Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2009, 10:13 AM   #1

Water Heater

I am borrowing a friend's Salem. Where do ignite the pilot light? Also, is there a switch inside that I need to turn on and off to get the water heated?

Thanks!

Cold showers in Texas!
mitchperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 11:16 AM   #2
Cyber Phrenologist

Back to water heaters 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchperry View Post
I am borrowing a friend's Salem. Where do ignite the pilot light? Also, is there a switch inside that I need to turn on and off to get the water heated?

Thanks!

Cold showers in Texas!
First, welcome to the forum! Second...cold showers will make a man out of you! This may not be desireable if you happen to be female.

Assuming DSI electric ignition:

Call your friend on the phone and ask him where the inside switch is. It is likely a small white panel with a switch and a red light on it. It may or may not be labeled. Look around the kitchen and around the front door. Sometimes a number of system controls are behind a cabinet door near the entrance to the trailer. Make sure the gas is turned on and there is no air in the system by lighting a stove eye for a minute.

Then go outside, open the pressure relief valve. Water should squirt out. This means the tank is full and that's good. If no water comes out, then fill the tank. LIGHTING THE WATER HEATER EMPTY WILL DESTROY IT.

Then go back inside, turn on the WH switch. The red light should come on for a few seconds and then go out. You should hear the burner in the WH now.

More details go here: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...t=water+heater

Enjoy!

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 07:15 PM   #3

Ditto if the heater is automatic igniting suburban style i think. We have a wildwood which is like salem and it is exactly as previously described by Radio.

also, if for some reason is has a manual water heater, there wont be the switch mentioned inside the TT. You have to manually turn the valve located in the water heater panel, accessed from an external access panel. will have to rotate the burner control to pilot, hold and manually light in the burner tube. will need to let the pilot light and run a while to heat up the thermocouple and then release the pilot knob, directions are normally on the inside of the water heater panel. As mentioned earlier, make sure you have water in heater before lighting, bleed water out popoff and open hot water spigot to confirm water in heater before lighting.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:49 AM   #4

yeah make sure the tank is full of water first

then just start flipping switches. one of them is bound the be the right one
just kidding

look for what was said before and I would ask the owner as well

BTW to FRF!!
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 09:10 AM   #5

I am curious if you are the first to use it this year. I have a new Salem LA and made the mistake of not having the bypass I used to winterize turned in the right direction. I had hot water a plenty in the tank but thought I had ice in the line when none came out. Oh well, live and learn in Wisconsin. Mine runs on Electric or gas. No pilot to light on either. Make sure your gas is on if thats what you're using.
fireftrbuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
salem