Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2013, 08:22 PM   #1

water tank questions ....

26rks here...
I will be travelling with my four year old and I would like to know how to fill the internal tank to its full capacity and how to makesure thewater is clean....
I will not be drinking it, but would like to know what to do to sanitize thetank and how to keep the "load" clean...
Kuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:59 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

This should help you with sanitizing the tank. Post #5 from Herk has excellent instructions.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ize-40157.html

A filter will help with "keeping it clean". Either your internal water filter (I assume your model has one) or an external inline filter from Camco.

Sorry I cany help with filling your tank as I'm not familiar with your model. Have you experienced trouble?

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 09:29 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuba View Post
26rks here...
I will be travelling with my four year old and I would like to know how to fill the internal tank to its full capacity and how to makesure thewater is clean....
One way to fill it is to slow the filling rate dramatically after you pass the 3 light stage. If you fill rapidly after that and start the overflow with pressure the tank may begin to syphon when its full through the overflow. By the time it breaks the vacuum you may be 1/2 tank or less. Just slow fill towards the end and you'll have a good chance it will remain full while stationary. Not a good idea to travel with it full unless you must.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:25 AM   #4

No problems with my trailer, just never done it before. I will be going to a park that has a "filling station", but does not have water at sites. I will be only using it to shower and wash dishes.
Old 08-25-2013, 10:27 AM   #5

It is a brand new trailer so it was never fulled used. Should I be looking at the tank while its filling? Where is the overflow?
Old 08-25-2013, 10:32 AM   #6
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuba View Post
It is a brand new trailer so it was never fulled used. Should I be looking at the tank while its filling? Where is the overflow?
there should be a tube sticking out underneath the camper somewhere. There will also be a couple low point drains with valves and or caps. The overflow should just be an open tube.
Old 08-25-2013, 10:41 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuba
Have you located the water pump? You can run a small streakm of water into the sink and listen for the hum vibration from the pump. Its close to the tank. Look underneath for a hose extending from the floor, the vent will have a fine screen secured to the open hose that will be the overflow.
Old 08-25-2013, 11:09 AM   #8
Site Team - Lou

Getting a full fresh water tank is more "art" than "science" because each water tank has a unique shape and install (location and plumbing).

Because the orientation of the inlet and outlet of the tank varies, I will demonstrate with my install how it looks and what you can do to get the most water IN (keeping it there is another problem )

In this photo you will see that when my camper is connected to my truck (how most folks will fill their fresh tank heading into their camp site), the tank floor is NOT level. In fact, it is quite "out of level" and the tank will not ever fill completely before the air vent is under water.

Worse yet, even while the vent is spurting water (full) the indicator lights will only show 2/3 full due to the location of the sensors (from bottom to top - 1/3 - 2/3 - full).

Since the outlet to the water pump is side mounted, not all the water is available to the water pump either. The pump "sucks" the water out of the tank. Once the water level drops to the very top of the outlet pipe, air will enter the system and water will stop flowing.

Depending on how level you are, will determine how much is usable (never 100%).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Horst Probe Install 019.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	38589   Click image for larger version

Name:	Horst Probe Install 020.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	38590  
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 01:55 PM   #9

Have been unable to locate hot and cold water low point drains on my 2014 Salem 346QBUD. Can anybody help?
slillig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 04:13 PM   #10
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by slillig View Post
Have been unable to locate hot and cold water low point drains on my 2014 Salem 346QBUD. Can anybody help?
Knowing what you are looking for can help.
Two plastic tubes hanging down and capped.
Various colors; various terminations.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Drains 001.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	295.7 KB
ID:	54270   Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	170
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	54271  
Attached Images

Old 06-03-2014, 04:16 PM   #11

Thanks for the pics. The only hoses coming out of the bottom of trailer I can find are the fresh tank drain and vent.
Old 06-03-2014, 04:44 PM   #12
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Thanks for the pics. The only hoses coming out of the bottom of trailer I can find are the fresh tank drain and vent.
I don't believe the vent comes out the bottom in most campers. It is usually collocated with the fresh water tank fill port. Perhaps a photo will confirm what you think it is.

The fresh water drain in my camper uses a valve below the fresh water tank.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo(7).JPG
Views:	147
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	54275  
Attached Images

Old 06-03-2014, 08:12 PM   #13

On my 346qbud the fresh water fill is a threaded hose hookup. Fairly confident the hose next to fresh tank drain on bottom of unit is the vent because I get water out of it when the tank is full and when try to fill it to quickly.
Old 06-03-2014, 08:15 PM   #14
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
On my 346qbud the fresh water fill is a threaded hose hookup. Fairly confident the hose next to fresh tank drain on bottom of unit is the vent because I get water out of it when the tank is full and when try to fill it to quickly.
Sorry, I can't help you. Maybe another member can.
Old 06-03-2014, 08:41 PM   #15

Quote:
The pic Herk showed you is a "gravity fill" connection. What you are describing is a "pressure fill system" where the pressure hose is hard connected, you switch a valve somewhere nearby and the tank is filled with a pressure tap, often through the pump suction. There is an air vent attached to the tank top but careful its only designed to expel air, if you overfill you can damage the tank.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:19 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
The pic Herk showed you is a "gravity fill" connection. What you are describing is a "pressure fill system" where the pressure hose is hard connected, you switch a valve somewhere nearby and the tank is filled with a pressure tap, often through the pump suction. There is an air vent attached to the tank top but careful its only designed to expel air, if you overfill you can damage the tank.
There is no 'valve somewhere' to switch, or pump suction. It fills the Fresh water tank with a screw on garden hose. Fill it up slowly or the water volume in will be more than the air volume going out and cause the tank to bulge. When the tank is then full of water the bulge will push the water out of the air over flow and cause a suction to form on the over flow tube and half of your water will be sucked out of the Fresh water tank. Some one may have to realign your air tube, it is a very very poor design and Forest River should be ashamed of it. Why is it on like this? It is cheap and easy, but still not functional. 'My' 'Dealer' realigned my air tube, but it still does not work as it should. I ended up having to mount a shut off valve on it and open it when I am to the camp site. 'If' you get the water to stop flowing after filling the tank and not have a valve on it, going down the road, gallons will still slosh out. When I get to the camp site and open the breather valve, water that is in the tube will start a suction action, I sometimes have to get under the unit and blow back into the tube to 'clear' the tube of water. Not the ideal situation, but a work in progress of having water in the tank and not loosing most of it.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, water, water tank