I used what came with the mount but since there was a window underneath, I backed a screw out that held the valence in place and verified it was longer than what I had.
I think I predrilled one hole in attempts to find the backer near the sticker, and I could never locate anything with the stud finder. In the end I used that hole and self tapped the other without the hole and didnít have any humps that I remember. I may have drilled a small pilot for each, but I wanted the screws to bite.
It has held up with no issues over a few long trips, with bumps along the way, not just smooth road. But my entire setup with the mount weighs less than 10 pounds, so that might have something to do with it. I think itís like 7-8 pounds total. Itís a smaller flatscreen.