Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2019, 09:16 AM   #41

I spent dang near a year on here trying to figure out how to get those Strongarm Stabilizers on my unit with a LCI 6-point Level Up system. Several on here (rightfully) hammered me for asking the same question over and over...........even though I still don't know the answer.

Then one day DW said "The dang trailer shakes a little, especially when I'm running the washing machine. Get the flip OVER it already".

So I bristled, and rose up out of my chair, and excitedly said "YES DEAR. OK".

And I haven't worried about it since. The other time(s) that the trailer shakes, I am mostly unaware for some reason.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 09:40 AM   #42
Frog-Toberfest Organizer

On my Vengeance I use X-chocks and Steadyfast system. The combo took all the bounce out.
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum fifth wheel hitch V2
Days camped '16=43, '17=47, '18=57 '19=47 '20=47 '21=64 '22=62 '23=72 '24=0
Electra glide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 09:50 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Slide stabilizers are not recommended by most manufacturers unless you have the R/V on piers or cement blocks. If a tire loses air, the trailer drops and you have a stabilizer under the slide, it will ruin things!

X-Chocks work well but your best bet is triangulation stabilization like JT's Strong Arms or SteadyFast.

Do a forum search and you will have days of reading.
I agree with all the above. I also think slide stabilizers are just a carry over from the first slides made, and are totally unnecessary now. Just a marketing, solution for a non-problem, sale.
And while several things seem to work for JohnD10 against all logic, I have a story about slide stabilizers from Phoenix NASCAR camping.
Folks set up next to us in the desert. Their site was partly on soft sand. They quickly deployed slide supports under all three slides. Then it rained. A lot. The water ran through their site and under the RV. Unfortunately, the main slide supports were on firm ground, the tires were not. Jammed that slide up and forward as the RV settled and sand was washed away. Would not come in. We got to watch RV techs come out and try to realign the slide and hammer on the mechanisms. Never knew if there was any permanent damage. Never saw them again.
Take from that what you will. I would never use slide supports. If your modern slide sags when you sit in it, you have other problems.
Also, the SteadyFast system works great. But like others have said, doesn't matter what you do, you will have some movement. Get over it
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 11:05 AM   #44
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
I agree with all the above. I also think slide stabilizers are just a carry over from the first slides made, and are totally unnecessary now. Just a marketing, solution for a non-problem, sale.
And while several things seem to work for JohnD10 against all logic, I have a story about slide stabilizers from Phoenix NASCAR camping.
Folks set up next to us in the desert. Their site was partly on soft sand. They quickly deployed slide supports under all three slides. Then it rained. A lot. The water ran through their site and under the RV. Unfortunately, the main slide supports were on firm ground, the tires were not. Jammed that slide up and forward as the RV settled and sand was washed away. Would not come in. We got to watch RV techs come out and try to realign the slide and hammer on the mechanisms. Never knew if there was any permanent damage. Never saw them again.
Take from that what you will. I would never use slide supports. If your modern slide sags when you sit in it, you have other problems.
Also, the SteadyFast system works great. But like others have said, doesn't matter what you do, you will have some movement. Get over it
And there are times when choosing a riverside campsite is not the greatest idea, either...

But people still do it, anyway!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TrailRunnerAtCherryChreek-IMG_20150517_095153310.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	751.9 KB
ID:	204092  
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 08:37 PM   #45

I bought x chicks and cinder blocks to put under stabilizers. Hope that works!!! JDs look like they’d work but expensive.
Jtmavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 08:52 PM   #46
Grammar Pedant

I think the JT Strongarms (and equivalent) are the no-brainer here. However, they also cost in excess of $200 and may not be the easiest thing to install for the average person ... not everyone is a DIY.

X-Chocks work OK. I don't think they do that much. But, I think they were like $50-60 for a pair. The other idea that I didn't see mentioned, gets positive reviews, and is more affordable is the Valterra stabilizer. I may try a couple of these this year:

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 09:10 PM   #47
Retired Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHomey View Post
When we had a TT, we used a set like this if we going to be set up for more than a night:

https://smile.amazon.com/Cynder-0204...gateway&sr=8-9

One either side half way between the wheels and front and same in the rear. We set them each on a 2x12 12" long directly under the frame. If you get any movement then, your frame is flexing. They are available in different height ranges.

AL
When I had my Hilo about 15 years ago, that is exactly what I did also. Used a bottle jack and a couple of 2x blocks to get the low side up level in the center and then put those under the frame like you described and cranked to fine tune.

The reason I started doing that with the Hilo was I had the regular stabalizers down one time (no X-chocks back then) and while walking around it wanted to try and shift some. Once I started using those jack stands, it was like NJKris said, solid enough to dance on.

I think I still have them in storage in the basement. I had forgotten about them. This is what we are talking about. The ones I had were like this. The entire center rod could be lifted out and the pyramids would stack. Did not take up much storage space at all.

dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 09:12 PM   #48

Might give them a try.
Jtmavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 09:39 PM   #49
Jayhawker

Saw this last week at the camp ground. Apparently he was getting "bounce" with his trailer so he placed cement blocks and various sized boards under his frame both front and back. I Googled cement blocks and they run about 30-35 pounds each.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	thumbnail.jpeg
Views:	562
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	204211  
Old 05-10-2019, 09:39 AM   #50
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawker View Post
Saw this last week at the camp ground. Apparently he was getting "bounce" with his trailer so he placed cement blocks and various sized boards under his frame both front and back. I Googled cement blocks and they run about 30-35 pounds each.
I do the same thing. Except that I'm on a seasonal site and don't plan on moving my trailer any time soon.

Name:	blocks.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	609.3 KB
ID:	204233
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 09:53 AM   #51

EAZ LIFT 48860 Telescopic Jack, (Pack of 2)
by EAZ LIFT
4.2 out of 5 stars 110 customer reviews | 9 answered questions
Price: $59.68 & FREE Shipping. Details

These are the ones I've been using for the past few years. One on each side fore and aft of the wheels with a pad under them. I don't think anything is 100% other than concrete. I did make a captive pad to go on top of them out of a block PVC From Amazon
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 10:16 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
I do the same thing. Except that I'm on a seasonal site and don't plan on moving my trailer any time soon.

Attachment 204233
I realize that this is too much information, and is a pet peeve of mine.
Cinder blocks are much stronger when laid with the hollow core vertical. Laid horizontal they are very prone to cracking. FYI.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 10:23 AM   #53
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
I realize that this is too much information, and is a pet peeve of mine.
Cinder blocks are much stronger when laid with the hollow core vertical. Laid horizontal they are very prone to cracking. FYI.
Yea, that's been discussed previously when I've posted that same picture.

Basically, it's soft ground and with the flat side down, there's more surface area and it hopefully won't sink into the ground as much.

Also, it's not like they are holding a lot of weight. I have 4 or 5 stacks of blocks around my trailer and they are more for stabilization than anything. Never had one crack yet.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 02:23 PM   #54

Our Salem rocked quite a bit every time the kids rolled over in a bunk or went out the door. I ran a pair of these screw jacks under the bumper on the stackable jack pads. I would also lift the bottom step on the fold out stair and stack the a bunch of jackpads under the step so it wouldn't flex when someone was on the stairs. Both of these mods help quite a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dward51 View Post

t.simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 07:42 PM   #55

Slide out stabilizers

I have a Cedar Creek 29 IK 5th wheel. I bought two sets of the slide out stabilizers and used them for three months in Florida. Was set up on concrete pad, and the stabilizer were also on concrete. They did not totally eliminate the movement in the trailer but definitely minimize that. It’s like anything else, common sense on when and where to use them depending on the terrain your set up on. I like them.
Joepoohbah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 08:22 PM   #56

JT Strongarms front and rear, only thing that has ever work for me no matter what the surface. I have added to all my trailers and now my current 5th wheel, work with electric stabilizers as well. Trust me you will not be disappointed.

Good luck
Carls241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 08:24 PM   #57
JnK

Stabilizing

We have a 33.5 foot travel trailer and we use x-chocks on both sides, stabilizer jacks on the front sides of the frame near the stairs and directly across from that and a stabilizer under the bottom step. Almost completely solid and doesn’t take too long to set up.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	52F0BA1E-3B96-45CA-BE5E-12BAFD24F714.jpeg
Views:	116
Size:	251.7 KB
ID:	204556  
JnK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 08:43 PM   #58
I'm Lost

A neighbour has a Wildwood with scissor jacks, last year he turned them 45 degrees and claims 50%+ reduction in bounce.

I'm waiting to see if he still thinks so this season, if so I may remove my powered BALs and switch to scissors, again mounted 45 degrees to the centre line.

Geoff
2023 F150 Lariat 502A (After all rebates, price protection and dealer discounts, I saved $12,600Cdn. (Cavalcade Ford). If pays to shop dealers! (April 2023)
wabakami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 11:17 PM   #59

Please research the stabilizers in the slide out.
It's a really bad idea. In the old days slides would have tendency to sag so they were almost a necessity, these days the structure built to support the slide negates that requirement.
In fact modern slide outs are designed so that if you put pressure on the slide out you are actually breaking the seal. The weight makes the seal tight.
mebeauc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 04:57 AM   #60

Valterra Stabilizers

Simple fix that isn’t as expensive as permanent installed options. $45 on Amazon. Put one under back bumper for side to side movement. Put one along the frame near the door of the trailer to stop front to back movement.
dianeotte is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer