Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2015, 09:35 PM   #1

Underbed storage

We just purchased a Salem 27RKSS that has underbed storage. We lifted the mattress and have been unable to figure out how to get the bed to return to the go flat position. Have not wanted to force it. Any ideas? Feeling kinda stupid, but need the help.
Laatops1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 09:42 PM   #2

Just push it down. It should have same lifting struts used to lift tailgates on most SUV's. It takes a little force to start it moving down.

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 09:50 PM   #3

If I'm not mistaken it has gas struts. Just push downward. It can take a little to get them going once fully extended.

On edit:.. What he said. :-) I'm too slow.
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 12:28 PM   #4
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

Our Hemi 282RK (basically the same but in the Hemishpere livery) has gas struts and just goes down. Make sure nothing is binding in the hinges.
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 05:50 AM   #5

I realize this is an old thread but was wondering if all 2015 Salem rkss have under bed storage opening out into the pass thru storage. I have put up two shower curtain bars to contain under bed storage separate from pass thru storage and wondering what others are doing
2003 Ford F-250 super duty diesel
Vinemont, AL
Triple SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 08:20 AM   #6
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

Never heard of the storage area being open to the pass through on any unit. Hmmm
Old 09-14-2015, 08:32 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxcamper View Post
Never heard of the storage area being open to the pass through on any unit. Hmmm

Although I do not own the unit referred to, during my shopping around for a new TT recently, I have come across many campers that have this. The underbed storage opens to the pass through on many models.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 04:48 PM   #8
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged Brown View Post
Although I do not own the unit referred to, during my shopping around for a new TT recently, I have come across many campers that have this. The underbed storage opens to the pass through on many models.
Ok, I stand corrected. Although it would seem not condusive to rodent proofing, heat conservation, etc.
Old 09-14-2015, 06:55 PM   #9

Now that you have discussed my situation is there any ideas as to what I can do to change this. Not being a smart butt but do need some ideas
Vinemont, AL
Old 09-14-2015, 07:17 PM   #10
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
I think what your see'n is laundry shute.
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 09:34 PM   #11
Happy Camper

You can build a simple partition out of plywood. I've been thinking of doing this myself. If you did this, people would not be able to enter the interior of the camper from the outside storage.
Tonylmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 03:09 AM   #12

Thanks. That has been a consideration but I cannot figurefigur ou hat to do about the top that I think will still be open. Sorry I am having a hard time wrapping my head around this delema
Vinemont, AL
Old 09-15-2015, 06:22 AM   #13

How and where would you attach a plywood partition?
Vinemont, AL
Old 09-15-2015, 11:05 AM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
You can build a simple partition out of plywood. I've been thinking of doing this myself. If you did this, people would not be able to enter the interior of the camper from the outside storage.
My previous trailer was just like this and we once had to send my 11-year-old into the camper that way when I got to the CG before my wife did and realized that I had forgotten my keys.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 12:11 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple SS View Post
How and where would you attach a plywood partition?

Why don't you show some pictures of your storage area and then the suggestions will flow in. You could nail/screw some nailer strips of 2 x 2 around the perimeter of the area to be enclosed such as floor, side walls and top. measure for plywood and screw it to the nailer strips.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 01:13 PM   #16

Now that sounds feasible to me. I believe I could handle that. Wondering how pegboard would work and use it to hang items in pass thru storage? Plywood would probably be better and just attach hooks with screws. I was going to take pics early this am but did not have time to move Tele and get pics before leaving for work. Will try to get them this pm and attempt to post. Thanks, I knew I could count on members here to help my creative juices to start flowing or to give me what I needed to accomplish a fix.
Vinemont, AL
Old 09-23-2015, 09:53 AM   #17

nailer strips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged Brown View Post
Why don't you show some pictures of your storage area and then the suggestions will flow in. You could nail/screw some nailer strips of 2 x 2 around the perimeter of the area to be enclosed such as floor, side walls and top. measure for plywood and screw it to the nailer strips.
Great idea, I was trying to make a better way to get to my water heater, maybe through the closet next to the bedroom drawers. Maybe cutting a hole through the wall and putting a door there. Taking the drawers out to get to the water heater valves is a pain to winterize it. Cutting a hole, then adding nailing strips for a panel seems like an easy fix, thanks Rugged Brown.
Eddy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 09:31 AM   #18

I cut a piece of 1/2 inch plywood and ran it across the midpoint separating the two areas. I was going to also run a piece on top to fully enclose it, but for me, it wasn't necessary. I just wanted to keep a space for linens and inside stuff (that I could access from under the bed) separate from the portable BBQ, hoses, and other outside stuff. Just be careful and use smaller screws and drill pilot holes so you don't split the small frame wood.....
mike4339 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, storage