Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2021, 02:50 PM   #1

Where is the bypass valve in a cruise lite 171??

I am new to forums and I have a 2022 salem cruise lite 171 and have looked everywhere I see lots of blue and red tubes BUT NO VALVES????? Where is it located? I need hot water please?

PS: I can not find the water heater so I can't find the valves..lots of red/blue hoses NO VALVES ANYWHERE!
sljones2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 03:29 PM   #2
Part-Time Campground Host

The bypass valves are normally near the water heater tank. They are normally small white, gray, or black, plastic valves.
Here's a diagram to help:
Attached Images

Equalizer Hitch w/4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2015(retirement): 1687
cboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 03:40 PM   #3
Site Team

Looking at the layout and the exterior of this model, I'd guess they are behind the toilet. You may have to take out one of the wood panels.

Click image for larger version

Name:	exterior.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	266224

Name:	interior.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	191.6 KB
ID:	266225
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 04:12 PM   #4

No way to take out panels

Thanks..but no way to take out any panels behind toilet..no screws etc. OPn ly one panel un der sink.. no valves nothing.
Old 11-29-2021, 04:18 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sljones2002 View Post
Thanks..but no way to take out any panels behind toilet..no screws etc. OPn ly one panel un der sink.. no valves nothing.
Push on them a little. They are probably only held on by small nails.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 04:21 PM   #6

Thanks but nope to tight a fit

Sorry, i pushed and pushed hard..no way to remove them.
Old 11-29-2021, 04:29 PM   #7

Quote:
I am new to forums and I have a 2022 salem cruise lite 171 and have looked everywhere I see lots of blue and red tubes BUT NO VALVES????? Where is it located? I need hot water please?

PS: I can not find the water heater so I can't find the valves..lots of red/blue hoses NO VALVES ANYWHERE!

there is a panel behind the toilet has to be unless you have a water heater bypass built into where your water compartment is . could just be 1 valve that needs turned and not 3 . some water heater plumb job have a check valve on the outlet side and just one valve for by-pass
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 04:31 PM   #8

Mr. M Thank you but no panel

Thank you but no way to access behind toilet.. the one large and one small panel are firmly in place..no nails or screws..just glued or one piece..not sure. So that is a no.
Old 11-29-2021, 05:02 PM   #9
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Thank you but no way to access behind toilet.. the one large and one small panel are firmly in place..no nails or screws..just glued or one piece..not sure. So that is a no.
How about the bottom panel of that outside storage compartment?

You said you didn't know where the water heater is located. (cannot find the water heater)
The water heater is behind that black metal door right below the outside storage compartment (in the photo posted) so the factory had to connect the plumbing to the water heater somehow. They would not have connected the plumbing and then built the R/V around it, that's not that way it works.

Did you buy this new?
Didn't your dealer show you this important, R/V 101 information.
Have you called and asked them to help you find the bypass valves on a R/V you just bought?

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 05:23 PM   #10

Using this 171RBXL picture as a reference.....

The water heater is located under the shelf ( need to remove the screws ), that is inside this outside storage compartment, just above the water heater vent. You need to remove this shelf / panel and you will find the water heater just below it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	4 - Rear Right Side View.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	266238  

2023 Flagstaff 206STSE
2019 Flagstaff HW29SC ( sold )
2017 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL ( sold )
2014 Ford 150 XLT 5.0 2wd
Briorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 05:54 PM   #11

Bypass valves

I'm making the assumption that this is your first experience with a trailer so I'm sorry if my post is a little long due to my explanation. I have a 2021 171RBXL and the outside storage above the water heater has a 'false bottom'. Mine is in 2 pieces with a cut down the middle. empty the compartment and lift out the left side of the bottom in the compartment. There you will see the red [hot water] and blue [cold water] pex plumbing pipes. There will also be valves, as indicated earlier in this post in a diagram. My camper is under cover right now, but if I remember right there are 2 valves. In the winterizing position they divert water into the hose that is connecting the red and blue lines... this is the 'heater bypass' position. I believe the valves have a single 'wing' that indicated water flow direction... when the wing points to the hose that goes between the red and blue lines this indicates the water will flow from the blue cold water line, thru the connecting line to the red hot water line. To use the heater, first flush any antifreeze from the system [assuming you are using antifreeze]. Once the water is running clear, move both valves in line with the red and blue pipes. This will send water into the heater... it will take a while to fill. Once it is filled, and you are not getting air out of the faucet, turn on the propane and turn on the heater switch... if the heater does not light the first time turn off the switch and light the stove top. This will help purge the air from the line if the trailer has been sitting for a while. Turn off the stove top and turn on the heater switch again... if you stand outside by the heater you will hear some clicking and eventually you should hear the 'woosh' of the heater starting.

Also, there is an 'anode' rod that need to be checked yearly. This rod will be eaten away by the acids and minerals in the water. This helps protect the interior of the water heater tank and need replacing when it is eaten away. Although my camper is still pretty new and the rod has not been eater away much, I'll be replacing mine yearly just to ensure I get the longest life out of the heater.

Again, sorry for the long post but since I don't know you experience, I figured I'd make this as detailed as possible from my own experience.
redhorse1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 07:06 PM   #12

Lift out the floor of the storage compartment shown in post 3. I owned a wildwood 171 rdxl and it was the same.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote