow so I might order the Seismic from Lippert in the cloth fabric that they have. We'll see. I asked them for samples.
Old 02-08-2023, 08:33 AM   #11

A good Local Upholstery shop could modify the wood frame and re-sew the fabric
Old 02-13-2023, 07:39 PM   #12

Have you considered removing the dinette and putting in a table and chairs?

Boondockers since 1982
Jodiwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 10:49 PM   #13

That was one option, yes. Or to order a standard dinette used by Salem in other models. It's a lot, $, labor, waste.

We already decided, I ordered the 12" wide center console in their only woven fabric - Amazon has it (with free returns) so we could check out the fabric color and talk to a local upholstery shop about options.

I think this will work fine.

Tags
heater