Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2021, 01:54 PM   #1

What accessories should I add?

Just purchased a Salem FSX 181RT that's due in in March. New to camping. What extras should I buy? TV?, backup camera?, cover?, solar panel?, etc.
Any opinions or recommendations are welcome. Thank you!
magieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 02:19 PM   #2

TV , observation camera , pressure regulator for city water. Did it come with all the sewer pipes and fittings? Clear 90 for the end of the sewer hose. Wheel chocks , battery operated impact wrench for your stabilizer jacks.
2022 Yamaha Wolverine RMAX2 Sport
atkbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 05:27 PM   #3

First, get yourself a good first aid kit and know how to use it. When camping nature happens! From there it will depend on how you camp. If you will always be hooked to power you don’t need solar. You can’t go wrong with a good water pressure regulator, filter and potable water hose.
WanderMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 05:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by magieb View Post
Just purchased a Salem FSX 181RT that's due in in March. New to camping. What extras should I buy? TV?, backup camera?, cover?, solar panel?, etc.
What kind of camping do you plan to do? State park like camping with water and electric hookups only? Rv parks with full hookups? Boondocking?
Old 01-22-2021, 06:11 PM   #5

Start with the basics that you don't find included by the Dealer when you take delivery.

When I took delivery of mine the Dealer saw too it I had a water hose, sewer hose (kit) and a 30/15 amp cord adapter.

From there you'll need to give some serious thought to what you feel you need to be comfortable while camping.

The list of accessories and upgrades I've added to my trailer since I brought it home in July of 2017 amounted to over 40 items at the last count.

Like mentioned before, a first aid kit, water regulator, perhaps an extra water hose or so so you can reach out to a distant water faucet, a sewer hose extension for that farther than usual sewer hookup would be nice.

If pre-wired for a backup camera adding one is nice. Likewise a TPMS to monitor tire pressures while driving is not just nice but considered by many (self included) to be requirement.

In time you'll decide on the other accessories and upgrades like solar, better batteries (and more of them). Propane tank monitor, battery monitor, and on and so forth.

At first you'll be busy enough stocking with various living essentials like Dishes, Pots, Pans, Utensils, towels, and various storage bins, etc.

A basic tool kit is also essential as well as an assortment of wood and sheet metal screws. A roll of Duct and Electrical tape too.

I found the most used tool when I first started using my trailer was a screwdriver (straight blade and phillips) as there were a lot of loose screws for some reason.

As you settle in many items will make it to your "Want List" but at first focus on just being able to be comfortable, eating, sleeping, and relaxing.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 08:32 PM   #6

I just ordered a Viair 400P-RV automatic portable compressor Kit. Not fun pulling the motorhome into a gas station for air.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 01-23-2021, 02:08 PM   #7

Small vacuum cleaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDFOR3 View Post
I just ordered a Viair 400P-RV automatic portable compressor Kit. Not fun pulling the motorhome into a gas station for air.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Don't forget a small vacuum cleaner. And other cleaning supplies.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 05:11 PM   #8

I agree with what most people listed below. Watch your budget as you could spend your vacation money.

Here are some additional suggestions I didn't see.
* square bits - most RV don't have philip head or blade heads.
* sockets to fit water tank plug, tongue jack (if power) for manually operating, stabilizer jacks and lug nuts.
* breaker bar for lug nuts
* water bandit if you camp at state parks. Some parks don't have threaded water connections.
* power surge protector/monitor - I have portable one but some are hardwired. This is expensive.
* adjustable power regulator with gage.
* hot water tank flush wand. Use this a couple times a rear to flush sediment.
* blank tank flush wand. I dislike my black water tank flush. I doesn't do as good of a job.
* blank tank treatment - I use Happy Camper
* water filter - I attach mine to the outside of the trailer. I use Camaco blue one found on Amazon or at Walmart.

As your can see the list can go on and on. The key is to have fun!!!

DustyRoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 05:24 PM   #9

Here is a link to a giant list. Read thru it and prioritize what you would really want and need. Get the basics/necessities first. It will take a couple seasons to fine tune what you really want to bring so don't go crazy in the beginning.

https://blog.campersinn.com/blog/ult...st-time-camper
Boborc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 07:42 PM   #10
Always Learning

Not a whole heck of a lot until you know what your camping style is and how you’ll use the RV.

Here’s my *very* basic “first trip essentials” list:
https://learntorv.com/newbie-first-trip-essentials/
Old 01-23-2021, 08:59 PM   #11

You will need a pencil and paper (small notepad works, too). Following all the suggestions above from other posters, I would recommend you actually camp out in your RV for a couple of nights, either in the driveway or a very close campground, so you can run to the house for something if needed (or to the store). Use the pencil and paper for careful notes and note everything you forgot to bring or didn't use, or you couldn't figure out how it worked, etc. Try out everything on your camper and make sure it works. Refer to the suggestions of our other posters. Make sure you don't overpack or over weight your RV. Make necessary adjustments of "stuff" following your notes. If you are unfamiliar with with driving an RV, you might even want to practice in a non-traffic area until you feel comfortable with the added size and changes in how you have to drive. Do all of this with enough time to fix what you need to fix before leaving on the actual trip. Have fun on your real trip!
ProfChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 08:20 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by magieb View Post
Any opinions or recommendations are welcome. Thank you!
It seems like everyone covered just about everything you need. The only thing I can ad is a note book. My Wife and I keep a journal listing the pros and cons of campgrounds we have stayed at. Will we go back or not. It comes in handy when you travel the same route after a year or two and can't remember the "good" campgrounds. Happy Trails
atemplesr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 10:12 AM   #13
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Not a whole heck of a lot until you know what your camping style is and how you’ll use the RV.

Here’s my *very* basic “first trip essentials” list:
https://learntorv.com/newbie-first-trip-essentials/
X2

I agree with Ependydad. I'll add by saying this. Stay overnight in the camper in your driveway for a couple nights if you can. Then stay a weekend at a good campground near a Walmart. You'll quickly figure out what you absolutely need. Make a list based on suggestions here but don't start ordering stuff on Amazon right away. After that first trip or two you'll get a feel for what else you need or really want from the list. Only you can determine what YOU need or want for your camping style.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 10:20 AM   #14

The local camping trip is one of the best things to do. I did that my first time, about 15-20 miles away. I was home an hour and a half later getting a few things before night set in.
Boborc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 11:53 AM   #15

When you decide to get something. Do a search on the forums. What is the best ones.
BDenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 12:05 PM   #16

Solar panels and an MTTP controller.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
accessories