Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2021, 01:04 PM   #1

TV for 178BHSK

Has anyone mounted a TV in their 178BHSK? If so, can you give me some stats? How big? Anyone done a DVD combo TV? Articulating arm on the TV mount (or not)? Any measurements to avoid (length or width or weight)?

Would love any links to the TV you purchased or the mount you bought!

thanks in advance for the help!
Usc4duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 10:20 AM   #2
Always Learning

I can't help with that specific model but we installed TV/DVD combo players that we got from Walmart in our old fifth wheel. I liked the simplicity of just a single device.

You don't need to get RV-specific TVs or mounts or anything. Just about anything will work that fits the space.
Old 07-06-2021, 10:33 AM   #3

TV for 178BHSK

We don’t have your model, ours is a 171RBXL. But here is the mount we used with a 29” LG tv. It was an easy install, too.

Master Mounts 2311L Locking RV TV... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072N8PSNR...p_mob_ap_shareClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5727.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	209.1 KB
ID:	258585
flosmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 01:48 PM   #4

Yes...hopefully I can articulate my experience

I am new to this forum and posting...so, fingers crossed. I also have the 178BHSK and just this past weekend finished (i hope) the install. I reached out to Forest River for help on what exactly was behind the wall marked TV BACKER. They did not respond...very disappointing. Using a stud finder I believe I, kind of, know what is back there. The next photo is edited to show the red photoshop outline is where a vertical "stud" runs floor to ceiling and the depth of the wall. The green photoshop outline (the yellow post-its were my markings - i didn't expect to share this!) is what I think (I could be wrong!) is a wooden panel about 3/4" thick attached between the wall studs. The reason I mention the thickness is I believe you want to get the important screws/bolts in that "red" stud. It would be easy to drive a support screw thread past the "panel" thickness (hopefully I am wrong about the panel thickness, but I don't think so).
I initially decided on a small flush (only tilts) mount to go with a 19" TV I already had:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ACOR2PE...p_mob_ap_share
Photo of the mount on the wall should be attached. The idea is that the trailer is on the small side...didn't want to take up any more room than necessary. Problem came up when trying to attach different devices (RCA or component or HDMI) not "permanently" part of the system. There is not enough room to do those swaps. TV was knocked off the mount crashed and broke...happened on the first day! I should note that is not a design flaw...it was my fault for not setting the mounting screw (I incorrectly thought it would be nice to be able to quickly dismount the unit). I got lucky only the TV broke and not someone's foot!
So, I bought this articulating RV mount (locks in retracted position) as a used - like new version from Amazon...it was as advertised...like new, all parts there, saved about $10 ($25 instead of $35).
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KBW29P8...p_mob_ap_share
and due to the space on the TV BACKER wall I figured about 20" width was all I wanted on the new TV. Bought a 22" (diagonal) from Best Buy. It was on sale last week for $80, but i see now is back up to $119.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insigni...?skuId=6260936
Attached photo of new TV on new mount is bad angle...looks too big, but the TV fits against the wall, does not overhang on either side, nor get in the way of the slide at all. Also now moves safely away from wall for plugging devices and articulates for many more viewing options than we had with the original mount.
I hope this heips. -Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	frame outline_resize.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	258605   Click image for larger version

Name:	flushmount_resize.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	258606   Click image for larger version

Name:	install_resize.jpg
Views:	475
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	258607  
fuhze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 02:07 PM   #5

I noticed in the photos from my own reply that the spacing on the new (replacement)TV mount was larger than the original mounting pattern (which was inside the post-it note outline I made using the stud finder). I think I may have missed the TV BACKER panel in the lower left corner of the new mount...and that is why I thought the panel didn't go the full depth of the wall (guessed 3/4")...I think I missed the panel with that lower left screw and that is why it didn't set...and the panel fills the depth of the wall (it should). Hope I didn't add confusion, but it reminds me of how nice it would have been for Forest River to explain exactly (dimensionally and materially) what/where a TV BACKER is!!
fuhze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 08:44 AM   #6

We just bought our 178BHSK this weekend, i googled installing a TV and this page came up.

Extremely helpful information here. I'll attempt it this weekend, thanks for posting the details here!
The Mountains are Calling is offline   Reply With Quote