Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2011, 11:18 PM   #1

Winterizing - 2011 Salem 30QBSS

This will be my first time winterizing my Salem. It has one slide out. What do you guys do when winterizing these trailers? The roof has the rubber membrane. Can I walk on the roof? What needs to be done up there? Anything special to be done to the slide-out membrane or any lube to be applied on the undercarriage slide mechanism?

I'm planning on putting antifreeze in the white water tank, close the hot water tank bypass valves and circulate the antifreeze. Open the hot water tank plug. Fill the drain traps with antifreeze. What needs to be done with the gray and black tanks? Thank you.
SnoSheriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 03:59 AM   #2

I will watch for replies to this as it is our first winter with our Salem and it is pretty much the same trailer as yours.
1968 Pontiac Le Mans
Malco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 06:12 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoSheriff View Post
This will be my first time winterizing my Salem. It has one slide out. What do you guys do when winterizing these trailers? The roof has the rubber membrane. Can I walk on the roof? What needs to be done up there? Anything special to be done to the slide-out membrane or any lube to be applied on the undercarriage slide mechanism?

I'm planning on putting antifreeze in the white water tank, close the hot water tank bypass valves and circulate the antifreeze. Open the hot water tank plug. Fill the drain traps with antifreeze. What needs to be done with the gray and black tanks? Thank you.
Sounds like you're right on track. Personally I've never done anything on the roof or with the slides for winterizing; Someone else might chime-in on the subject and change my thoughts on that front. Putting a cover over the AC bonnet wouldn't hurt anything as far as I can see but I've never done that either.

When you say "antifreeze" I think/hope you are refering to RV specific, non-toxic antifreeze. You might want to bypass and drain your hot water tank before you fill the lines with antifreeze. If you want to use a lot less antifreeze, attach a hose to the inlet side of your water pump and draw antifreeze directly from the jug. Don't forget to empty your fresh water tank.

Your gray and black water tanks need no more than emptying and they are ready for winter.

Here's a good read on winterizing:
Winterizing Your RV - How to Guide
Old 09-23-2011, 06:14 AM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Do not put antifreeze in fresh water tank!
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 07:46 AM   #5
Site Team

Watch this VERY GOOD video.
It just about covers it all.

Then come here and ask questions if you have any.

Good Luck!
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 11:00 AM   #6

Yes, I will be using RV specific antifreeze.

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Do not put antifreeze in fresh water tank!
Oh, I'm pretty sure the manual said to pour antifreeze in the fresh water tank and then feed the lines from it. Why is this a bad idea? It says to flush the white (fresh) water tank in the spring with water/bleach mixture...

What about greasing the slidesout and undercarriage? Lube and/or condition the rubber roof & slide membrane? How? Should this be done now (fall) or in the spring?
SnoSheriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 11:37 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoSheriff View Post
Yes, I will be using RV specific antifreeze.

Oh, I'm pretty sure the manual said to pour antifreeze in the fresh water tank and then feed the lines from it. Why is this a bad idea? It says to flush the white (fresh) water tank in the spring with water/bleach mixture...

What about greasing the slidesout and undercarriage? Lube and/or condition the rubber roof & slide membrane? How? Should this be done now (fall) or in the spring?
You can pour RV PINK antifreeze directly in the tank but depending where your fresh water outlet is located, and at what angle your rig is slanted, you may need MANY gallons of pink in the tank before your pump is able to draw and push it through the water lines. That is why I attach a hose directly to the inlet side of the pump and draw directly out of the pink bottle. It takes me about one and a half gallons of pink to complete the winterizing, and that includes dumping directly from the pink bottle into the three goosnecks/traps.

I flush the fresh water tank in the spring with a solution of bleach (one cup bleach to 40 gallons water), each spring and once every two months thereafter.

DO NOT put grease on your slides or you will create a dirt/dust magnet.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:53 PM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Reason I said that is to do the job right it takes about ten or 12 gallons to do it and then next spring you have to sanitize.
getting the kit and installing it takes no time and only about three gallons and no sanitizing!
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 01:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Reason I said that is to do the job right it takes about ten or 12 gallons to do it and then next spring you have to sanitize.
getting the kit and installing it takes no time and only about three gallons and no sanitizing!
A section of any old garden hose and an adapter, hose to pump inlet, found at the hardware store, works just fine.