Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2019, 03:49 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Melbourne Fl
Posts: 5
Question Window leak test during hurricane

I have a 2016 SATW SALEM CRUISELITE 24' Model 241QBX. During Hurricane Dorian rain was hitting the dining table window pretty hard. Water started to come in near the top of the window. I opened the awning slightly which stopped the leak. Later I applied metal duct tape over the four rectangular slots above the window along the black frame. Are these drain slots? Are they supposed to leak? I'm going to seal them up.
Click image for larger version

Name:	zoom.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	214350
__________________

Perry32935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 03:53 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 130
Yes they are drain holes. The window is installed upside down. Atleast that is what it looks like to me.
__________________

__________________
2019 ROO 233S
2017 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie
Wisconsin-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 04:13 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Montana
Posts: 454
It’s upside down compared to the windows on every rv we’ve owned.
__________________
2016 Berkshire XL 40A towing 2016 Jeep Wrangler.
Prior to this Jayco fifth wheel: 24' Eagle, 30' Designer, and 40' Jayco pinnacle.
Igave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 04:14 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Eastvale. CA
Posts: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisconsin-1 View Post
Yes they are drain holes. The window is installed upside down. Atleast that is what it looks like to me.
Either that or the photo is inverted and the decals were applied upside down. I'm leaning towards your theory though.

I'm surprised water wasn't coming over the sill on the interior considering there are no weeps at the bottom.
woo10-210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 04:20 PM   #5
Site Team
 
KyDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 8,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisconsin-1 View Post
Yes they are drain holes. The window is installed upside down. Atleast that is what it looks like to me.

What he said!!
__________________
Peace!
Dan & Rita D
2017 Nissan Titan 5.6L King cab 4wd
1999 Suzuki Intruder Motorcycle
Blue Ox WD hitch

Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-35
KyDan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 04:50 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Daycruiser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Garner, NC
Posts: 467
Now there was a great PDI by the dealer!
__________________
45 Years RVing and no end in sight.
2018 Ram 3500 SB Limited, CC, 6.7/Aisin, 4X4, SRW. Comfort Ride Energy Absorbing Hitch.
2020 Cedar Creek Hathaway 34IK, Reese 19K Sidewinder PB.
Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 06:57 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: North of Seattle, WA
Posts: 7,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daycruiser View Post
Now there was a great PDI by the dealer!
Not to mention the "genius" of whoever was in charge of quality control at the factory.


FWIW, even if window was installed correctly those "drains" can be a real pain. If there is enough wind along with the rain water can back up into the frame on the inside and overflow, ruining paneling.

My old 95 Terry had these drains on the front window behind a stone shield/awning. If I drove in the rain the shield would concentrate water and wind in front of the holes and when we stopped for the night the edge of the bed inside was soaked. Finally ended up just filling the holes with some Urethane Caulk and just mopped the condensation off the inside of the window and frame before it overflowed.

These drains need a "one way flap" on them although the OP's needs to have the window re-installed properly first.
__________________
"A wise man can change his mind. A fool never will."

"Sometimes you're the dog, sometimes you're the tree"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 07:23 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: N. CA
Posts: 255
Some windows have weeps on top and bottom, so they can be installed either direction. Mine does, and has rubber plugs for the unneeded top weeps.

For the op, plugs can probably be obtained, or use black non leveling sealer. Could drill some small weeps in the bottom if needed (can't tell from the photo of there are weeps on the bottom as installed).
Dp26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 06:00 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dp26 View Post
Some windows have weeps on top and bottom, so they can be installed either direction. Mine does, and has rubber plugs for the unneeded top weeps.

For the op, plugs can probably be obtained, or use black non leveling sealer. Could drill some small weeps in the bottom if needed (can't tell from the photo of there are weeps on the bottom as installed).
X2
lewisra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 01:07 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 169
Dealer will most likely tell you.

"That is how they are installing them now."


That is in case you get a heavy up pouring rain.


Ok enough with the stupidity. Your window was installed upside down by the manufacturer. The dealer should have caught this it their nonexistent prep of you trailer before pickup.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry32935 View Post
I have a 2016 SATW SALEM CRUISELITE 24' Model 241QBX. During Hurricane Dorian rain was hitting the dining table window pretty hard. Water started to come in near the top of the window. I opened the awning slightly which stopped the leak. Later I applied metal duct tape over the four rectangular slots above the window along the black frame. Are these drain slots? Are they supposed to leak? I'm going to seal them up.
Attachment 214350
campers302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 06:39 PM   #11
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Melbourne Fl
Posts: 5
In conclusion....

The window has 4 slots on the top and 4 slots on the bottom of the black frame. I'll keep the bottom slots open to allow water to drain. I sealed the top slots with metal tape which solved the problem. I understand black plugs are available. Does anyone have information where to order them?
Perry32935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 10:52 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: North of Seattle, WA
Posts: 7,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry32935 View Post
The window has 4 slots on the top and 4 slots on the bottom of the black frame. I'll keep the bottom slots open to allow water to drain. I sealed the top slots with metal tape which solved the problem. I understand black plugs are available. Does anyone have information where to order them?
On my old trailer I just used some black urethane sealer to fill the slot and smoothed it over with a wet finger. Was no more noticeable than a plug which I never found.
__________________

__________________
"A wise man can change his mind. A fool never will."

"Sometimes you're the dog, sometimes you're the tree"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
leak, window

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:27 AM.


×