Old 12-17-2019, 08:53 PM   #1

Which trailer to buy?

Hello everyone,
I am at a crossroad on which trailer to buy. I am looking at the Imagine 2500RL and the Salem Hemisphere 24RLHL. Both models have almost the identical floor plans and weight is about the same. From what I have found on the Salem Hemisphere is they are built well but have some warranty issues. But depending on which sites I go to I find that owners of both brands either love them or have some issues with them. I'm leaning towards the Hemisphere but I would like some input from actual owners if anyone has compared these two models.
Thanks

piratedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 09:19 PM   #2

They all may have issues. Go with the one you like most and enjoy!

Where ever you go there you are
grumpyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 09:23 PM   #3

Ditto
Blender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 09:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpyer View Post
They all may have issues. Go with the one you like most and enjoy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blender View Post
Ditto
Same here.

Look at lots and get snoopy. Look EVERYWHERE and pick one that you like that has the fewest visible flaws.

RV's are built by people and we all know that people aren't perfect.

"Sometimes you're the dog, sometimes you're the tree"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 10:57 PM   #5

Try the GD Facebook page for Imagine owners for some feedback. When we decided to upgrade we looked at a Salem and a GD Imagine XLS. We went with a GD. Price wise you will probably get a better deal on a Salem. We only have 2 GD dealers in state and there wasn't too much room for bargaining.
Days camped 2017: 7
Days camped 2018: 15
Days camped 2019: 17
Chief T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 02:01 AM   #6

Grand Design has one of if not the best reputations for standing behind their products of all trailer manufactures. If it were close and even if GD was a tad bit more $$$$, personally I would lean that direction. I've never owned a GD trailer, just going off thousands of hours of forum reading in multiple forums and that's the impression I have of GD from others posts. My .02. Good Luck in your new purchase and happy camping!
Old 12-18-2019, 02:10 PM   #7

Send a message via ICQ to Cover Dog
Grand Design is now owned by Winnebago if that helps in your decision.
2014 CR-V EX-L w/Nav & Blue Ox & Ready Brute Elite

NRA Endowment Life Member, FMCA #455593, WIT #170814 & Mid-Ohio Winnies
Cover Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 03:51 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cover Dog View Post
Grand Design is now owned by Winnebago if that helps in your decision.
I've seen a lot of complaints, on other RV forums, that GD quality has gone down since Winnebago took over.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 03:55 PM   #9

As an owner of a Grand Design, I would urge you to go that route if the numbers are good for you. While they're not perfect, to us they have a higher quality of build. I had a warranty issue over the front baggage door on our fiver, which really was an LCI fault, not GDRV. They shipped a new door assembly to me at no charge so I could fix it myself. Not sure if FR will do that. GDRV is known for helping their customers that way. Yes, they're owned by Winnebago.... but that's a good thing, in my opinion. They're one of the few manufacturers that are not owned by 'Doctor Evil' under the Thor empire.
2019 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS "The Dog House II"
Andersen Ultimate 5th wheel hitch
EezTire TPMS
Springerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 03:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
I've seen a lot of complaints, on other RV forums, that GD quality has gone down since Winnebago took over.
Hearsay, or documented? Curious. See my above post.
2019 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS "The Dog House II"
Andersen Ultimate 5th wheel hitch
EezTire TPMS
Springerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 04:24 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springerdad View Post
Hearsay, or documented? Curious. See my above post.
Not sure you document what anyone posts on RV forums. But they came from supposed GD owners, some that owned pre-Winnebago units and then bought post-Winnebago units.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
Old 12-18-2019, 05:09 PM   #12

Once you decide,"price" your choice at RVWholesalers....they beat our local dealer by $6000! And they were great to work with on 2 warranty probs. No complaints, totally pleased!
smgelsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 07:29 PM   #13

There are ALWAYS trade offs. Here are some that seem obvious. Note: I don't own either one

1. Do you look at nature, or watch TV. The GD Ent Ctr is placed ideally for both the folks in the dinette and the couch. The Ent Ctr is the Hemisphere is far from the couch and at a difficult angle for the dinette. On the other hand, the GD fridge takes out a slide window available on the Salem. The GD TV also blocks a kitchen window that offers a view in the Salem.

2. How long do you stay in one place? Fresh/Gray/Black (web specs) Salem 48/32/32, GD 52/90/45 ( I think that's the 26RLHL, couldn't find the 24). That's a BIG difference. If you have the capability to refill the Fresh on the GD, you can stay in one place for a LONG time, depending on size of family. ON the other hand, your 90 gray W is likely split to two tanks. So if you never use the shower (and use the park showers) you'll fill one 45 before the other. I would never (just me personally) go down the road with a 187 gal of liquid (so dump before you move; a good personal recommendation).

3. GD roof/floor/wall 30/7/40 seems pretty good. Didn't see Hemisphere R-value online. Hemisphere claims enclosed / heated tanks, but GD does too. Not knocking Hemi R-value, just couldn't find it.

4. The only other goofy thing is the RLHL is hard to find online. The 26RLHL is there, but tought to find the 24RKHL. Nothing wrong with that, could be a short lived model, but we have a weird one (2511WS Rockwood, hard to find)but our floor plan works GREAT for us.

From what i could see, the Dry and Wet weights looked comparable. Look at Axles and suspension differences. Look at Propane capacity if you're a winter camper or gourmet chef (or take a lot of hot showers).

Best of luck.
Steve W indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 08:04 PM   #14

Thanks everybody, the picture is clearer. Still not sure which way we will go but I now have more information to help in the decision making.
piratedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 09:20 PM   #15

I googled your hem24 that you are looking at and also found on the FR web site, (not sure what the OP was talking about there all over the place)no i do not own that unit but we have a 2019 FR Vibe 28RL and it is bigger than what your looking at but we only had a few minor issues with the tt, fixed myself, it does have the 12volt Everchill frig that we love, last tt had propane, electric, Everchill is great and cold all the time just like a home unit, its been a very nice tt. The only recommendation would be to go and see and sit in it and relax for a while, is the tv viewing ok(a few i saw would make my neck sore) check out the bathroom and sit on the toilet, do you have plenty of room? my previous tt was like sitting in a cardboard box, i dont think the holding tank size would be a deal breaker for me, anyway choose wisely and good luck. Let us know your find
Wonderful co-pilot
madatme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 10:24 AM   #16

FYI. Wildwood Heritage Glen is built in the same factory as the Salem Hemisphere. Interior and exterior colors are different. Models are the same.
lewisra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 10:07 AM   #17

Go with one at a dealer that is closer. Most dealers give VIP service to customers who buy from them as we all know. So why drive hours and waste time to get a little warranty work done when you can drop it off at your local dealer and get VIP service? I realize it is different for everyone. But we made that mistake once. We drove 4 hours to the dealer we bought from and they couldnt get us in for a few weeks, called in a few weeks later and it wasn't done yet. Missed over a month of camping.

There are upsides and downsides to internet wholesale dealers....

Let's just say the extra $30 a month is worth it to keep your business local!
MNnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 02:33 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNnomad View Post
Go with one at a dealer that is closer. Most dealers give VIP service to customers who buy from them as we all know. So why drive hours and waste time to get a little warranty work done when you can drop it off at your local dealer and get VIP service? I realize it is different for everyone. But we made that mistake once. We drove 4 hours to the dealer we bought from and they couldnt get us in for a few weeks, called in a few weeks later and it wasn't done yet. Missed over a month of camping.

There are upsides and downsides to internet wholesale dealers....

Let's just say the extra $30 a month is worth it to keep your business local!
There's no guarantee that a local dealer will give you VIP service nor good service. There are thousands of posts from those that bought local, only to find that the service department sucked.

Equalizer WDH

Tags
trailer