Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2014, 10:40 PM   #1

2014 365SAQB Bedroom A/C

I apologize first if this is stated somewhere, I can't seem to find the right answer. I recently bought a new 2014 Sandpiper 365SAQB and so far love. Aside from some dealer screw ups sliding the rear slideouts out while the doors inside where open causing some minor repair work, it's been great. Here in Minnesota, I haven't needed a 2nd A/C in the master BR yet, but I understand it's prewired and braced. I was told by the dealer than they usually just mount one, plug it in and it's on a manual control. I have a dual zone thermostat and a temp sensor (I think) just above the bedroom light switch. My question is...is the electrical wire and thermostat wire hidden in the roof by the vent and also if it's controlled by the main living room thermostat, does the A/C unit hook into the existing ducts or is it a non-ducted unit. I would have the dealer install, but i just want to know what I need in case I would happen to get a 2nd A/C unit. Thanks.
Pbloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 10:52 PM   #2

It's a non ducted stand alone unit unless they have changed something. And yes, if you take out the vent in the BR you will see the wires.
2001 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3L,V/B Spring Mod, ProComps, Hellwig Swaybar, & other 'Necessities'
golfmedik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 03:01 AM   #3

My dealer added one and it runs off the dual zone thermostat. As far as I know the unit is ducted into the duct work but also has an option to open vent on the cover for max air flow.when I get to the unit tomorrow I will turn on the front ac and turn off the main to check air flow.

I had then install a dometic penguin 13.5 low profile unit.
jrobichaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 01:43 PM   #4

Mine is ducted in the master bedroom and runs of the main thermostat. you are correct, that is a thermometer by the light switch for "zone 2" on the thermostat. Mine was built with the second AC so I have no experience in the wiring etc..
Old 07-18-2014, 02:39 PM   #5
BIGS

I have a 376bhok - was told the 2nd front AC is only for the bedroom and is not ducted into the unit. It only blows cold air from the unit down onto the bed. Basically they pull the stock fan out of the bedroom and install the AC unit in the hole.
acbigsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 04:52 PM   #6

My Bhok has the dual zone thermostat and it is also ducted with the main unit as well

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Cjp250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 08:49 AM   #7
BIGS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjp250 View Post
My Bhok has the dual zone thermostat and it is also ducted with the main unit as well

So your 2nd 2bedroom AC pushes air into the ducts towards the kitchen, bathroom, and living room?

I know our main unit goes into the ducts and that runs from bunk room all the way to the front bedroom.
acbigsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 04:17 PM   #8

It is ducted on newer models but the bedroom will not push anymore air into the living area .It is fighting against the air being blown from main unit.So it will only blow more air through the bedroom duct work.My experience with the bedroom unit is it is not needed at night time.And if you do have it on at night it sounds like a jet engine above your head and goes on and off quite frequently since it has its own temp sensor.Only takes a couple minutes to get bedroom bact to preset temp then shuts off.Then air temp rises a degree and it goes on again.Annoying to try and sleep with it on.

For the most part I only need it to cool camper off quicker when arriving at destination.Otherwise its off the entire time and really dont need it.Main unit does a great job in ours especially after I fixed all the duct work that forest river decided the roof void needed cooling! Lol

Rtazz17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:18 AM   #9

Thanks for the replies. Learning more about my camper everyday it seems. So now, I am guessing I should be looking at the ducted inside cover like I have now with the main unit.
Pbloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 10:46 AM   #10

To help combat the disturbing on off cycling just leave the fan in the on/low position then the only thing cycling is the compressor which is much less noticeable then dead silence to full on ac cycles. I find the steady drone of the blower on low also helps drown out the car doors slamming, golf cart on stone road, early bird chirping, and noisy neighbor sounds and helps to put me to sleep. IMO

Good luck Marc
93 F-250 XLT 4x4 Diesel Banks Sidewinder (gone but not forgotten)
79 Jeep CJ-7
77 F-250 Crew Cab Short Bed 4x4
supercab79 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2014, 365, 365saq, bed, roo