Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2018, 08:58 AM   #1

wiring issues

I bought a new 2018 forest fiver salem 27 rei from a guy that got an illness before he could even use his camper, The issue is the refrigerator will not work on the inverter but the microwave and fireplace will, forest river said its wired wrong but they wont fix it cause im the 2nd owner its never been camped in before can someone tell me where to get wiring specs to fix the problem thanks.
g miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 09:02 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered post model of your rig and the make and model of the frig for folks to be able to answer your question. Electrical schematics are normally not available
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 09:13 AM   #3
llr

If you post the exact model it will help as I am sure others will have the same one. General location is good idea too as you may find someone local to help.

is there any chance the cords from the 3 devices reach to the same area? If so just swap them around.

I assume you are talking about a residential fridge, If not please provide more details including if you are sure it has an inverter as that is generally only standard with a residential fridge.
TV 2024 F350 DRW - on order
Prior TV 2017 F150 6.5' bed 3.5 Eco-boost Max tow 1800lbs payload
llr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 10:57 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by llr View Post
If you post the exact model it will help as I am sure others will have the same one. General location is good idea too as you may find someone local to help.

is there any chance the cords from the 3 devices reach to the same area? If so just swap them around.

I assume you are talking about a residential fridge, If not please provide more details including if you are sure it has an inverter as that is generally only standard with a residential fridge.
Interior pics I fond do show a resi fridge.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 11:14 AM   #5
Site Team

It's odd that the microwave and fireplace work off the inverter. There should be a load shed switch is installed that prevents the M/W and Fireplace from running at the same time. Do you know about that?

Did Salem tell you how it was wired wrong?

If you can post a lot of pics of the inverter and wiring and are able to do some troubleshooting, we may be able to help you figure out how to rewire it correctly.
Old 09-12-2018, 11:23 AM   #6

there is a switch to keep only the micro or the fire place working at one time forest river said there not suppose to work off the inverter only the fridge
Old 09-12-2018, 12:18 PM   #7

Is this an "inverter" or a "converter"? Does the fridge work ok on 120v?
emoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 12:21 PM   #8

the fridge runs on 120 v only
Old 09-12-2018, 12:35 PM   #9

Did the previous owner make any changes? Did we ever confirm that you have a residential refrigerator? I believe the RV style refrigerators also run off of 120vac. Do you know what type of inverter you have? It’s kind of hard to believe that an inverter would be wired to run a fireplace. The combination of refrigerator, microwave, and fireplace would require a pretty large inverter.
Old 09-12-2018, 12:58 PM   #10

Forest River told me the fire place and the micro are not suppose to run on the inverter they said it must be wired wrong from the factory because no mods have been done. I did find where the wires go into the slide planning on reversing the wires to see if that helps. I bought new so I didn't have to work on it LOL
Old 09-12-2018, 04:23 PM   #11
Site Team

Sounds like someone hooked the wrong circuit to the inverter.

You should be able to look in the power panel and figure out which breaker feeds the fridge and swap that wiring with the wiring at the inverter and that should fix your problem.

Tags
wiring